How bad would someone's form need to be for you to say something?

Options
Just curious, because man... there is a guy at my gym every morning that just scares the heck out of me with his form for kettlebell swings (and pretty much everything else he does).

I haven't said anything, and don't really plan to.

Replies

• ArmsandCharms
    ArmsandCharms Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Nevermind, joke taken wrong! ;)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would never. I mind my business. Life is easier that way.
  • ArmsandCharms
    Options
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

right? lol
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I mean, "say something"? I think it depends on what you say and how you say it. You'll want to be well relieved. I would hit the Go-Go Gadget good manners button and proceed with as little arrogance and condescension as possible. People tend to get offended when advice or criticism is offered rather than asked for. I think the person will thank you once they see the light. If they are at risk of injuring them self you should not wait another day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I pay for the person's health insurance I will say something. Otherwise, I will not say anything.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ehhh I generally keep my mouth shut in a regular gym but if I saw him everyday and his form was so bad it was very likely to cause injury I'd say something. I'd probably strike up a casual conversation and then add something along the lines of, "wow it's so awesome to see you in here doing KB swings everyday, they're one of my favorite exercises to do. Once my trainer showed my how to explosively hinge at the hip and actively pull the bell down it's made such a difference in how much strength i'm gaining in my glutes and hamstrings" or something along the lines of whatever his flaw might be. I definitely wouldn't press too hard though.
  • ArmsandCharms
    Options
    For the record, I didn't actually video her. I'm being sarcastic. Hard to tell over text I guess....and if I thought she was seriously going to hurt herself I would have said something.
  • ArmsandCharms
    Options
    sensitive crowd
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I said something once when I couple of young guys were standing on a box and doing deadlifts. They were arcing their backs like scared cats. I had just read an article about the dangers of that. No one else was in the gym so as I was leaving I said "would you mind if I shared something I read with you?" And then explained that I was worried they'd injure themselves. They didn't seem overly receptive but they didn't tell me to get lost either. I don't know if they took my advice or not. I think I would have felt worse if I didn't say anything to them at all. At least my conscience is clean. I see a lot of poor form but nothing as bad as that as far as potential injuries.