Are bananas that bad?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Whether they are good or bad is relative to your diet as a whole...they are one of the most sugar rich and hi GI fruits out there....but you have to look at that in the context of your diet as a whole...are you grossly over consuming sugar in general? Do you have blood sugar issues or insulin resistance that would warrant approaching your choices of fruit more carefully?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every morning after I run. I find them very filling and love the things.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Bananas aren't bad.

Unless they're a week old. Then they're horrible.

They're also pretty bad if they're not ripe yet.

The main problem with bananas is that they have such a small window of perfection between "this banana is green and hard," and "this banana is spotted and smooshy."

The only stage of banana I actually like is when it's still a little green and hard. Any riper and the smell/taste nearly makes me sick.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Bananas aren't bad.

The main problem with bananas is that they have such a small window of perfection between "this banana is green and hard," and "this banana is spotted and smooshy."

The only stage of banana I actually like is when it's still a little green and hard. Any riper and the smell/taste nearly makes me sick.

To me, the banana has absolutely no flavor at that point.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Whether they are good or bad is relative to your diet as a whole...they are one of the most sugar rich and hi GI fruits out there....but you have to look at that in the context of your diet as a whole...are you grossly over consuming sugar in general? Do you have blood sugar issues or insulin resistance that would warrant approaching your choices of fruit more carefully?

I usually have low blood sugar levels, but I do try to keep it as low as I can. If I want to consume something sweet, I would go for a piece of fruit, rather than a chocolate bar - and that is not easy for me lol
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas in a high speed blender are the best thing ever. I like it BETTER THAN ICE CREAM.
  • zoecroker2016
    zoecroker2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like unripe bananas .
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't bad.

Right there with you. Still a touch of green, still firm, but no longer starchy. That, to my taste buds, is the sweetest stage.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bananas are amazing. Eat them. Count the calories.

Edit: But throw them away once they get spots on them because then they're gross and evil.

Oh come on people!! This is why I go through huffs of not buying bananas (I work in a kitchen ). They come half way across the world, wrapped in bubble wrap, taken so much time and effort to grow and harvest for people to turn their nose up and bin a banana with a tiny brown patch. That's the sweet bit.

Anyway I watched a programme the other day that apparently bananas have anti viral properties. So, not off my list even though when I was pregnant got told to stay away from fruit's because of the high sugar. I thought they can't be that bad in moderation and they keep me full.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do they say that as they drink a nice can of diet soda? Seriously.... I eat Bananas every single day. They are so healthy for you and the pottassium is awesome. Eat away...

There's nothing wrong with diet soda, either.....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't bad.

To me, the banana has absolutely no flavor at that point.

Under-ripe bananas always leave a weird coating in my mouth. No idea what that is, but it doesn't happen when they're left to ripen properly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, the perfect banana is yellow with a slight tinge of green, no brown spots. However, i store mine in my veggie crisper now and the skin goes a yucky brown colour, but the inside stays the same as when i bought them. I usually eat them within 4-5 days, obviously they wont stay fresh inside if they're left too long.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    YES
    6v5eqtcvdlen.jpg

NO
    r4z2iqkmww42.jpg

Definitely NO
    it5au4nzdrqi.jpg

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Only if you had a medical issue. Bananas aren't bad. And they are carbs and fiber that feed good bacteria in your gut as well. I just found that out because I am in a study about the gut microbiome. I was low in a specific bacteria that reduces inflammation (I do have an inflammatory disorder). One of the things they suggested I try eating is bananas because it has the carbs that feed that bacteria. Also fried bananas with cinnamon is a yummy dessert (easy to make too).
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    You can make great, super-healthy "ice cream" by pureeing a sliced, frozen banana with some (unsweetened) cocoa powder, maybe some cinnamon, and just enough plant milk (I use Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk). You can even throw in a little frozen mango, too. It comes out like soft serve ice cream, and it's loaded with potassium and all kinds of good things. Banana is great for you, and so is the unsweetened cocoa powder.

I had been wanting to try this for ages, so i finally did it and my ninja blew up half way through mixing :sad: But yes, it was delicious!!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    YES
    6v5eqtcvdlen.jpg

NO
    r4z2iqkmww42.jpg

Definitely NO
    it5au4nzdrqi.jpg

Definitely YES (great as salad)
    banana-flower-isolated.jpg
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    YES
    6v5eqtcvdlen.jpg

NO
    r4z2iqkmww42.jpg

Definitely NO
    it5au4nzdrqi.jpg

Heh, and as usual I am the odd one out, as I would switch the 'no' and the 'yes' here.

Still agree with the 'definitely no', though. Those are for banana pancakes.
  • Maymaybuckets
    Maymaybuckets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carbs = sugar
    I don't know why but I hear that bananas are bad a lot too. Usually from people that don't drink water (soda only) and eat takeout 4-5 times a week. I eat 2 per day usually. Eat up man, bananas in smoothies are the bomb.