Proper attire at the gym

Options

Replies

• LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I laugh hysterically when I see girls in a full set of makeup at the gym! LOL
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    my gym has a dress code of no jeans when working out, and obviously shoes. I don't usually judge what people are wearing at the gym the only thing I cannot stand is peoples foot attire. wear sneakers. Your toms shoes are not good support for running, or your slip on vans. I have seen someone in dress/smart shoes (granted this could be an afterwork gym session forgot sneakers kind of thing) but overall where some kind of support shoes.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options

People always say things that indicate that they believe my skinny friend brings me and that I must be "new to the gym scene". Which is really unfair. I may have more fat than my skinny friends, but I have a higher vO2 max, a lower reding heart rate, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and a much higher lean body mass.

That's sooo awesome!( The accomplishments you have made I mean) I think people always assume that too when I go to the gym with friends who are skinnier, but I can keep up with them and even go for longer at times, Its nice to know that I am not the only one who has thought this before
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out in a tube top, a tutu, and steel-toed boots. What can I say, it's about comfort
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    personally, i could care less what anyone wears in the gym, but if you girls wear something tight, don't get all up in a tizzy if you catch the fellas peaking. I know if I catch someone looking at me, it does nothing but fuel my workout. I also generally put on my headphones and keep my head down the entire time too. I dont go to socialize or oogle the ladies.

Also, little toned, tan gym rats are a dime a dozen in gyms, I find a bigger girl confident to wear what she wants much more attractive.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You know this was taken totally out of content by the 1st angry girl comment. Y. I you want to hate who cares cause I meant it in good faith.

I suppose I was the "1st angry girl comment. I was not angry, just stating point that I see on the boards A LOT and know from my family that people are afraid to go to the gym in fear of being criticized. You may have meant it in good faith, but for the people with that fear it may not come across that way.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.
    This. I don't really care what other people wear just as long as they don't bother my workout.

And I don't get the chicks that wear extremely tight clothing (on purpose) to the point where you can see a camel toe from the other side of the room and get mad when men gawk at them. Really? You didn't dress like that to be gawked at, well damn....
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone trying to run on the treadmill in flip flops. At that point I actually told someone on the gym staff as I was afraid she would hurt herself and that would be a liability to the gym.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And I don't get the chicks that wear extremely tight clothing (on purpose) to the point where you can see a camel toe from the other side of the room and get mad when men gawk at them. Really? You didn't dress like that to be gawked at, well damn....

I have NO problem when this happens. If they dressed like that, they want the men to look, whether they will admit it or not. And I will happily oblige them.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Flip flops at the gym are the only thing that freak me out. I was on the mats stretching and I watched some guy walk in a get on the stair stepper in them. I have a gym in my apartment complex and there is never anyone there monitoring, so there wasn't much I could do besides hope his little toes didn't get caught in the equipment! :noway:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have rules about what you can workout in. Jeans are a definite no-no, as are sandals. Some gyms will kick you off the weight floor/machines if you aren't dressed appropriately. The university gym in my old town would not allow girls to wear tank tops because it was "distracting".

My feminist side was pissed off by that initially but I realized that it would probably be a bad idea to have a bunch of horny college boys dropping weights on their feet because some girl was running on the treadmill in a spaghetti strap top. lol :bigsmile:
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is comments like this that prevent heavier people from wanting to go to the gym. Go and do your workout and don't worry about what other people are wearing.

Dang right!!!! If you are going to be judgemental about people keep it in your mind! I think people need to use their nice words and not put others down!!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You know this was taken totally out of content by the 1st angry girl comment. You all don't know my workout routines and think I just go to the gym to "judge" through my whole workout. Seriously all of you all who have posted the comments on towards me on mind my own business seriously think I just stand and point. Whatever. My point on the heavy girl which I can totally talk about because I AM A HEAVY GIRL MYSELF was just how could she feel comfortable. Yall don't know if she even worked out which btw she did not! And as for the older lady what if she would of fallen there was no one around except for me. I kept looking over to see if she was ok. I you want to hate who cares cause I meant it in good faith.

Few people personally attacked you or yourself as a whole. It was just the idea that they disagreed with. By remarking about their disapproval, they voiced through their own concerns and insecurities that they seek help/motivation about. With any online topic, you will get both positive and negative feedback. No need to take personal offence.

I agree here. And no matter the OPs reason or defense, the first thing I personally felt when I read it was that I am glad I canceled my gym membership and now work out at home. I am sure not the OPs intent, but certainly a reaction you should have seen coming. I am sorry you meant for it to be a fun comment, but discussing what people are wearing (no matter small or big) can be interpreted by some as being judgmental. And those that feel that way should be afforded the similar opportunity to provide you with feedback even if it’s not what you were looking for.
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I completely agree
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Thank you Thank you Thank you! agreed

they are making a step forward by going to the gym.
    I belong to a gym and I am so happy to see people of all shapes and sizes coming into the gym and working out.
    Who cares what they wear. If the staff at the gym don't have a problem, then why should I. It doesn't distract my workout. I have my headphones on and I go. If anything these people should be applauded for overcoming a fear they have.

Also, the gym towel thing, I don't bring one with me, however, I spray and wipe down every machine I use, and honestly I sweat when I workout. If people are grossed out by my sweat, too bad. that's kind of what happens when people work out.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    WOW really people? You are offended by that comment? Everyone is a people watcher. If you say you are not and that you are oblivious to those around you I will say your lying. Yes maybe it could have been worded different but in no way was this topic started in anyway to rip on someone. It was the OP's observations. I see some people in their jorts and flip flops working out at the gym. It amazes me they wear them out of the house much less to the gym but the main thing is that your body is covered and nothing is hanging out and you are not putting yourself or anyone else in danger. It is a distraction no matter what the person's size to look over and see someones butt crack.

FYI people judge you the minute you step out of the house, that is why you put on clothes that match and maybe put on make up. The world is not a judgment free zone and that includes the gym. Tell me you never looked at peopleofwalmart.com once and chuckled. You never flipped through a magazine and said ewww what where they thinking? Right there you are judging others.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

I have NO problem when this happens. If they dressed like that, they want the men to look, whether they will admit it or not. And I will happily oblige them.

I wear yoga pants, by their nature they are skin tight, but also the only thing that I can move in that is comfy. What is the issue with tight? They are my size, they cover, they reduce my sweat, and I can do a full squat in them.
    I don't dress that way to get looked at, I don't get mad when people look either. I am there to workout and get home in time to make dinner for my family.

I really think that people who workout in jeans just forgot their workout bag at home, and good for them for still going and not skipping just because they forgot!

What is the big deal?
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone was necessarily saying that they don't judge others. No one is perfect and yes we all have our flaws.

I agree and I will admit that I do look at others and question why when looking at certain things.

However, my perception was that most of the comments back were just saying that if you do judge or look at others, keep it to yourself. How is one to know if someone else if comfortable or uncomfortable.

There were times where I was wearing gym clothes too big because I didn't have it in my budget to buy new workout clothes - so if people wanted to judge me, go ahead. I dont need to impress anyone with what I wear. I go to a gym to work out - be active. That's what most people do.
  • cakeluva
    Options
    Amen to that!! At least they are there and making the effort to get fit - cheer them on and dont be so judgemental!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I laugh hysterically when I see girls in a full set of makeup at the gym! LOL

OUCH!!
    I have gone to the gym during lunch in full make up.
    I wasn't there to look pretty.. but I have limited time and needed my burn!!!
    Yes, some women do go to pick up guys and look cute, but that doesn't mean all of us in make up are there for that.