• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    bq4yp3apmyyy.jpg

Just cause, if Pip can, I can.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach

Oh I NEED to snuggle him. What a cutie. Love the picture, thanks.

Janetr okc (still in SE MO)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Alert! Alert! Alert!

Check out Mary's thread in the success stories forum.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a direct link from my iPad.

Great job @fanncy0626 .

Katiebug, thanks for the alert. Mary you are Awwwwmazing. I have you to thank for my own start into weight training and kettlebells. I'll never be as dedicated as you are, but I'm definitely stronger and in better shape and for that I'm eternally grateful to you for your inspiration.

Janetr okc
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... second cup of coffee on its way, and feeling I might survive this morning. Glad to be back, and glad to be going on with the rest of our lives... feels as if I've turned a mental corner into recommitting to this life, here in this place, instead of aching to be moving on elsewhere.

Corey and I are extraordinarily goal-oriented, and we've finally got our goals nailed down, with a three-to-five year plan out in front of us to get us where we want, doing what we want for the rest of our lives, by the time I turn 62, or possibly earlier. During my visit with my sis, in a conversation with a friend of hers, she said something I really hadn't thought about. We were talking about what my husband and I have planned to do, and she turned to her friend and said, "The scary part about that is, when they say 'This is what we're going to do,' then they actually do it, every time."

She's right--we do. My sis is only two years younger than I am, at 54--and she's having a really hard time even thinking a few months ahead. Her husband, who's nearly 60, just received a diagnosis of testicular cancer, and even though it's the most highly treatable cancer, with the highest survivable rate, it's scary to hear it, I know. My brother-in-law is a veteran, and being treated at a VA center, but saying the VA doesn't have the best reputation for medical care is seriously understating the case. My heart is hurting for her--she's the baby of our family, and I've rescued her from more than one tough situation, but I can't fix this one for her, and we both know it. He is, finally, the man she waited for all her life--and she may not have nearly enough time with him. There are no words that describe that bone-deep fear.

Barbie - you're in my heart and on my mind, my dear, and self-orientation right now is probably the absolute best thing you can be doing. It will pay off handsomely in your recovery. Self-oriented and selfish are two very different things. Keep reaching out, we'll be here. You've supported all of us, and continue to by keeping this thread going every month, in ways both active and in the background. You are loved.

Hope all have a lovely week--Fall arrived here yesterday with the cool rain, and the temp today is only supposed to get up to 61, even after the rain dissipates around noon-ish. 61 in West Texas is sweater weather!

Love y'all,
    Pensively...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit~ Looks like a white version of my Homer,,,,
    Lisa~ I sorta understand what you are saying, Tom is 2 yrs away from retirement.. and I asked him what he wants to do? and If I know him, he is like his dad, worked until he couldn't anymore.. I told him quite a few weeks ago that what are you going to do, work until you cant and end up with dementia like dad? he is so hel# bent on money he doesn't see the long term picture...
    did speak to my ex sister in law, and I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with insurance..there are only 2 insurance companies that are in the exchange here in Ct, and no matter if I want to get it on my own they will go by both our incomes.only way to go on my own is get divorced and will NOT do that.. so I don't know what we will be doing about that.. it is 40 degrees outside, jacket weather.. But Fall is my favorite season..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Morning! Need more coffee. Kudos to Mary, thoughts, vibes, and prayers for Barbieand Marcelyn as they both have surgery today, DJ Cute pup! What a sweet face! Lisa and Allie DH and I are in the same place you both seem to be. Working our tails off in hopes of some type of retirement. DH just got a letter from his employer offering early pension withdrawl. We are taking it. His company has been in the process of outsourcing and selling off bits and pieces of the company for years. We found out that they will be sending his position overseas. Taking the early pension (he will continue to work, just no retirement funds will accrue from point of payout). I have no faith that this company would have that pension available if he works until they finalize the move overseas. Heather- Your new recipe sounds wonderful. I love new flavors, too!
    I was so tired yesterday morning, but got a lot done yesterday, regardless. I started my morning with making a butternut squash soup. I was grating the ginger to go into it and the smell was UPLIFTING! Smelled just like spring! If I were a puppy, I am quite sure I would have rolled around in that smell.
    A little NSV: I began my walking challenge (4.5 miles a day) and I thought I would weigh in much lighter this morning. :/ Nope. Didn't happen. Of course I figured, fat turning to muscle=gain. So...I took my measurements. I lost 2 inches in both my waist and hips, 1 inch each in my thighs and bust. I will take that. Not as much fun as seeing the numbers go down on the scale, but loss is loss.
    Have a great day, everyone! I think I need a third cup of coffee.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Barbie, you just hang in there. We are all pulling for you!
    Well did a total of 32 miles on the bike this weekend. Was so lovely except for the part where I fell off on a turn... Part of making me feel like a child again I guess.
    Someday I would like to ride the entire Erie Canal...so peaceful!
    Betty
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    <3 Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement...my surgery is on Wednesday...today we pack and finish the last of the items on the "to do" list---tomorrow we board the pets and drive to Seattle to get settled in the hotel at the hospital and at 10:45 on Wednesday morning I'll check in at the hospital for my surgery that will be sometime after that...I don't know when I'll be coming home...but now I'm off the walk the dogs

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    MARCELYN & BARBIE ~ Thoughts with both of you today!

DJ ~ Love your pup. Makes you just want to cuddle with him.

KJ ~ Congrats on your inches lost. You seem to have so much energy and I know you did a great job hosting your son's party.

Both of my feet have problems this AM. On one I cut a toe nail to short and it hurts like crazy and on the other it feels like I got a stone bruise. Just hoping I am not getting a planter's wart.

As to retirement, I am so glad that I hung on to my teaching job until I got in my 30 years. With teacher retirement plus SS, I feel that I can make it. DH only gets a small SS so has to stay in the antique business to keep afloat.

Carol
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn & Barbie - I am sending good and healing vibes your way! I think the worst part of any medical procedure is waiting for it to be over. I'm hoping it will be very successful and make your days pain free.

DJ - that pup is so very cute. Can't imagine the sugar count he would be if he was anything other than a pup.

Charleen in Colorado (Back to cutting tile again to finish up master bath remodel)
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I haven't written much lately as, like so many of my friends here, I feel my life is in an upheaval. After seeing his Mom and how frail she is getting along with battling dementia and his brother's cancer returning that he was fighting a year ago, Jack feels his place may be here in SE Missouri to help in their care. We have looked at housing and are meeting with a realtor this morning to look at a couple homes. This is a big long distance move that will also affect our own children. Moving Jack's entire wood working shop is a nightmare in its self. I'm working on maintaining calmness and sanity. Right now I cant wrap my head around all the packing and moving it all so far plus the changing Driver License, banks, all that stuff we've had for years. But I know it can be done and having lost my own mother, I understand the need to be there and spend as much precious time with them as possible.

All of the meds finally got to me yesterday. I felt like a zombie, with dizziness, nausea, weakness and unsteady on my feet. I'm discontinuing all but the steroid and anti viral untl I see the doctor in the morning.

Janetr okc (pensive in SE MO)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug- thank you! I hope that my success story encourages others to get into whatever exercise works well for them.

Janetr - thank you! You and everyone on here or inspiration to me as well. We are so fortunate that Barbie started this thread!

Marcelyn and Barbie - my thoughts and prayers are with both of you as you prepare for your upcoming procedures and recovery time.

If anyone wants to join me I am doing 17 day keto diet. You ask why just 17 days, because I will be going on vacation after that and I know I will be eating more than I should and want to cleanse my body first. You can look up HFLC, or LCHF and get information on what to eat. Here are a few articles to get you started.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/ketogenic-diet-weakens-cancer-cells/

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/support-files/kd-basics.pdf

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    DJ, When I saw that picture, my first thought was, "What a cutie!" But since three other people have already told you that, I won't tell you that ;) . That dog is seriously adorable! My mother has one that looks very similar (only older).

Mary, So cool that you're inspiring more people with your success story! I've been following the thread, and your advice to people is down to earth and kind. I've got a question: When you had to increase your calories because you were losing weight too fast, by how much did you increase them? I'm definitely going to have to eat all my exercise calories (I usually eat most), but I still think that won't be enough. I've lost 5 lbs in the past week. I thought I lost water weight 'cause I was sick, but I keep dropping. I went into MFP to reset my goals, and it automatically lowered my calories by 90/day because of my weight loss. But that doesn't seem sensible. So I reset them to 70 over my previous calorie goals--or 160 over MFP's auto setting. It must be the Kettlebell workouts... I do not want to lose this quickly. But I don't want to gain, either!

Barbie, I'm with Lisa, Katla, and Peach--thinking about yourself right now is important. Surgery is a big deal, and you need to prepare in the way that works for you. I'm glad your doctor has lots of experience with it. I'm always a amused with the perception gap between experiencing surgery as a patient and my surgeon's perception. An experienced surgeon should think of procedures as fairly routine. But that doesn't mean I do!

Betty, I'm sorry you fell on your bike ride. :'(

Lisa, sending good thoughts to your sister and her husband.

KarenE
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    JANET ~ Prayers for you at this time when you must make a life changing decision.

CHARLEEN ~ Are you laying the tiles yourself? We have ceramic tile in our rental's dining and kitchen. When we got an estimate on regrouting and repairing a couple of broken tiles it came back at $500. DH finally bought a cheap tile cutter and replaced one of the tiles. I need to regrout the tiles in my shower but hesitate to start.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all!

Good wishes to Marcelyn and Barbie. My thoughts will be winging their way over the pond. <3

Janetr - Would it be possible to live in your RV in Missouri? Awful to say, but his mother and brother may not last long. :'( All that upheaval for such a short time. As I am going through a similar thing I know how it can keep you awake at night.

Lisa - Glad you are feeling more settled. At one time your plans were seemingly changing every week. :o:flowerforyou:

Today my son in Hove emailed me to say that he had posted my bday present. And to say he would be happy to take us on a tour of likely neighbourhoods in B/H. He recommended two that I had been looking at. One of them suits us very well - near the seafront and a train station which is 4 mins from their station and 1 hr 10 mins from London direct. :D The houses are semi detached with small gardens and parking for one car. Buses and trains and a nice walk along the promenade to all the happening stuff. Cycle routes.
    I rang the estate agent who was selling a house we liked (it's already under offer :'( ) and put our names on her list. Our own house is being valued on Wednesday, but we are going on holiday for a week from Monday, so can't do much right now. Need to have a stroll around the different areas.

Then we went shopping, but I couldn't find any short sleeved T shirts in a nice colour - wrong time of year. I bought two black vests and an exercise t shirt. Did some food shopping.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)<3Janetr, IF you and Jack decide that moving is what you must do, then you will work together one minute at a time to do the work....you can do it as a team....just stay in the moment.

<3 Barbie
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Morning all - Happy Monday - all 'round! - I had a good weekend - lots of work - we had 3 bushcords of wood delivered and fortunately for me - I got to do a lot of gardening and cleaning up around the house. My SO and his son did all that physical stuff - I've done it before - it is a HARD job. We all did so much around the house on Saturday, that I treated everyone to Sushi - it was fantastic. We had a lovely steelhead trout dinner with yams and salad - yummo!

Again I will reiterate; I love reading all of your posts, good, bad and otherwise. Good luck with your surgery @barbiecat ! - Take care of you!

Have an excellent day all! <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Karen E- during the week days I try to stay on a keto diet and eat between 1200 to 1400 cal. On the weekend I have eaten as high as 2000 to 3000 cal. I have been on maintenance mode and not logging religiously. If my clothes fit then I am doing great! Now since we are going to be going on vacation for 11 days I want to cut a few pounds because I know I will probably getting them back during vacation. That is why I am doing 17 days of Keto.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 150

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 20 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge