Macronutrient Timing

Options
I just recalculated my goal macros for my bulk from 200p, 323c, 76f to 150p, 373c, 76f because I heard that too much protein could harm my help and I seem to have a little bit more "GI activity" at 200p.

However, I usually like to consume protein with each of my (5-6) meals everyday...is it okay for me to not have protein at one of these meals and instead keep it carb heavy (like 60g) instead?

Also, is there any correlation between WHEN I have my macronutrients? Like, I am currently setting aside protein and fats for my evening snack where I have cottage cheese and almond butter...however, can I have say a peanut butter sandwich or something carb and fat heavy in the evening before bed as long as it fits within my allotted macros?

Basically, my point is...do I need to have protein at every feeding? And secondly, does macronutrient timing matter in the end for gaining muscle or just hitting cals and total macros?

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want when you want within your allotments. Timing was big for a while but has subsequently shown to have minimal effects.

To answer in short order:

Is it okay for me to not have protein at one of these meals and instead keep it carb heavy (like 60g) instead?

Yes.

Can I have say a peanut butter sandwich or something carb and fat heavy in the evening before bed as long as it fits within my allotted macros?

Yes.

Do I need to have protein at every feeding?

No. It may help with satiety but there's no magic to it as long as you're getting the required amount every day.

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Eat what you want when you want within your allotments. Timing was big for a while but has subsequently shown to have minimal effects.

To answer in short order:

Is it okay for me to not have protein at one of these meals and instead keep it carb heavy (like 60g) instead?

Yes.

Can I have say a peanut butter sandwich or something carb and fat heavy in the evening before bed as long as it fits within my allotted macros?

Yes.

Do I need to have protein at every feeding?

No. It may help with satiety but there's no magic to it as long as you're getting the required amount every day.

Thanks for your help! That certainly makes this counting a lot easier...do you know where the literature is that explains that timing isn't important? I'd just like to read it too, I think it may be an interesting read
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Timing is only important after you have hit your calorie, macronutrient and micronutrient goals; and even then, it generally more applies to those who are really lean and hoping to get that extra 1% out of things. But considering many foods take a good amount of time to digest, total consumption is way more important.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i would recommend you spread your protein intake throughout the day, rather than stuff it into a few portions.
    This provides much better muscle growth.
    Each meal have a minimum of 25-30g of protein to spark protein synthesis.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sskly48 wrote: »
    i would recommend you spread your protein intake throughout the day, rather than stuff it into a few portions.

If you are looking to maximize protein synthesis (and this is pending you already have total calories, adequate macro composition and solid micronutrients), then it's a bit more complicated than just consuming 25-30g per meal, because the source of protein would dictate the amount. Ideally, you would be looking to get 3-4g of leucine and some carbs. 25-30g of whey protein should have around 4g of leucine; beef/chicken would required 35-40g; wheat/soy proteins would require 50g.
  • dpr73
    Options

I do that already, but my protein intake is extremely high if I incorporate it into all my meals. But I need to have meals throughout the day to hit my goal

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The major health consideration for extremely high protein diets is potential renal damage ( Kidneys ). Intakes as high as 2g/kg have been clinically shown to be considered safe by the medical community. Higher intake levels are believed to be safe in healthy individuals.

You don't need to eat any specific nutrient in any particular order or time of the day. I do find it easier to hit my targets if I spread it out over all my meals, instead of restricting some meals to only specific nutrients.
  • dpr73
    Options
    So should I worry about how I partition my calories? In other words, on days when I'm very busy is it okay to get my calories in when I have time (that is, with fewer higher calorie meals rather than the several small-ish feedings I normally do)?

I ask because on days like today, I have been extremely busy and have about 1500 calories to fill to hit goal? Does splitting it up into two 750 calorie feedings this evening seem right? Or should I just scratch the day, eat what I can, and start fresh tomorrow?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    So should I worry about how I partition my calories? In other words, on days when I'm very busy is it okay to get my calories in when I have time (that is, with fewer higher calorie meals rather than the several small-ish feedings I normally do)?

I ask because on days like today, I have been extremely busy and have about 1500 calories to fill to hit goal? Does splitting it up into two 750 calorie feedings this evening seem right? Or should I just scratch the day, eat what I can, and start fresh tomorrow?

I wouldn't stress it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

This isn't actually bro science, at least, but it's not really accepted science either. The theory from a small minority of nutritional researchers, including Dr Layne Norton and his mentor, is that skeletal muscle protein synthesis only starts in adults at around 20g of protein, with 5g being leucine, and peaks at around 30g. Although they have had studies that have provided some evidence my reading of those studies is that there were two or three variables that were confounding, including carb intake, so I don't accept this as strong evidence to support their theory.

There is far more evidence indicating that timing is not important as you have a protein pool in your body that maintains the required leucine and glutamine required. Of course, if you want to time your meals and protein go right ahead, there might be a 1 or 2% advantage, but that's not really enough for anyone but the most high-level athletes to worry about in my books.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

Unfortunately, you seem to be paying too much attention to bodybuilding culture, which is rather obsessive and always looking for a few small advantages. Just be aware that a lot of those in that culture have disordered eating and you would do well to avoid getting too rigid in your eating habits -- it's not good for you.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You guys are making it so complicated lol.
    I'm speaking from my own research + applied it on my body for long term.
    Spreading protein intake throughout the day helps with muscle growth for me.
    Try it or not, it's up to you
  • psuLemon
    Options

Why are we making it complicated? Because are giving you feedback. I was merely giving more in depth information based on research I have done. Below is a good video I recently watched which is why I responded the way I did, which is a slight correction of your statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k

One of the more recent studies (meta-analysis) of protein timing.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-53
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, they're not. You are the one making it more complicated. While your advice will work, it's not necessary. Just get the right amount throughout the day - amount per serving is irrelevant.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Herschel walker is my favorite point in these types of threads. He has eaten only one meal a day his entire adult life. Seems to be working well for him. Science suggests that meal timing has a very minor influence on muscle gains.

sv5d43h057q5.jpg
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calories > Macronutrients > Timing

Hit your calories, focus on protein and don't worry about when you eat it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Herschel walker is my favorite point in these types of threads. He has eaten only one meal a day his entire adult life. Seems to be working well for him. Science suggests that meal timing has a very minor influence on muscle gains.

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

Oh sure, what would a Heisman Trophy winner possibly know about building muscle. ;)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

Oh sure, what would a Heisman Trophy winner possibly know about building muscle. ;)

He also avoids lifting weights and is a bodyweight-only guy. Clearly the man doesn't know anything.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2016
    Options

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

He also avoids lifting weights and is a bodyweight-only guy. Clearly the man doesn't know anything.

I remember he was big on that but when he was in football I'm sure he was hitting the weights a lot. Football programs have a large strength conditioning program and I don't think they would let you get away with just calisthenics.

Oh, you missed his bobsled photos lol.