How bad would someone's form need to be for you to say something?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a licensed trainer and carry your own insurance plan you shouldn't say anything to anyone in a gym or anywhere for that matter in terms of how they're performing an exercise. All you need is for someone to hurt their neck or back on the squat rack, they turn around and blame you for the injury, they sue you for everything you got. End-o-story. Even if you're a certified trainer, if the person isn't your client... just look the other way!

i am curious about the last bit, is that incase of law suits?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    I don't understand the mind your own business crew, especially those who can see what the person is doing could be dangerous

1.) I see people doing dangerous things all the time. I don't flag people down on the roads and tell them to put their seat belts on. If I see somebody smoking a cigarette, I don't walk up and tell them that it's dangerous for them to do that. I don't approach morbidly obese people and explain the many health hazards associated with their condition.

Why is the gym any different?

You are so right. I have seen news clips when they set up a lone child pretending to be distressed to see what the reaction of passers by are. Its now not surprising why so many people just walk on by.

I understand now, its the mind ya own business crew.

I am not a gym floor goer so wouldnt be able to correct anyone but if i see a young child crossing the road dangerously with their younger sibling I will correct them to mind themselves. I will help a child find his/her mum in the supermarket.

because that's EXACTLY the same kind of scenario...

/rollseyes

keep rolling it until your eyes pop out if you like

you keep posting stuff like you did that's such a huge extreme leap of "ownership" and responsibility and "doing the right thing" vs minding your own business- and I'm gonna keep rolling my eyes- maybe they do fall out and in which case- hopefully I won't have to read that drivel.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I typically don't say anything at all unless they're going to break a favorite piece of equipment I like using. Then it's fair game. If they hurt themselves simply because they failed to take the time to educate themselves on proper lifting technique, that's on them. If they break a piece of gear because they failed to educate themselves on proper equipment usage, that's on everybody that wants to use it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    When I was overweight, I had people giving me unsolicited advice all the time. They felt comfortable with telling the "fat girl" how to do it. I put up with it back then, because I had low self esteem. I'm waiting for someone to do it now, so I can punch them in the nose. Hasn't happened yet. If you feel the need to give someone advice, don't. Mind your own business. You're truly not as awesome as you think you are.

Maybe they were trying to encourage you?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Holy cow. Read all the way through people...Should have put a giant haha/JK on the end.

Yeah! Ya think? The way you worded that left NO indication that it was a joke. In fact I don't believe you when you claim it was a joke, I think you are trying to save face after posting your dirty deed. Either way, NOT funny.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You know how you all say to tell the gym staff

Are all your gym staff trained then, mine aren't ...a couple of them are trainers, but the the type of trainers who show people how to use the equipment, give them a standard workout routine and sometimes count reps

There are several certified trainers at my gym. I wouldn't feel bad about mentioning it at the front desk and having them have someone look at it, but then I am living in a smaller town. Actually living in a smaller town I have had trainers come up to me and mention things in a big chain gym, which I appreciated.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

those gym fail videos almost EVERYONE watches don't make themselves you know.

Granted I wouldn't do it- but I'm not going to sit here and side eye someone else for it.

I don't watch them so I don't know. *shrug*
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

Granted I wouldn't do it- but I'm not going to sit here and side eye someone else for it.

Here you go: now you can laugh like the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKZlUfuwgZo
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of helping my brother start his very first weigh-lifting plan. I'm a beginner myself when it comes to lifting weights, and we watch youtube videos and try to correct form between the two of us (with very basic, low weight exercises...gotta start somewhere).

We use the gym in our apartment complex, and if someone who looked liked he knew what he was doing came up to us and gave us a couple pointers, I wouldn't mind at all. It all depends on the tone and intent. No one wants to feel like an idiot, inside the gym or out. No one likes to be mocked. But I always appreciate a helping hand and well-meaning advice!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

That's pretty messed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKZlUfuwgZo

I'm good. Not my cup of tea to watch people hurt themselves. But do you if it makes you happy. *shrug*
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've only said something unsolicited twice. Both times, the person in question was in imminent danger of serious injury. Like the one young woman (girl?) that was squatting in the power cage. She backed up to the bar, got on her tiptoes - because the bar was too high - did squats, then couldn't get the bar back on the hooks, because they were too high and she was facing the wrong way. As soon as she started looking like she couldn't hold the weight any longer, I helped her out and suggested she lower the hooks and unrack facing in. The other time, it was a regular who I had exchanged hellos with a number of times. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I asked him if he meant to do what he did. He didn't, so I offered a tip.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a licensed trainer and carry your own insurance plan you shouldn't say anything to anyone in a gym or anywhere for that matter in terms of how they're performing an exercise. All you need is for someone to hurt their neck or back on the squat rack, they turn around and blame you for the injury, they sue you for everything you got. End-o-story. Even if you're a certified trainer, if the person isn't your client... just look the other way!

Not so much in terms of a law suit but if the person isn't your client you're not getting paid. Aside from genuine human concern no one is in this business to give away free advice.... once you begin that, everyone starts asking you for free advice lol!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Not so much in terms of a law suit but if the person isn't your client you're not getting paid. Aside from genuine human concern no one is in this business to give away free advice.... once you begin that, everyone starts asking you for free advice lol!

fair enough
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I tell people all the Time "Head up, Head up" Those are the only words or advice I give to strangers but its in their best interest.. Bad form starts where your looking especially on squats, deadlifts and pull ups. Head UP its the coach in me..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The issue I had was that I signed up at a gym. I got a two year membership because it was less expensive. Then I decided to start free weights. Then I couldn't get any personal training to get help on form. I wanted to pay for it. But, they would not do any short 3 session packages for me to try it out and see how much help I needed. I only wanted form help. But, all they would do is 1 year of personal training or nothing. Of course they did the car salesman approach of saying I could sign up for 6 months on this day only as a special offer. I didn't have an extra thousands of dollars. And I didn't want someone standing with me through every workout. I just wanted help with form. Go lift. And get personal training as needed. So, I stuck out the two years at the gym. I went to a physiotherapist, and she wanted to prescribe a different workout. Then I switched to a less expensive gym, with more knowledgeable staff (the staff at the other gym didn't even know what a squat rack is), and I could sign up for whatever amount of personal training I wanted. But, the personal trainer wouldn't work on deadlift form or squat form with me. I had been lifting weights for two years. But, her opinion was that I was too small to be able to lift heavy. She said one shoulder was higher than the other. So, she had me doing ridiculous high reps with low weights, isolation moves, on one arm, with no rests, until my arm was stuck stiff and I couldn't move it (it flared up my nerve condition). Very weird personal training experiences. Difficult to find people that would just help with squats and deadlifts. And definitely encountered preconceived notions about me because of my size. So, I have moved on since then. I learned some things along the way. Even from the strange personal training. I took the good, and left the rest. I have weights at home now. And a fitness room at our apartment. Someone broke the weights. But, my husband is going to fix it.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I watched the first minute or two. Obviously some of those were recorded by the person in the video or they knew they were being recorded by a friend. Others are obviously recorded by some lowlife d-bag without the subjects knowledge and then shared for the world to see. That is a scummy thing to do and so is approving of it and spreading it around even more. If I caught someone doing that they'd find out in short order what I thought of it and they'd be walking funny where I'd shove their cell phone. :wink:
  • pennyholmes1990
    pennyholmes1990 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it is dangerous I might say something. I would feel terrible if someone did something and got seriously injured and I had the chance to correct it before they did. Also, what I mean by dangerous: Injury could result in death or harm of other people around them.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The issue I had was that I signed up at a gym. I got a two year membership because it was less expensive. Then I decided to start free weights. Then I couldn't get any personal training to get help on form. I wanted to pay for it. But, they would not do any short 3 session packages for me to try it out and see how much help I needed. I only wanted form help. But, all they would do is 1 year of personal training or nothing. Of course they did the car salesman approach of saying I could sign up for 6 months on this day only as a special offer. I didn't have an extra thousands of dollars. And I didn't want someone standing with me through every workout. I just wanted help with form. Go lift. And get personal training as needed. So, I stuck out the two years at the gym. I went to a physiotherapist, and she wanted to prescribe a different workout. Then I switched to a less expensive gym, with more knowledgeable staff (the staff at the other gym didn't even know what a squat rack is), and I could sign up for whatever amount of personal training I wanted. But, the personal trainer wouldn't work on deadlift form or squat form with me. I had been lifting weights for two years. But, her opinion was that I was too small to be able to lift heavy. She said one shoulder was higher than the other. So, she had me doing ridiculous high reps with low weights on one arm, with no rests, until my arm was stuck stiff and I couldn't move it. Very weird personal training experiences. Difficult to find people that would just help with squats and deadlifts. And definitely encountered preconceived notions about me because of my size. So, I have moved on since then. I learned some things along the way.

That all sucks. PT's can be a real gamble both with money and possibly injury. I'm working with a 2nd PT right now and I really like him, I purchased a groupon and it expires tomorrow during my last session so I'm interested to see how much it costs. I'm sure it's much too expensive for my budget, but I want to know anyway, lol.

I'm going to probably join the Y b/c they have freeweight sections and my friend has a good PT there. That way I can learn form and then go on by myself.

To get back on task: I would probably keep my mouth shut b/c I'm not confident enough in my kettlebell swings to offer advice. Now in pole or aerial it's a small group and we all know each other b/c we've been working together for a while if someone asks for advice and I feel comfortable enough in my skill set then yes, I will explain or show, if not, I direct them to the teacher.

But for the most part, my mouth stays shut and I also don't generally notice other people in the gym b/c I'm too focused on what I'm doing to focus on other people. So much thought goes into moves that you really have to be focused, are my legs positioned correctly? have I made sure my shoulders are down and out of my ears? are my hands far enough apart? am I engaging the right muscle for this move? All of that takes concentration.