Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    So, Jen is now Lassiela?

I need a score card. And the list of 60 sugars, please.

Did you find that on Google? We never solved the Stephen Hopkins mystery.

Space alien. <nods>
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    So, Jen is now Lassiela?

I need a score card. And the list of 60 sugars, please.

Did you find that on Google? We never solved the Stephen Hopkins mystery.

Space alien. <nods>

Space aliens should pay extra taxes on their sugar.
    62695105.jpg

To pay for the space wall that Trump's gonna build to keep em out.
    tumblr_nx2dljcD3Z1u5a7loo1_500.jpg

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    No...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, is this now a general political thread?

Funny thing with me and some others - when you propose a TAX on us, we tend to take that as a politically motivated move.

Thrilling, but (1) I didn't propose a tax (let alone on "you"); and (2) I was not objecting to the discussion of the specific tax under discussion, but Gale's effort to turn it into a broad-based partisan discussion about the actions of gov't over the past 40 years specifically.
    After you tax us

"You"? Who is "you"? Please. Please don't personalize this, or if so at least direct the comments at people proposing the tax in question.
    I tend to find it quite political when the GOVERNMENT gets involved in anything, don't you?

The government is involved already, as we have many sales taxes of various sorts. Thus, I think this topic is about the merits of a specific proposed tax within a system that does, in fact, tax specific sales of specific products (i.e., sales tax, alcohol tax, other taxes). WinoGelato's post upthread did a good job in setting out the issues under discussion.

I think we are discussing the merits of a specific policy proposal, and if it turns into a debate on gov't in general or libertarianism or whatever (or Dem vs. Republican) it's basically off-topic. I mean, if the response is to get into a debate over whether the gov't should be funding highway repair or trains or firefighting, then it's hardly really on topic in MFP, is it?

Unlike this, focusing on, say, being against "sin taxes" would be a relevant policy position that can be discussed, although then people should be lobbying to get rid of the ones we have. (Personally I think I come down in favor of the alcohol tax anyway--so, yawn, if you want to rant against "me" for wanting to talk "you" you can use that one, not like I don't pay plenty of taxes, but it's interesting given the number of people who like to go on about taxation in general that there's no effective movement against that one. I do think some discussion of this aspect of the question would be relevant.)

(For the record I'm not for junk food taxes -- I'd vote/argue against them locally, without caring much, but am fine with other places experimenting with them. I believe in local/state gov't as a forum for the experimentation with different policy positions. So while I think packerjohn is predicting inaccurately in saying these would be useful, I admit I could be wrong and some locality or state that tries them may provide evidence of this. Then we can decide if it's simply wrong to have sin taxes and ideally act consistently if we think there is.)

If you want to say "as a libertarian (or whatever) I'm against adding a junk food tax," well, duh. But that's a discussion of what the proper taxing authority should be, not a junk food tax specifically. On the other hand, pointing out (again) objections to taxes being used to encourage behavior or regressive taxation (and arguing that this is, as it pretty much is) or the like strike me as more on point. (The comment I objected to didn't really do either, it was just a off-topic slam on gov't or gov't post 1976, whatever.)
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to "tax" foods, the govt. needs to stop chemical companies from destroying our food supply and pharmaceuticals to stop using fillers that they know make people gain weight needlessly. What about all those growth hormones in plants and animals today? What about all that soy products that are manipulated by Monsanto chemical company?
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Taxes have such a bad connotation and many seem to doubt the tax money would actually go into programs fighting obesity, so let's just put a scale at the register so when you check out if you are trying to buy junk food, you have to step on the scale and your weight would be announced over the loudspeaker.

I know for me, this would be a GREAT deterrent to buying junk food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Taxes have such a bad connotation and many seem to doubt the tax money would actually go into programs fighting obesity, so let's just put a scale at the register so when you check out if you are trying to buy junk food, you have to step on the scale and your weight would be announced over the loudspeaker.

then that should be a requirement for all foods, because all calories make you fat not just "junk"...
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

then that should be a requirement for all foods, because all calories make you fat not just "junk"...

Oh man! You are right! I retract my idea! I would never be able to buy food again if my idea was put into play. I would have to hire surrogate shoppers.

How about if you buy zero calorie foods you don't have to weigh? I'm not sure how long I could live on celery and Diet Coke, but...
    Wait! Let's link the scale to MFP so that your exercise calories can cancel out what you are buying! You would have to create a deficit by exercising before you buy food. If the exercise caloric deficit doesn't balance out food purchases, you have to put back higher calorie items until you balance.

Wait! I need to figure this out so that I can become filthy rich off my idea since everyone would have to register for MFP. I need some kind of referral bonus from Reebok or whoever owns MFP now...

x hits pause button to craft evil mastermind get rich scheme x

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Or we could just skip the fat shaming and let people take responsibility for their own selves.

Indeed...
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Why not ban all happiness ?
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Taxing is a bit extreme. Self control maybe? Side note, can you imagine telling all the criminals banged out in the slammer they should just have some self control. Lolz.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    Taxing is a bit extreme. Self control maybe? Side note, can you imagine telling all the criminals banged out in the slammer they should just have some self control. Lolz.

So we're equating overeating with criminal activity now?
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »

So we're equating overeating with criminal activity now?

For my amusement, yes. Yes we are.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Or we could just skip the fat shaming and let people take responsibility for their own selves.

We could skip government funded medical care for those who willingly abuse food & drugs as well and let people take responsibility for themselves.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    no they should not tax junk food. The US govt has already overstepped its authority in so many ways. The govt is the the answer to almost nothing, its the problem for almost everything