Stigma around elliptical machines

Hey guys! Just wanted to know your thoughts about ellipticals, if you've used them, weather or not you think they work etc. Before I started working out I did some reading and discovered that these machines are worthless, over estimate your calories burned, and are looked down upon at the gym (especially if you're a younger man). I've had some knee injuries in the past, torn meniscus and mcl, so even though I read all these negative things about them I decided to try it out anyway. I've lost about 14lbs in a month and a half, using the elliptical and lifting. I was wondering what your experiences were, for those who've used them, and what your thoughts are for those who don't use them, weather it be the stigma, or if you feel that they're useless. Thanks!

Replies

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! I used an elliptical for the second time (first time was years and years ago - I used it I felt that my tibialis anterior...thanks google...was going to pop through my skin) last week after developing a pain on the outside of my hip after jogging on the treadmill. About ten minutes into it my toes started going numb! Quick google search told me that I can't keep the ball & toes on the platform the whole time, so I learned to lift the front half of my foot at the top of the rotation. The elliptical machine does tell me that I burned more calories on it vs using the treadmill but I do have a faster pace on the elliptical so who's to say if it's an over estimation or not. But now that my hip is back to normal I'll be back on the treadmill but I do think I will alternate between the two...and there's always the stair machine for when I really want to get a good sweat going! But I say whatever keeps you moving is the machine for you, regardless of others' negative view on it.
  • Tkb1331
    Tkb1331 Posts: 22 Member
    Drawoc wrote: »
    I thought people liked them because they were good for your knees, I never heard anyone talk badly about them.

Yea I didn't either till I did a quick search on them
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    I personally would prefer any other form of cardio running/rowing/stair master etc because I like to be efficient and burn the max calories I can in that time, I have found I don't feel like I am getting the same intensity from the elliptical, personal preference.

If you are using the elliptical, I would recommend upping the resistance to keep things interesting.

Even though I don't like it I haven't ever judged anyone who is using it.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    The study I read showed that the treadmill burned more calories but hey burning some-and not injurying your knee-is working for you!
  • Bduv121
    Bduv121 Posts: 6 Member
    Elliptical is a great machine and easy in the knees
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Elliptical

Supports joints during cardio
    Has adjustable resistance
    Can use for steady state, HIT and endurance training

I fail to see a problem

Reason number one is exactly the reason I use them. On a treadmill (or outside) I can't go above a brisk walk due to not so great knees. On the elliptical I can increase the effort with little to no risk to my stressed joints and push my HR to improve my endurance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It's a cardio machine that allows someone to get a good cardio workout - simple as that really. I don't regard it as a poor relation - just an alternative choice. Maybe because there isn't an equivalent "real" exercise some people may frown on them? Maybe they aren't seen as "macho"? Frankly who cares! Each to their own.

I tend to mostly use bikes for indoor cardio as I'm a cyclist but rowers and elliptical machines get some use. Treadmill would be my last resort as I dislike running and running hurts my damaged knees.

They definitely aren't all created equal. That goes for movement, resistance and calorie accuracy too. I find the Cybex ARC Trainer gives very accurate estimates which isn't surprising given how they developed their calorie table. On the other hand some give fanciful estimates clearly designed to flatter the user.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    I love the elliptical!

recently injured my knee on the treadmill by trying to go too fast but never a problem on the elliptical
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Who cares..
    Right to the point. I love it. Stop caring about the opinions of others. Meaningless mental chatter.

• _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    I love the elliptical (I have RA) and owned a gym-quality precor for years.

I do HIIT on the same model at my gym and keep my arms free - I don't like the models with swinging arm things (fitbit defaults to categorizing it as running). For example, level 10, starting with a 5 minute warm up at resistance 6 @ about a speed of 180-190. At 5 minutes, I do 20 seconds at resistance 12 "sprinting" all out (230+), then drop back down to resistance 6 and 160-180 speed for 1 minute. 20 seconds/1 minute at those levels until I hit 20 minutes in total. Killer!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    As for the other people's opinions, I wouldn't worry about them. All cardio machines have a bad stigma with many of the guys that think they are bodybuilders and some of the lift heavy females. Ellipticals just happen to be the poster child. They are not making fun of the machines as much as the people that come into the gym, hop on a machine for 20 minutes on low resistance, play or talk on their phone the entire time, then leave without ever breaking a sweat. They are usually also fully decked out in Lululemon gear from head to toe with a giant water bottle like they just did something. They might even start munching on a Luna bar on the walk out! ;-)

One of my favorite machines at the gym is a Cybex Arc Trainer. I use it about every other cardio workout. Quite frankly, I started using it because all those years of sports have left my ankles, knees, hips, and back in questionable condition! I do 45 minutes at high resistance and by the end I look like I fell in the pool.

Here is my opinion on ellipticals -
    1) you have to find one that fits. These things are all over the place and some fit your stride, some don't. Some have a natural motion path, some don't. What works for me might not work for you. So, if you get on one and go for 5 minutes and it feels awkward, try a different one.
    2) They way over estimate calories. If I have no idea what my burn is I use about 1/2-2/3 of the calories it gives me. On the Cybex, I use on HRM on occasion and "calibrate" the calorie burn and adjust based on that. If it tells me 600 calories, I know to enter about 75% of that.
    3) You HAVE to up the resistance. I think this is where ellipticals get a bad rap. Most people jump on and just start going. The problem is that these machines assist your stride, so you are tricking yourself on how hard you are working out. If you are using a fitbit, it counts steps, not energy output, so low resistance on an elliptical will give you a false count on your fitbit too. I set the resistance on a variable incline program and then put it on a resistance level that I can barely keep pace when the incline gets to the steepest part. My legs are jelly after 45 minutes on it. I walk funny!
    4) Try not to hold on to fixed arm bars. I personally don't care much for the upper body part of the ellipticals, so I never use that part - if you are actually pushing and pulling with your arms, go for it. What I am talking about are the people you see that are pushing up on the side bars to assist their legs. This is a no-no. Like I said, I personally prefer to "jog" on the elliptical, so I never touch anything with my upper body. If you find one that fits your stride, you don't need to hold on for balance.
    5) Don't make the elliptical your only cardio. I think this goes for all exercises. I personally think walking/jogging/running should be your primary cardio and things like ellipticals give you a lower impact alternative to throw in.

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    If it works for you use it!! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Sure I dislike the elliptical but I dislike all cardio machines equally