Are bananas that bad?

Options

Replies

• ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-3 bananas a day. I really have no reason to fear sugar, naturally occurring or otherwise. I need my post workout banana!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good!
    I can't eat them though before they get brown spots. Seems to be a mild food allergy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    Good source of potassium, and they're filling! I usually eat one a day, been losing a lb per week at least. I believe most if not all natural foods are healthy, within calorie limits of course.

ETA: I do avoid eating those evil spotted ones. I throw those in the freezer for later use in banana bread!!

Really? Do they freeze well? Do you just throw them in there whole or do you peel them first?

I do this when I freeze bananas:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-freeze-bananas/

Thanks! That saved me time writing out my freezing steps. I simplify it a bit - I don't use parchment paper or plastic wrap, and I cut them into bigger chunks. I put them in ziplock bags after they are frozen.

They can't be frozen indefinitely - they will start to brown after a few months.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bananas are AMAZING!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't bad.

Unless they're a week old. Then they're horrible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The potassium in them is amazing for your muscles.

I rarely eat them because they don't fill me up for the calories though, sadly (and I'd rather eat something else anyway).
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I chuck over-ripe bananas in the freezer whole. Never had an issue!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What sugars are not naturally occuring that are part of your diet? Yeah, there is sugar in bannana's. There is sugar in all carbohydrates. Thats fine. Have a bananna.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

My other half and his friends have said that it's bad for me, because it has a lot of sugar. I keep stressing that they are naturally occurring sugars and I have it for recovery and energy.

That's just bananas.

Eat bananas if they fit into your goals for the day. They're not evil. Sugar is not evil.

Next time they say those things to you, take a huge bite of banana and ask them, "So what's your point?" It would help if you spew a banana giblet or two onto their face when you ask them that.

I guarantee they will leave you alone after that. :lol:
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do they say that as they drink a nice can of diet soda? Seriously.... I eat Bananas every single day. They are so healthy for you and the pottassium is awesome. Eat away...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every day, it's my favorite fruit. I don't see the problem with them, I've managed to drop 80 lbs while still eating them. ;)
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas all the time but in love with the parchment paper idea. The riper the banana the more nutrients and more sugars. Also, focusing on hitting your macros based on your goals, there is nothing wrong. You decide as to how much sugar and what type of sugar, either from whole foods or added sugars. I choose whole foods from fruits and vegetables. I eat green smoothies all the time and I am amazed by all the nutrients I get as oppose to just eating a salad. If it fits your macros, then go for the bananas...
  • Twicethewomanyouare
    Options
    Don't listen to your hubby and their friends...UNLESS they are all nutritionists. I just got pulled from 'nanas and tomatoes, and avocados, and a whole lot more... because, my potassium was dangerously (like LETHALLY) high. I'm diabetic, and this is all related to that. I do so miss these foods, but first, I have to make sure my heart is out of danger. So if you are in generally good health, PLEASE, have a 'nana for me ;-)
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Always remember to eat LESS than 400 at once though, guys:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/12/how-many-bananas-would-you-have-to-eat-to-kill-you-5388867/

That catches a lot of people out.

*whew*

I was on 399. Was about to eat number 400 - thank goodness you posted this!

I owe you my life, sir. :wink:

Here to help, ma'am.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Once they start getting mushy, I peel and freeze. Awesome straight up or mixed into a shake.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    bananas give me awful heartburn...absolutely get rid of the evil things. lol.