October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 So how did the leg feel after your run?

My local pool opens tomorrow after a month closure - :D . Just in time for Adult swim club. 30 days no swimming then straight into the club. Promises to be tough for a while.

Jealous that your pool is back open. Ours is still closed and I'm forced to use the therapeutic pool at a different facility.

Waiting on PT, I'd hoped it would be like the previous pt facility, nice, large, new, with a massive pool... Does not appear to be the case. Just an office in the hospital. So so sad. I may request to the better facility just 30 minutes farther. I'm such a snob. :neutral: I wanna run on the zero g thing!

They do have free valet. So that's nice....

The leg is fine post "run". But since it was so sloppy, the overuse of spinal muscles, abs and obliques caused soreness and i had a few back spasms. So I laid around pouting quite a bit yesterday. Everything is trying to compensate. So I better rethink running or sans crutches activity.
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sending big hugs your way. Running, and all of us, will still be here when you are ready to run. Right now you need to sort your heart out before you can even think about anything else.

Spot on advice, @louubelle16. I'm sending hugs your way, @skippygirlsmom

Hugs also to @RespectTheKitty so you can get through your Monday!

@HonuNui I loved the Akamai herding video clip! That's awesome. Makes me wonder what my Pandora, with her strong herding instinct, but also strong guard dog barking instinct would do with a stray cow...

@louubelle16 I agree that a HM without a medal is crappy. And no food at all?!? That's just unacceptable.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom Sending big hugs your way. Running, and all of us, will still be here when you are ready to run. Right now you need to sort your heart out before you can even think about anything else.

Spot on advice, @louubelle16. I'm sending hugs your way, @skippygirlsmom

Hugs also to @RespectTheKitty so you can get through your Monday!

@HonuNui I loved the Akamai herding video clip! That's awesome. Makes me wonder what my Pandora, with her strong herding instinct, but also strong guard dog barking instinct would do with a stray cow...

@louubelle16 I agree that a HM without a medal is crappy. And no food at all?!? That's just unacceptable.

Thanks. I wanted to reply to a bunch of those posts but being a newbie here I was reticent. You scratched my itch. Wonderful community btw.

• FindingCynSporation
    Options
    This is my first time joining a challenge. I'm in it to run 50! How do you guys keep track/enter it in every week? I joined the group but haven't received any notifications. Such a newbie!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @FindingCynSporation - We just log our own mileage in here every day/as often as we feel like it (along with lots or random discussion posts, of course!). You're challenging yourself in here, not competing against everyone else. Though there's some friendly competition and ragging that goes on from time to time. So, set a goal, keep track, fill us in, and we'll (hopefully) be encouraging!

Today was a planned off day for me, as yesterday was long run day and Monday is typically a strength day. I like the strength workout on the day after a long run because it helps stretch everything back out (lunges! ouch!). BUT...I was feeling a little extra energetic today, so I hit up the treadmill for 1/2 mile warmup before class and 1/2 mile cooldown after.

Goal progress:
    Running: 11/100 miles
    Strength training: 1/12 sessions
    Food tracking: 2/31 days (won't count today until it's over)
    Weight loss: -0.2/10 pounds (Almost back to where I started on Saturday...)
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    @FindingCynSporation - We just log our own mileage in here every day/as often as we feel like it (along with lots or random discussion posts, of course!). You're challenging yourself in here, not competing against everyone else. Though there's some friendly competition and ragging that goes on from time to time. So, set a goal, keep track, fill us in, and we'll (hopefully) be encouraging!

Today was a planned off day for me, as yesterday was long run day and Monday is typically a strength day. I like the strength workout on the day after a long run because it helps stretch everything back out (lunges! ouch!). BUT...I was feeling a little extra energetic today, so I hit up the treadmill for 1/2 mile warmup before class and 1/2 mile cooldown after.

Goal progress:
    Running: 11/100 miles
    Strength training: 1/12 sessions
    Food tracking: 2/31 days (won't count today until it's over)
    Weight loss: -0.2/10 pounds (Almost back to where I started on Saturday...)

Thank you! Good to know it's a competition versus myself rather than all of you - that would be a little intimidating! :smiley:
  • praerichard
    praerichard Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    New to this. Will shoot for to run 35 miles in October. Walk 15 miles. Bike 30 miles.
    October 2, 2016 - Ran 7 miles
    October 3, 2016 - Walked 2 miles

• dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bit late to the party but I'm in! I'll stick with my goal from September, 175 miles and this time I've got my sights set on achieving it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Got 80/20 Running coming in the mail today. I'm thinking that I'm going to take like the first 3-4 weeks of one of the HM plans as a schedule rotation over my off season. Have to see which plan looks good and not too hard/easy
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This is my first time joining a challenge. I'm in it to run 50! How do you guys keep track/enter it in every week? I joined the group but haven't received any notifications. Such a newbie!

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but there is a star at the top right of the page (just above the list of page numbers). Click that and you will be 'following' this thread, and make it easier to come back and update. I keep a word document each month and just update that, copy and paste to this . Hope that helps..
    @goldthistime ...I always worried about what would happen if one of my chickens got loose. One day one did, and Akamai came running.....and herded her back to me. But, he is all shepherd: border collie and australian.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    1/1 20 miles - 20
    1/2 REST DAY
    1/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    1/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Hi all! Back again for this month's challenge. I stopped participating in the discussion last month because I was getting too depressed reading about everyone's running while being sidelined just waiting for the physical therapy appointment at the end of the month. Too bad for me, though - - in the end I really missed following the awesomeness that is this running group! I tried to catch up with all the missed posts, but was like 500 posts behind, so just sorta skimmed through. Even though I didn't participate in the posting much I did meet last month's goal of not being a slug - up until last week when I caught an awful cold & had the worst asthma flare up I've had in 2 years or so.

Anyway, feeling much better now. Not running for most of the month helped a lot with my knee pain & inflammation, so by the time I finally got to the the long-awaited physical therapy appointment I didn't have much pain at all, and the assessment went really well. My knee caps aren't too far off track this time around (last time they were like halfway to the side of my leg!) - - she thinks that it's possibly tight quads & over-active hamstrings vs underactive glutes that's pulling them off track & some corrective stretches & strengthening exercises will do the trick....keep your fingers crossed!

Since I don't know when I'll be cleared to start running again, my October goal is to be really good doing my PT exercises
    so that I can get back to it. And also, like last month, to not be a slug ;)

You and me both!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    Today: 2.25 miles

Total/October: 7.15 miles
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom How wonderful that your daughter was able to identify what she wants at this age and then had the ability to say it.