Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    14359120_10100212441085291_9031945156565717224_n.jpg?oh=67937b4faafb6526f16f15b42de86569&oe=5875A1F0

scale is actually up about 2lbs from the left middle picture at 10m. Can't complain about results I am seeing so it is more of just keep trucking along.

Wait... how did you do that in 1 1/2 months?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    14359120_10100212441085291_9031945156565717224_n.jpg?oh=67937b4faafb6526f16f15b42de86569&oe=5875A1F0

scale is actually up about 2lbs from the left middle picture at 10m. Can't complain about results I am seeing so it is more of just keep trucking along.

@DebSozo She did it in 11 and 1/2 (eleven and a half) months, not 1 and 1/2
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I remember first reading this thread over a year ago and wanting to try a recomp. I overthought it like crazy. Then I gave up and went the cut and bulk route.

Now it seems so simple. Eat at maintenance. Train hard. Even better if you have fitness goals-and the physique will follow. Now recomp is all I do...it's called eating TDEE and picking things up/putting them down.

Yah I kept overthinking it too. Now I am bulking. Just because it is in line with my goals at the moment. Oh well maybe next year I will give recomp a real try.

You're lucky to be lean enough to bulk! I'll never be there again, that's why I'll either be cutting or maintaining for life...

You don't need to bulk or cut again, you are definitely at a place were recomp for life is going to serve you well!

Thank you. I just love extremes lol.
  • DebSozo

@DebSozo She did it in 11 and 1/2 (eleven and a half) months, not 1 and 1/2

I meant between 10 months and 11 1/2
  • DebSozo
    Ive never been able get much better than her 10 month look (which is fantastic imo) plus sunflowerhippi gained 2 pounds.
  • BodyByBex
    Ive never been able get much better than her 10 month look (which is fantastic imo) plus sunflowerhippi gained 2 pounds.

Maybe a diet adjustment? Maybe lifting heavier?

I haven't really gotten much farther than probably where she was at the 8 month mark. :grumble: So I know THAT struggle.
    I'm changing up my own routine and diet a little bit to see if I can get some more changes over the next few months.

• DebSozo

I haven't really gotten much farther than probably where she was at the 8 month mark. :grumble: So I know THAT struggle.
    I'm changing up my own routine and diet a little bit to see if I can get some more changes over the next few months.

Thanks. I was hoping Sunflowerhippi would share "how" specifically she did it. Amazing results!
  • BodyByBex

Thanks. I was hoping @sunflowerhippi i would share "how" specifically she did it. Amazing results!

I still am... Never give up hope! :flowerforyou:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2016
    psulemon wrote: »
    I tend to see results quicker than average, I suppose.

Not suggesting they won't see improvement, even in a short period of time. Many of us have seen improved looks and aesthetic in short periods but it depends how much change is required to hit their goal. For someone who has a good amount of weight to lose, recomp isn't an effective plan. But someone who is more lean, this could be a very good plan.

Other considerations are dietary knowledge and training.

I wonder if some who go right into recomp from losing a decent amount of weight also have a problem with the speed of improvement because they're still having problems seeing themselves as they are, as many who've recently lost weight do. Smaller changes would likely go completely unnoticed by them.

I do have to admit I have the same issue. There are a few changes I'll notice right away - shoulder and arm development - and the rest seems to just barely creep along if it appears to me to improve at all. Clothing fit will tell a different story by the end of the year, though, I can guarantee having done this before.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

Not suggesting they won't see improvement, even in a short period of time. Many of us have seen improved looks and aesthetic in short periods but it depends how much change is required to hit their goal. For someone who has a good amount of weight to lose, recomp isn't an effective plan. But someone who is more lean, this could be a very good plan.

I wonder if some who go right into recomp from losing a decent amount of weight also have a problem with the speed of improvement because they're still having problems seeing themselves as they are, as many who've recently lost weight do. Smaller changes would likely go completely unnoticed by them.

I do have to admit I have the same issue. There are a few changes I'll notice right away - shoulder and arm development - and the rest seems to just barely creep along if it appears to me to improve at all. Clothing fit will tell a different story by the end of the year, though, I can guarantee having done this before.

This is why I take pics every few days. I didn't have a lot to lose, 46 lbs, but I still have some dismorphia. I had it before I lost the weight too (went from 181 down to 135). Never really saw how big I really was unless it was pics. Still have that problem now, only now I don't see how small I am unless its a picture.
  • frankie671
    frankie671 Posts: 51 Member
    My question... anyone who knows a bit about body recomping, do you think I'm ready to do so or should I lose weight first? I'm 4ft 11in, aged 24, female, 120lbs, BMI of 24, body fat of 25%, have been weight training 4x a week for about 2 months, walk every day and do cardio for an hour on a Saturday. I don't mind my weight, it's just a number, but I want to get lean. Would trying to recomp be futile? Should I be aiming for a certain BMI first or something? I don't mind if it takes a long time, just want to know if it's worth actually doing. The idea of a bulk and then a cut terrifies me (history of eating problems). :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    frankie671 wrote: »
    My question... anyone who knows a bit about body recomping, do you think I'm ready to do so or should I lose weight first? I'm 4ft 11in, aged 24, female, 120lbs, BMI of 24, body fat of 25%, have been weight training 4x a week for about 2 months, walk every day and do cardio for an hour on a Saturday. I don't mind my weight, it's just a number, but I want to get lean. Would trying to recomp be futile? Should I be aiming for a certain BMI first or something? I don't mind if it takes a long time, just want to know if it's worth actually doing. The idea of a bulk and then a cut terrifies me (history of eating problems). :)

I personally think you would see results a bit quicker if you do a small deficit (10% less than TDEE), continue to work on nutrition (protein around 1g/lbm to 1g/lb of weight) and focus on a progress overload workout like one of these.

If you are tired of "dieting" or need a break, there is no reason you can't take a break at maintenance and see if you make results while you are on a break.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Well there are no doubt mental battles that many people face. And this is why I suggest body fat readings, tape measurements and photos to anyone I work with. There are tons of ways to measure progress, the scale is only one.
  • frankie671

I personally think you would see results a bit quicker if you do a small deficit (10% less than TDEE), continue to work on nutrition (protein around 1g/lbm to 1g/lb of weight) and focus on a progress overload workout like one of these.

If you are tired of "dieting" or need a break, there is no reason you can't take a break at maintenance and see if you make results while you are on a break.

Thanks so much for your reponse. My TDEE is around 1600 and I tend to eat around 1450 so I'll stick with this and see what happens. I aim for 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (have been doing that for about 2 weeks now) but do need to get better at hitting my other macros. Sounds like I'm sort of doing the right thing, so that's good to know! Will also read the info on that link :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

You can recomp at any weight or bodyfat %. You may not be able to see the results easily when you aren't so lean of course but that doesn't change the process or the benefits.

Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.

Totally agree with the points made by @psulemon

Remember that deficit doesn't have to be large (at the tail end of my weight loss I was down to 1lb/month deficit) and it doesn't have to be every day. I'm a bit weird (in so many ways! :blush: ) but I feel far less restricted when cutting weight by mostly eating at maintenance and having odd days with a deficit. Just like recomp losing the last few pounds can take a long time if you wish.

Regarding....
    The idea of a bulk and then a cut terrifies me (history of eating problems). :)
    Your health is far more important than vanity pounds or a certain look so don't risk triggering issues, be kind to yourself.
  • DebSozo

Any improvement is perceived as good improvement, IMO. Lol.

I show improvements quickly in shoulders, arms, and legs. I'm in awe of the people who have great abdominals.
  • DebSozo
    sijomial wrote: »

You can recomp at any weight or bodyfat %. You may not be able to see the results easily when you aren't so lean of course but that doesn't change the process or the benefits...

Remember that deficit doesn't have to be large (at the tail end of my weight loss I was down to 1lb/month deficit) and it doesn't have to be every day. I'm a bit weird (in so many ways! :blush: ) but I feel far less restricted when cutting weight by mostly eating at maintenance and having odd days with a deficit. Just like recomp losing the last few pounds can take a long time if you wish.

I like your technique and have a small deficit also. My body establishes an annoying and stubborn homeostasis that it wants to remain at. So I have to lose a bit, maintain, and then work diligently to lose a bit more and then maintain.
  • frankie671

You can recomp at any weight or bodyfat %. You may not be able to see the results easily when you aren't so lean of course but that doesn't change the process or the benefits.

Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.

Regarding....
    Your health is far more important than vanity pounds or a certain look so don't risk triggering issues, be kind to yourself.

Thanks so much for your advice. On this point: 'Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.' do you mean that the only way to get that 'lean' look at my height would be to do a bulk and a cut? Sorry if I sound stupid!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Regarding....

Thanks so much for your advice. On this point: 'Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.' do you mean that the only way to get that 'lean' look at my height would be to do a bulk and a cut? Sorry if I sound stupid!

Nope - bulk and cut isn't magic, you can get to your genetic potential either way.

Just suggesting that lean at your height and 120lbs might be ambitious or at least take quite a long time. Building muscle isn't a fast process irrespective of calorie balance (unless you are particularly gifted).
    Does depend what you regard as lean of course, lean in physique competition terms is very different to lean in general population terms.
  • DebSozo

Regarding....

I don't like bulking because I tend to get larger arms and thighs than I like when I bulk. So recomp for me allows me to weigh the same and get more compact (ex. flatter belly, muscle definition, firmer arms and legs). I did choose to try out recomp because I had hit a plateau and figured I might as well do something productive in the meantime. I thought about it for a bit before I started and am glad I did because I got good results and changed my body shape for the positive.