Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    frankie671 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    My question... anyone who knows a bit about body recomping, do you think I'm ready to do so or should I lose weight first? I'm 4ft 11in, aged 24, female, 120lbs, BMI of 24, body fat of 25%, have been weight training 4x a week for about 2 months, walk every day and do cardio for an hour on a Saturday. I don't mind my weight, it's just a number, but I want to get lean. Would trying to recomp be futile? Should I be aiming for a certain BMI first or something? I don't mind if it takes a long time, just want to know if it's worth actually doing. The idea of a bulk and then a cut terrifies me (history of eating problems). :)

You can recomp at any weight or bodyfat %. You may not be able to see the results easily when you aren't so lean of course but that doesn't change the process or the benefits.

Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.

Totally agree with the points made by @psulemon

Remember that deficit doesn't have to be large (at the tail end of my weight loss I was down to 1lb/month deficit) and it doesn't have to be every day. I'm a bit weird (in so many ways! :blush: ) but I feel far less restricted when cutting weight by mostly eating at maintenance and having odd days with a deficit. Just like recomp losing the last few pounds can take a long time if you wish.

Regarding....
    The idea of a bulk and then a cut terrifies me (history of eating problems). :)
    Your health is far more important than vanity pounds or a certain look so don't risk triggering issues, be kind to yourself.

Thanks so much for your advice. On this point: 'Yes you can get leaner by recomping, but that's a bit different to getting lean at 4'11" and 120lbs.' do you mean that the only way to get that 'lean' look at my height would be to do a bulk and a cut? Sorry if I sound stupid!

Nope - bulk and cut isn't magic, you can get to your genetic potential either way.

Just suggesting that lean at your height and 120lbs might be ambitious or at least take quite a long time. Building muscle isn't a fast process irrespective of calorie balance (unless you are particularly gifted).
    Does depend what you regard as lean of course, lean in physique competition terms is very different to lean in general population terms.

This is a key point! I'm talking general population terms. Competition physique is a whole other matter that I will never experience.
    B)
  • frankie671
    frankie671 Posts: 51 Member
    Ah yes! Well I don't want to look competition lean (actually, I would love to, but I haven't quite got that level of dedication!) but lean as in maybe get to about 18%-20% body fat. I've always been good at losing large quantities of weight but I've never really shifted the fat so this time I am determinnnned!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Ah yes! Well I don't want to look competition lean (actually, I would love to, but I haven't quite got that level of dedication!) but lean as in maybe get to about 18%-20% body fat. I've always been good at losing large quantities of weight but I've never really shifted the fat so this time I am determinnnned!

Just continue doing what you are doing and 18-20% should be achievable and that is lean.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016

In my "general population" world your profile pic looks lean. My perspective is rather subjective. Wow. @20% I would be doing the happy dance!
  • frankie671
    frankie671 Posts: 51 Member
    Awesome! Watch this space ;) It's funny really, I never used to be a huge fan of exercise (always been active but never a gym goer) and for some reason something has 'clicked' this year and I now absolutely love it, can't wait to get down there every day. So hopefully, I will stick to this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Awesome! Watch this space ;) It's funny really, I never used to be a huge fan of exercise (always been active but never a gym goer) and for some reason something has 'clicked' this year and I now absolutely love it, can't wait to get down there every day. So hopefully, I will stick to this.

That's great, enjoy the ride.
  • njsa95
    njsa95 Posts: 4 Member
    Where can we learn more about recomposition? I am at a weight im okay with, and have 20 to 23% BF depending on the method of measurement;all i really want right now is to recompose so i have more muscle as opposed to fat. (The jigggly bit between my thighs is still there,for example, whereas everywhere else i have slimmed down).
    I currently do kickboxing 4 times a week, and bodyweight resistance training--not much else.is there a way to recompose with just this or must i lift?
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    njsa95 wrote: »
    Where can we learn more about recomposition? I am at a weight im okay with, and have 20 to 23% BF depending on the method of measurement;all i really want right now is to recompose so i have more muscle as opposed to fat. (The jigggly bit between my thighs is still there,for example, whereas everywhere else i have slimmed down).
    I currently do kickboxing 4 times a week, and bodyweight resistance training--not much else.is there a way to recompose with just this or must i lift?

-- progressive overload. Bodyweight resistance training alone isn't enough to recomp because your goal is to increase muscles. You have to progressively increase your weights to build muscle.

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Ive never been able get much better than her 10 month look (which is fantastic imo) plus sunflowerhippi gained 2 pounds.

Maybe a diet adjustment? Maybe lifting heavier?

I haven't really gotten much farther than probably where she was at the 8 month mark. :grumble: So I know THAT struggle.
    I'm changing up my own routine and diet a little bit to see if I can get some more changes over the next few months.

Thanks. I was hoping Sunflowerhippi would share "how" specifically she did it. Amazing results!

Sorry I don't get onto a computer often to check back into threads. I am usually on here on my phone. I missed all these comments.

I got lazy with my diet and at around maintenance, within 100 calories or so plus or minus was my goal that I didn't always keep as the scale would tell me, but kept progressing with my lifting. I was in the middle of 2 big challenges I am participating in and I let that "break" mean a surplus for a bit. Opps I am also a sick sick little girl mentally and actually enjoy ab work lol so I do weighted decline sit ups (3-5 sets of 20 or so with varied 25-50lbs dumbbells), hanging weighted leg lifts (tucks, pikes, side bends), 45lb plate side bends. I do abs everyday on top of whatever my scheduled workout is. Then there is the ab use in deadlifts, squats, good mornings.

I also just am genetically lucky. I have what I would best describe/say is shallow ab muscles and even overweight they are visible. At 190lbs I could see the outline of them, now I am 50lbs less then that so even with my loose skin they are pretty visible flexed/unflexed.
  • DebSozo
    Thanks for responding. :)
  • DebSozo
    My brother is genetically fortunate also. He always has a nice abdomen and doesn't gain much fat over his abdominals.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,083 Member

-- progressive overload. Bodyweight resistance training alone isn't enough to recomp because your goal is to increase muscles. You have to progressively increase your weights to build muscle.

I would have to disagree. I would say a better way to say this is it is far more difficult do recomp with bodyweight training because to increase load you have to get very creative. Gymnasts generally only do bodyweight training, but they are really built. Weights make it much much easier, and quicker.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2016

I would have to disagree. I would say a better way to say this is it is far more difficult do recomp with bodyweight training because to increase load you have to get very creative. Gymnasts generally only do bodyweight training, but they are really built. Weights make it much much easier, and quicker.

Yes I think anyone involved in gymnastic strength training would agree that body weight training is enough to recoup. To a point of course...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

Yes I think anyone involved in gymnastic strength training would agree that body weight training is enough to recoup. To a point of course...

Also, competitive swimmers. Although they do some weight training eventually. But they build some amazing muscles using mostly bodyweight and water resistance. I should post pix of my young men!

But I think the point is that you are still progressing with reps or time spent when you are using bodyweight. At some point, the time spent/number of reps will become cumbersome. And actual lifting while adding resistance (weight) is more efficient.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    tigerblue wrote: »

Also, competitive swimmers. Although they do some weight training eventually. But they build some amazing muscles using mostly bodyweight and water resistance. I should post pix of my young men!

But I think the point is that you are still progressing with reps or time spent when you are using bodyweight. At some point, the time spent/number of reps will become cumbersome. And actual lifting while adding resistance (weight) is more efficient.

Not essentially about reps. The body weight exercises have to progress to more challenging ones. Example would be a pike press with feet on the floor, then feet elevated, then full on handstand press up...
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016

OP already is doing body weight resistance training.

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member

Not essentially about reps. The body weight exercises have to progress to more challenging ones. Example would be a pike press with feet on the floor, then feet elevated, then full on handstand press up...

Good points here and above. For me, it is difficult to add more challenge without it being too much. I am past the "beginner" stage but don't necessarily have the balance, coordination, strength, athleticism, etc to progress to the harder exercises. I did some video programs and ran into this roadblock near the end of the programs.

But with weights you can progress more gradually. A few pounds added instead of 10 lbs added,etc.

So it is definitely simpler and more efficient to do weight training if you can.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member

Agreed have you seen how shredded the U.S. Women's olympic gymnasts are? I mean I know they're olympic gymnasts and probably incorporate strength training, but their eight pack abs seriously give bodybuilders a run for their money. Body weight exercise can recomp the body, it will just be slower than a traditional strength training program.