Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• BeatriceCroacia
    BeatriceCroacia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read all of these 33 pages and still don't know what to do haha
    Before christmas I had been recomping for a year and really loved results, I was very lean. But in last 2 months I just ate alllllll the time. Of course I gained weight (15lbs or so), and although I have been working out (lifting+ cardio/hiit), I am sure it is a fat gain mostly. I don't mind number on the scale so I don't know if I should be still doing recomp or lose gained weight and than recomp?

Thank you
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    So, is there any info about body fat percentages and recomp? I have been aiming to start in about March and by he looks of it I should be close to goal weight by then. After typing my stats into multiple online body fat percentage calculators I am currently at about 26%bf. Should I get down closer to 22%. Will recomp be any easier or harder with less or more body fat??
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    So, is there any info about body fat percentages and recomp? I have been aiming to start in about March and by he looks of it I should be close to goal weight by then. After typing my stats into multiple online body fat percentage calculators I am currently at about 26%bf. Should I get down closer to 22%. Will recomp be any easier or harder with less or more body fat??

I think 26% body fat would be perfect for recomp. Basically if you do not want to lose any more weight but are unhappy with how you look recomp would be appropriate. 22% body fat would be a great spot to start a bulk.

This is from an article from Lyle (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html). It is about what body fat % would be good for a bulk but it gives you a general idea:
    If you’re above 15% body fat (about 24-27% for women), diet first. If you can get to the 10-12% (19-24%) body fat range or so, I think you’ll be in an overall better position to gain mass. Trying to get super lean will probably end up screwing you in the long run because your body will be primed to put back fat on (and most other physiological systems are screwed up as well) when you get super lean.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info and the link!!
  • bioklutz
    Options
    I've read all of these 33 pages and still don't know what to do haha
    Before christmas I had been recomping for a year and really loved results, I was very lean. But in last 2 months I just ate alllllll the time. Of course I gained weight (15lbs or so), and although I have been working out (lifting+ cardio/hiit), I am sure it is a fat gain mostly. I don't mind number on the scale so I don't know if I should be still doing recomp or lose gained weight and than recomp?

Thank you

If I gained 15 pounds in 2 months I would cut. That is a lot! It probably is mostly fat and a tiny bit of muscle (if you were following a progressive lifting program).

Are you happy with the weight you put on? How lean were you ? You say you don't mind the number on the scale. What are your goals?

Just to be clear recomp is maintaining your weight (not gaining!) and following a progressive lifting program.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, I totally realized that in my post above (quoted below), that I didn't say anything about my goals, and how it's been going. Using the Garmin app with my Vivofit, I see that my average weight for the last 122k has remained 141.2. my goal weight, with some spikes to 142.2. but it's still lower than my average over the last 20 days of 142.

I'm a skinny dude looking to add muscle tone while I recomp, I don't have much access to weights, just 2 15# dumbells and my 12Kg Kettlebell, which is my favorite. Basically I just want to tone up, and add some mass, but nt too much since I'm a peopleMcNugget. Am I on the right track?
    I think I finally read through all of this discussion, and it is awesome. I only needed to drop 5 pounds to reach the weight I wanted to be at, and I'm working on recomping. The hard thing for for me right now is eating enough calories without blowing out my fat and sodium levels. I' 5'5" 141# right now, and looking to start building up my muscle mass while dropping some more fat. I figured out my TDEE, which is 2390 (actually doing 10% defecit to lose fat) and an working on eating to that, been under most days, because my sodium count always gets too high for what I want/need (Have hypertension), and I just don't feel hungry enough to eat that much. Walking 40 minutes per week day (2 2o minute walks), Doing a 25 minute Kettlebell circuit 2 days a week for 25 minutes, plus a 45 minute HIIT workout on Saturdays and Running/walking 1:10/0:50 intervals 4-5 miles every Sunday.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So, I totally realized that in my post above (quoted below), that I didn't say anything about my goals, and how it's been going. Using the Garmin app with my Vivofit, I see that my average weight for the last 122k has remained 141.2. my goal weight, with some spikes to 142.2. but it's still lower than my average over the last 20 days of 142.

I'm a skinny dude looking to add muscle tone while I recomp, I don't have much access to weights, just 2 15# dumbells and my 12Kg Kettlebell, which is my favorite. Basically I just want to tone up, and add some mass, but nt too much since I'm a peopleMcNugget. Am I on the right track?
    I think I finally read through all of this discussion, and it is awesome. I only needed to drop 5 pounds to reach the weight I wanted to be at, and I'm working on recomping. The hard thing for for me right now is eating enough calories without blowing out my fat and sodium levels. I' 5'5" 141# right now, and looking to start building up my muscle mass while dropping some more fat. I figured out my TDEE, which is 2390 (actually doing 10% defecit to lose fat) and an working on eating to that, been under most days, because my sodium count always gets too high for what I want/need (Have hypertension), and I just don't feel hungry enough to eat that much. Walking 40 minutes per week day (2 2o minute walks), Doing a 25 minute Kettlebell circuit 2 days a week for 25 minutes, plus a 45 minute HIIT workout on Saturdays and Running/walking 1:10/0:50 intervals 4-5 miles every Sunday.

You aren't going to add any mass with those weights. You need a progressive overload program.

Depending on your strength, you might (and I'm thinking a long shot) be able to add a little bit of mass with a progressive bodyweight program, but I do think you will need a calorie surplus for it to "might" happen.

Really, you need more weights.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You aren't going to add any mass with those weights. You need a progressive overload program.

Depending on your strength, you might (and I'm thinking a long shot) be able to add a little bit of mass with a progressive bodyweight program, but I do think you will need a calorie surplus for it to "might" happen.

yeah, I figured as much. Pricing up weights to get started on upping things
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

If cost is an issue, garage sales, Craigslist, or places like Goodwill may pay off, with a time investment.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If cost is an issue, garage sales, Craigslist, or places like Goodwill may pay off, with a time investment.

This and next month are probably prime time for Craigslist purchasing. Plenty of people will be giving up on their New Year's resolution for the last time until next year.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    This and next month are probably prime time for Craigslist purchasing. Plenty of people will be giving up on their New Year's resolution for the last time until next year.

That's my plan, searching craigslist for stuff people don't want after realizing they aren't into it
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been recomping about 6months and have seen some change. 43 yr old woman 5'10 68 kg/150lb about 24% bf. Lifting heavy for me deadlift 75 kg/155lb, bench 40kg/80lb, front squat 52.5kg/ 115lb, leg press 90kg/198 lb oh press 20kg/40lb, progressive overload. My question is the last few weeks my tummy looks all soft and squidgy again and I'm not sure if that's just part of the weight/fat lose. Was nice tight 4weeks. Just wonder if anyone else experiences this?
  • bioklutz
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    I've been recomping about 6months and have seen some change. 43 yr old woman 5'10 68 kg/150lb about 24% bf. Lifting heavy for me deadlift 75 kg/155lb, bench 40kg/80lb, front squat 52.5kg/ 115lb, leg press 90kg/198 lb oh press 20kg/40lb, progressive overload. My question is the last few weeks my tummy looks all soft and squidgy again and I'm not sure if that's just part of the weight/fat lose. Was nice tight 4weeks. Just wonder if anyone else experiences this?

Sometimes when certain parts of my body lean out other parts just seem huge by comparison. Could that be what is going on?

The other thing that happens to me is if I have a high sodium meal or drink enough booze to get drunk the water weight seems to settle in my thighs. The sodium weight comes off pretty quickly but the booze weight seems to stick around for many weeks.
  • BeatriceCroacia
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    If I gained 15 pounds in 2 months I would cut. That is a lot! It probably is mostly fat and a tiny bit of muscle (if you were following a progressive lifting program).

Are you happy with the weight you put on? How lean were you ? You say you don't mind the number on the scale. What are your goals?

Just to be clear recomp is maintaining your weight (not gaining!) and following a progressive lifting program.

Yeahhh maybe I did gain little too much so I think I will cut. I am just worried that I'll lose all the muscles. Is -500 too big deficit to keep them? Do you think that I could have abs again in a year?Obviously I regret the fat gain because I had around 16%bf. But all that delicious food finished my looong clean recomp

I don't have goal weight, but I'd like to build more muscles (michelle lewin). Is recomp enough or should I cut and than do clean bulk
  • bioklutz
    Options

Yeahhh maybe I did gain little too much so I think I will cut. I am just worried that I'll lose all the muscles. Is -500 too big deficit to keep them? Do you think that I could have abs again in a year?Obviously I regret the fat gain because I had around 16%bf. But all that delicious food finished my looong clean recomp

I don't have goal weight, but I'd like to build more muscles (michelle lewin). Is recomp enough or should I cut and than do clean bulk

I personally would find a 500 calorie deficit too much to maintain while lifting. You may have to play around with it to see what works for you.

16% body fat is really lean for women. That might be difficult to maintain. How did you have this tested?

You might like the results of a few bulks and cut cycles more than recomp. Start a bulk around 19- 24% body fat. Cut when you are around 24-27% (these numbers are for women).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Only 15 lbs to lose to healthy, or lower than healthy weight - 500 would be aggressive - and risky to your desire.

Reasonable deficit, resistance training, enough protein - 3 things to keep the muscle.

There is some trading balance there - like enough resistance training can allow reasonable deficit to be bigger along with enough protein.

But why not just do 500 for a month to drop the 4 lbs, then go to 250. You don't have to keep the same deficit all the way down.
  • BeatriceCroacia
    Options
    I think I will do so. Thanks to all of you I don't feel lost anymore :smiley: you really helped
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options

Thanks for the article.
    --

Can someone help explain this bolded part?

"3. Only try to add mass/bulk until you hit the top end body fat percentage listed in #1 above. So that’s about 15% body fat for men and 24-27% body fat for women. What this would mean in practice is that you diet to 10-12% body fat for men (22-24% for women), eat at maintenance for two weeks to try and normalize things, and
    then add mass until you hit 15% body fat for men (22-24% for women) and then diet back down. Over a number of cycles, you should be able to increase your muscle mass while keeping body fat under control.

I'm currently dieting to get down to 24% bf.
    Once there, I'll eat at maintenance for 2weeks.
    -->> THEN what do I do? Try to add mass? How? Until I hit 24% bf? But I will already be 24% bf.

Still don't understand the bulk/cut world.

Appreciate your teachings (planning ahead for the next steps).
    Amanda
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »

Thanks for the article.
    --

"3. Only try to add mass/bulk until you hit the top end body fat percentage listed in #1 above. So that’s about 15% body fat for men and 24-27% body fat for women. What this would mean in practice is that you diet to 10-12% body fat for men (22-24% for women), eat at maintenance for two weeks to try and normalize things, and
    then add mass until you hit 15% body fat for men (22-24% for women) and then diet back down. Over a number of cycles, you should be able to increase your muscle mass while keeping body fat under control.

-->> THEN what do I do? Try to add mass? How? Until I hit 24% bf? But I will already be 24% bf.

Amanda

For bulking and cutting (which recomposition is kind of the opposite of) you diet down below 24% before you'd bulk. The idea is that as you get your body fat lower, your insulin sensitivity changes and your body will partition calories differently with it favoring a higher percentage of the excess calories of a bulk going to muscle building than it would in person with more fat.

If you plan to be at 24% bf, you're already at the top of the recommendations. You would not bulk. If you're not interested in dieting below 24% to start with, you're better off looking at recomposition (eating a maintenance while lifting to gain muscle, while slowly losing equivalent mass of fat) or you'd have to accept that bulking will not work as well and involve being at a high body fat percentage at the end of the bulking cycle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »

Thanks for the article.
    --

Amanda

Add mass until up at 27% level. He got the numbers wrong, but did refer to #1 where he used them first.

Eat 250-500 calories extra daily over what you ate for maintenance for 2 weeks.

The more time you have for progressive overload weight lifting routine - the higher that surplus can be.
    Or like the this topic is on, you may not wish to add fat back on, and what closer to recomp, so just 250 more for minimal fat added.