October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    First of all, your weight loss has been impressive!! Congratulations!! I know it was hard work, and you should be very proud of yourself!! :) I had 40 lbs to lose and have been maintaining since about March of this year. I eat healthy for the most part, but when I go on vacations or if there are special occasions, I'll splurge, and I know I can get back to my maintenance weight fairly easily. I do not typically eat back all my calories from exercise. I often eat some back, but not all. However, I weigh a lot less, I'm a female, and I've over 29 again and again, so I don't burn that many calories to begin with and I can't eat that many calories. Except on Long Run Days. I love Long Run Days...I get to eat!! :smiley:

What you can do is just try eating more if you aren't looking to lose weight as fast or if you are looking to maintain. If you find the scale going up, adjust your net accordingly. However, I would be careful about eating back all calories burned. It looks like your Garmin is probably over estimating.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314404-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-per-mile/

The formula for calories burned from running is:
    .75 * your weight * miles ran = x

The formula for net calories burned from running (this takes out calories from your basal metabolic rate) is:
    .63 * your weight * miles ran = x

If you do the calculation for your weight and the distance you ran and compare it with what your Garmin said, you'll see your Garmin is high. My Garmin fluctuates from being over to under.

Thank you!!! :)

Following what you suggested, I will probably start by bumping the 1850 up to 2300 (the 1850 was an approx 500 calorie deficit) and then on long run days add in a couple hundred calories - so daily between 2300 to 2500 calories and monitor my weight to see how we do from there... I have already started adding back in more carbs - whole wheat variety - to help feed my running...

@mmteixeira - If you were losing about a pound a week on 1850 calories, bumping it up to 2300 to attempt maintenance is a good start.

The thing to realize is, once you're trying to maintain you can't trust any of the calorie calculations. They're all averages at best, and if you don't land gosh darn close to the average they're based on, they're wrong for you. So you start with the calculator, and watch the scale. If the weight trends up, you adjust your calories down. If the weight trends down, you adjust your calories up. And there is no "final answer" of the calories you need to eat to maintain. It's like trying to hold a boat in a stead position in the middle of a lake with shifting winds and currents; you will need to make adjustments.

But it can be done. I've made my weight trend sideways for most of 5 years now. My most recent adjustment was knocking my calories from 3000 (marathon taper level) down to 2700 for No Running in a flat out guess of that was how much I could cut and still comply on the first pass. And I got more strict with myself about compliance. Turns out, a week and a half later, I'm slowly taking off the 2 to 5 pounds I put on under stress the last couple of months. Maintenance, even with no running, is probably closer to 2800 or 2900 for me.

And as for adding back exercise calories - I ignore computed exercise calories and kind of go by feel on adding back for running. Part of what I burn running is built into my base calories, and I add back 100 calories for every 5 miles I run. I might add another 100 on speed work days or for a short race. Since I also have a discipline of taking a gel every 5 miles on a long run, this essentially lets me have in-run fueling and eat a normal amount of real food on long run days. If the weight goes down, I adjust the base calories up because there's no way I'm eating 1000 calories more on a long run day than on a rest day.

Oh, and I don't bother tracking at all on marathon race day. I give myself a free pass, for one day only, for a marathon. For a half, I might give myself an extra 200 or 300 calories; but there's a huge difference between a half and a full marathon.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 Now that qualifies as a place for Serious Hill repeats. Beautiful scenery.
    You are waiting for the leaves to change, most of ours are already on the ground so its starting to get that Dull Brown Color to the hills around town.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    One of my goals for the next year is:

- change nutrition profile - daily eating habits I used to lose 135lbs can no longer be used when running 20+ miles a week - need to change daily nutrition profile to support new amount of exercise

I started in June 2015 at 315 lbs, and for the last 15 months I have changed my diet to a clean eating diet (80% or so) eating around 1850 calories per day and I have lost 135 lbs - down to 180 lbs. I have been working with a Hal Higdon 10K training plan and I am now up to running 15-20 miles a week. I'm guessing my caloric intake needs to increase...

Many online calculators seem to indicate at my age and weight, I should be eating between 2300 base calories per day and then modify base don the run length for that day. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 which estimated I burned 1100 calories during last night's 7 mile run. That means I would want to eat 2300 + 1100 which seems like alot. I've always been nervous about eating back all the calories I burned because I don't trust those numbers to be accurate off a wrist base HR monitor.

Do these numbers seem reasonable or do they seem a bit high? I'm guessing I need to increase - just not sure how much...

@mmteixeira

When I started running, I'd already lost 18 kg counting calories with MFP, and walking more and more. After I started running, I continued to count calories, and went on to lose another 20 kg, eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories.

Since I reached my goal weight in April 2016, I've maintained my goal weight by logging accurately and eating back 100% of my Fitbit Charge HR exercise calories earned.

But I agree with what @MobyCarp said about exercise calorie estimates fluctutating.

I let the tracker calorie estimate be my guide. Some days I'd be a little bit over, and some days I'd be a little bit under, and I think this balanced out the fitness tracker estimates being out sometimes.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    Even though I didn't make my goal in September I am in for 120 again this month.

@jodilynnsanders5104 - Beautiful view but I can't believe you run this stairs! Wow!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    FIRST TO RUN IN OCTOBER! :smiley:;)

1 October – 10.6 km including parkrun

Goal: 100 miles (160 km)
    Total: 10.6 km

Events:
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km or HM
  • shanaber
    Options
    So I heard on the news tonight that they have issued an actual earthquake warning for the next 7 days in Southern California for a possible quake over 7.0. I have to say this has me pretty freaked out, what if I am out running and it hits...is that better or worse than being at home. Should I consider not going on a long run? I hope I am going to be able to sleep - I do have a long run planned for tomorrow morning! :fearful:
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 My brother used to live in Stoney Creek, but now lives in Kitchener. The last time I visited him, we stayed in Hamilton. My husband and I loved it there. :smile:

You'll have to look me up if you are back in Hamilton at some point:-)
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    jodilynnsanders5104 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @mmteixeira you raise good questions!

I'm a newer runner so I'm not sure what my calorie intake should be, as I am also trying to lose weight (down 10 lbs since starting to run 2 months ago). I'm a 47 year old female. My calorie deficit plan for weight loss has me at 1200 calories per day. My exercise calories obviously vary, between 500 and 1200 extra in a day, and I try to eat most of those back because my 1200 base is already at a deficit.

@quizzicalgrrl I just started running the beginning of August, although I was a fairly regular walker and referee ice hockey so I had some base. My goal was simply to run 30 minutes without stopping. I started with a walk 2 minutes/run 1 minute program, for 30 minutes a few times a week. Those 60 seconds of running couldn't end fast enough! I figured I wouldn't make my goal. Kept going, then increased the intervals to 1 min walk, 1 min run. I reached my 30 min straight goal mid August and since then have hit two more goals. I went from thinking that 30 minutes running would kill me, to last Saturday running a 10k race without stopping. I am now training for my first HM in November. Here's what I learned about myself and running as a very new runner...

A. My biggest struggle was my mental thoughts. I mentally hated the running segments and wanted to stop and walk way before my body really needed to.
    B. Making a running goal (like hitting my first 30 min nonstop running), boosted my confidence and made me think I could conquer anything.
    C. The running community is very supportive. I didn't start increasing my mileage until I joined a running group at my local running store. Running with a community made it easier to ignore my negative self talk and keep going.
    D. This online community of strangers is motivating. Seeing people from all walks of life, all body shapes and all running abilities is inspiring.
    E. Podcasts are my new best friend. As is choosing music that matches the BPM I'm trying to run that day.
    F. Running is more varied than I thought. I initially just ran, but now know I was running everything too fast, making it difficult to increase my mileage. I now mix in long (slow!), recovery, hill, tempo, interval, progression and fartlek runs, and was surprised at how quickly I saw improvements in my endurance.
    G. Running is addictive. Whouda thunk? ;-)
    H. I ALWAYS feel better after a run, even if I was miserable while I was running.
    I. I never knew my body could sweat to this extent. Bananas, sports drinks and protein shakes have become my new best friends.
    J. I love bling from races. Guess I'm still just a kid at heart.

By the way, finally updated my ticker for October...

exercise.png

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 80 miles this month, a goal I've failed to hit twice before. Starting on a rest day but with a HM tomorrow that's more than acceptable :)

As always, thanks to @Stoshew71 for keeping this awesome thread going.

@shanaber That sounds scary, no idea what to suggest. Stay safe.

• jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Joining with a goal of 90 miles

exercise.png
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    jringer1 wrote: »
    Joining with a goal of 95 miles

exercise.png

• emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    October 1: 7.15 miles.

October goal: 75 miles.
    Planning 4 miles tomorrow.
  • quizzicalgrrl
    quizzicalgrrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @jodilynnsanders5104 thank you for mentioning me. How did you time the walk run segments? I'm excited and sacred to try to be a runner!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October 1: 1.75 miles

Total: 1.75/50 miles

I've been at 1.75 miles per day for about 3 weeks now with only two days off in there. I run/walk with my dogs in the morning. Our total distance is 3.5 miles and we run for half of it right now. I think in another week or so I am probably going to kick that up to two miles of running. The plan is to build up slowly to running 5K per day which I'd like to be doing by my birthday in December, if possible.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    October 1st, 10AM, and we're already at page 3 for posts. Awesome.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 5.77 miles

Good start to October. It was a lovely morning at the lake, with some fall colors starting to come out. I finally felt pain/soreness-free in my hip starting yesterday, so I think taking my 3 rest days was the right decision. Today was my last long run before next week's HM. It wasn't terribly long and the pace was slow as my running buddy is also suffering from some soreness and trying not to aggravate it before our half. I felt really good and am now more optimistic about going into this race feeling refreshed and ready.

Upcoming races:
    9/18 CNY Bread Run Half, Fabius, NY (test run, long run with bling, not racing) 2:45:20
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY (official first half marathon)
    11/13 Burn Run 5k or 10k, E. Syracuse NY (considering- not signed up yet)
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA (signed up!)
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY
    1/22 Chilly Chili 5k, Cazenovia NY
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quizzicalgrrl - you might check out one of the couch 2 5k (C25K) apps for your phone. The actual C25K app is free (not sure about the others) and it goes week by week and tells you when to run/walk. Lots of people here started with it.
  • halfrunnerJ
    halfrunnerJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal is 80 miles for October.

Got off to a great start this morning with 7.6 miles and our first cool fall weekend of the year.