Options
2»

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Herschel walker is my favorite point in these types of threads. He has eaten only one meal a day his entire adult life. Seems to be working well for him. Science suggests that meal timing has a very minor influence on muscle gains.

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

Oh sure, what would a Heisman Trophy winner possibly know about building muscle. ;)

He also avoids lifting weights and is a bodyweight-only guy. Clearly the man doesn't know anything.

I remember he was big on that but when he was in football I'm sure he was hitting the weights a lot. Football programs have a large strength conditioning program and I don't think they would let you get away with just calisthenics.

Oh, you missed his bobsled photos lol.

Looks like you would be correct on that, at least for the latter part of his pro ball career.
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/07/19/the-herschel-walker-workout/
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sskly48 wrote: »
    You guys are making it so complicated lol.
    I'm speaking from my own research + applied it on my body for long term.
    Spreading protein intake throughout the day helps with muscle growth for me.
    Try it or not, it's up to you

No, they're not. You are the one making it more complicated. While your advice will work, it's not necessary. Just get the right amount throughout the day - amount per serving is irrelevant.

Is it necessary? No, but it is optimal.
    psulemon wrote: »

Why are we making it complicated? Because are giving you feedback. I was merely giving more in depth information based on research I have done. Below is a good video I recently watched which is why I responded the way I did, which is a slight correction of your statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k

One of the more recent studies (meta-analysis) of protein timing.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-53

You're right, I am making it more complicated. I have done all the research before, I have tried eating multiple ways (1 meal per day/several meals per day), all the stuff you could possibly come up with, I have tried. I have tried intermittent fasting, low carb, carb cycling, keto, carb back loading, carb loading, the list goes on.
    I have read countless dieting articles, all the 'scientific' data that says you should do this and that.

So you falsify my personal experience by saying the amount of protein per serving is irrevelant - have you tried this sir? Have you tried actually doing this for months/years, and saw the same or negative results from eating all your protein in 1 serving?

I mean, you poke fun all you want from what I say/my experiences. The only reason why I bother responding so much is because dpr73 is new and wants to learn. I was in his situation awhile back and I had a horrible start because of the very same type of people saying this and saying that, I can understand his confusion and maybe even frustration when he sees all this stuff and doesn't know what actually works and what doesn't. I also realized many people just throw around theories without actually applying it to themselves.

So dpr73, you can spread your meals or have it all in one go.
    The difference is muscle growth is better when you feed your body around the clock, but it doesn't mean you will not have gains if you don't do this.

So you don't NEED to have protein at every serving, but it is recommended. Every meal doesn't need to be balanced either, I have some friends who prefer to save their carbs before bed (better sleep), and they still make good gains nor do the get unnecessarily fat.
    Sometimes a snack can be just peanut butter and bread, whatever you wanna do.

You just have to play around with the macros/calories to see what really is the most comfortable for you, and something you can sustain for the long term. No results will come if you only do it temporarily, it has to be for a long period of time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

No, they're not. You are the one making it more complicated. While your advice will work, it's not necessary. Just get the right amount throughout the day - amount per serving is irrelevant.

Why are we making it complicated? Because are giving you feedback. I was merely giving more in depth information based on research I have done. Below is a good video I recently watched which is why I responded the way I did, which is a slight correction of your statement.

You're right, I am making it more complicated. I have done all the research before, I have tried eating multiple ways (1 meal per day/several meals per day), all the stuff you could possibly come up with, I have tried. I have tried intermittent fasting, low carb, carb cycling, keto, carb back loading, carb loading, the list goes on.
    I have read countless dieting articles, all the 'scientific' data that says you should do this and that.

So you falsify my personal experience by saying the amount of protein per serving is irrevelant - have you tried this sir? Have you tried actually doing this for months/years, and saw the same or negative results from eating all your protein in 1 serving?

I mean, you poke fun all you want from what I say/my experiences. The only reason why I bother responding so much is because dpr73 is new and wants to learn. I was in his situation awhile back and I had a horrible start because of the very same type of people saying this and saying that, I can understand his confusion and maybe even frustration when he sees all this stuff and doesn't know what actually works and what doesn't. I also realized many people just throw around theories without actually applying it to themselves.

The difference is muscle growth is better when you feed your body around the clock, but it doesn't mean you will not have gains if you don't do this.

So you don't NEED to have protein at every serving, but it is recommended. Every meal doesn't need to be balanced either, I have some friends who prefer to save their carbs before bed (better sleep), and they still make good gains nor do the get unnecessarily fat.

You just have to play around with the macros/calories to see what really is the most comfortable for you, and something you can sustain for the long term. No results will come if you only do it temporarily, it has to be for a long period of time.

I think you are wandering into a philosophical debate which is not necessary. Nobody is making fun of you or saying you aren't doing this with good intentions and I would highly encourage you to continue to post your experiences. However, you lack the background that many of us have as well as our own experience and we are not posting studies to be mean or to ridicule but rather to educate. Many people come to this forum like you with misconceptions but we all start from a basis of ignorance and think we know far more than we really do. I invite you to consider what Lemon has said not as a slight but as an honest attempt to help you understand better what is really known.

As a side note, I have been lifting for over 30 years and I can guarantee you I've tried a lot more than you and thought I knew what I was doing but didn't. I used to have a ton of supplements in my kitchen and now I have almost nothing and still gaining muscle and strength without stressing over exact macros or timing or exact "clean" foods etc. Relax a bit and enjoy the ride because odds are you won't be in the gym in another decade anyway so why stress?
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply wheelhouse. You make some interesting assumptions about me, and I cannot reply in any way that will not offend you, so that will be it for me. I do respect your dedication to fitness and dieting.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the reply wheelhouse. You make some interesting assumptions about me, and I cannot reply in any way that will not offend you, so that will be it for me. I do respect your dedication to fitness and dieting.

You are still a very new poster here so I have made a few assumptions based on little information but I do look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future as you do seem to have a decent grounding and have done some research, and although I do disagree with your conclusions I can see how you have made a reasoned decision on your diet and fitness. I wish you continued success in your endeavours.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Herschel walker is my favorite point in these types of threads. He has eaten only one meal a day his entire adult life. Seems to be working well for him. Science suggests that meal timing has a very minor influence on muscle gains.

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

8247326.jpg?468

And then there's the World Record Deadlifting holder (according to the American Drug-Free Powerlifting Federation (ADFPF)), Dr. Nun S. Amen Ra.

He has a whole philosophy on anti-aging, wellness, and fitness based on his principles. One of them being intermittent fasting where he fasts for 23 hours a day and has a feeding window of 1 hour per day. Not only does he only eat one meal a day, but you won't believe this, he claims to eat on average only 1200 calories a day. He's a vegan too. It's absolutely unbelievable.

FYI, I think he has his 1 hour feeding window to coincide around the time of his evening workout routine which means he does believe in nutrient timing. He explains it in the interview which is pretty interesting.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

8247326.jpg?468

And then there's the World Record Deadlifting holder (according to the American Drug-Free Powerlifting Federation (ADFPF)), Dr. Nun S. Amen Ra.

He has a whole philosophy on anti-aging, wellness, and fitness based on his principles. One of them being intermittent fasting where he fasts for 23 hours a day and has a feeding window of 1 hour per day. Not only does he only eat one meal a day, but you won't believe this, he claims to eat on average only 1200 calories a day. He's a vegan too. It's absolutely unbelievable.

FYI, I think he has his 1 hour feeding window to coincide around the time of his evening workout routine which means he does believe in nutrient timing. He explains it in the interview which is pretty interesting.

Photo shows that drug tested doesn't mean drug-free, gynecomastia is obvious and 3D delts are another sign. I would be very surprised if he wasn't on something although I would also be surprised if Walker was drug-free as well.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

sv5d43h057q5.jpg

8247326.jpg?468

Photo shows that drug tested doesn't mean drug-free, gynecomastia is obvious and 3D delts are another sign. I would be very surprised if he wasn't on something although I would also be surprised if Walker was drug-free as well.

I want to believe. But yeah, can't say for sure...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

I am not sure why you are getting upset as I am not attacking you. You made a judgement about us for making things "complicated" in which I responded to you saying the science behind it is a bit more complicated than you convey. I don't know you or your experience, but that literally has no impact on this discussion; experience is anecdotal, science actually tells you how things work. So I was responded to was the information you provided, which is still complicating things because other considerations need to occur first while building muscle. Training & calories trump timing of nutrients. Total caloric composition (macronutrients) is more important. Micronutrients are more important. Supplements are less important.

So if you want to get in a discussion of semantics, and you would like to have a discussion on how to optimize and maximize every ounces of training and results, then anecdotal evidences doesn't really matter, scientific data does. I am fine with spreading meals through the day; in fact, I tend to eat 3 large meals a day as it satiates me and supports my training. But if you are going to spread protein, then you should be aware of the type of protein (as noted by my response and the supporting video) and you should be aware that you should also combine it with carbs since it will spike insulin, activate mTOR and increase protein synthesis.

Below is a picture that Eric Helms promotes.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I just recalculated my goal macros for my bulk from 200p, 323c, 76f to 150p, 373c, 76f because I heard that too much protein could harm my help and I seem to have a little bit more "GI activity" at 200p.

However, I usually like to consume protein with each of my (5-6) meals everyday...is it okay for me to not have protein at one of these meals and instead keep it carb heavy (like 60g) instead?

Also, is there any correlation between WHEN I have my macronutrients? Like, I am currently setting aside protein and fats for my evening snack where I have cottage cheese and almond butter...however, can I have say a peanut butter sandwich or something carb and fat heavy in the evening before bed as long as it fits within my allotted macros?

Basically, my point is...do I need to have protein at every feeding? And secondly, does macronutrient timing matter in the end for gaining muscle or just hitting cals and total macros?

You don't need protein every single time you eat, but you SHOULD have fast acting protein POST WORKOUT (WHEY) and I personally like the idea of having a slower acting protein (Casein) before bedtime. And just meet your daily required protein at any other time of the day. Carbs at night is fine, from what I've been reading, people used to say that carbs at night promotes fat storage but that's not really true.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Seriously....you will find 'scientific ' studies on every level. Most likeky working for/against your personal objectives.
    Timing is irrelevant. CICO is your goal. Don't make it complicated. Don't ask questions that will make you bang your head.
    Educate yourself in an environment other than one where conflicting responses are the result.