Diet soda and water retention?

Options

Replies

• Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    With me it is the higher protein that stops me up. I thought artificial sweeteners...at least some of those had the opposite effect. The sugar free gummy bears being an example and I was warned when I got my sugar free hershey bars that I would get the "squirts". I was getting corked up before I started the Coke Zero. I was actually kind of hoping it would help things in that department as well as enhance my meals but only had a couple 20 ouncers over the past few days so no "data" to really share on that one yet....lol

Only the 'natural' sweeteners do like xylitol. Its more the other chemicals in the soda drinks that cause this because the same thing happens with the non diet versions as well.

About your protein causing issues do you have protein shakes cause you can add fiber to them by putting a few spoonfuls of coconut flour or just desiccated stuff or even milled flax seed / linseed in it and it will help compensate for the increase in protein. I used to add coconut flour and coffee to my vanilla or chocolate ones then heat it up for a protein latte and was sure to make you go :)
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The body naturally fluctuates several lbs a day. Diet soda is actually fairly low in sodium, so it won't be a huge contribution to water weight.

True - although it's unusual in my experience for my weight to go up consistently (unless I've been eating more carbs/sodium than usual). Will abstain for the next few days and see if it corrects itself.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Visit Web MD: Soda is linked to Osteoporosis. Studies have shown 4% lower bone density (hips) in women that consume 3 or more cola's daily.

If by "studies" you mean a single epidemiological study that showed that 60 year old women with habitually lower total calcium-to-phosphorus intake and elevated caffeine intake showed 4% decreased hip bone mineral density (BMD), then sure, I agree. Note that this study shows no difference in BMD for men, no difference in spinal BMD (only the hip BMD results were significant), and no BMD difference related to any non-cola sodas like Sprite:
    http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/22/2006/10/20/StudyColaLinkedToLowerBoneDensityInWomen
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/4/936.full

Not sure what this has to do with the OP's question, since he is a male curious about water retention.

And the limitations you've listed above should very seriously call into question any mechanistic explanation for soda being causative of BMD issues.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    The body naturally fluctuates several lbs a day. Diet soda is actually fairly low in sodium, so it won't be a huge contribution to water weight.

True - although it's unusual in my experience for my weight to go up consistently (unless I've been eating more carbs/sodium than usual). Will abstain for the next few days and see if it corrects itself.

If you enjoy it, i would just cut down a bit. I drink 40oz of diet dew a day. In the end, it's just a bit of water weight and doesn't really impact things. Weight loss is really about trends.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Visit Web MD: Soda is linked to Osteoporosis. Studies have shown 4% lower bone density (hips) in women that consume 3 or more cola's daily.

Did you actually read the article or studies?

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

Whether the apparent soda and osteoporosis link is due to effects of the soda itself or simply because soda drinkers get less of other, healthier beverages, it's clear that you need to be extra-vigilant about your bone health if you're a soda fiend.

"Soda drinkers need to pay extra attention to getting calcium from other sources," says Dawson-Hughes.

And studies...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21208477

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Why would you suddenly start drinking soda? Even diet soda is terrible for you- especially 2 liters of it! That's a lot!! The reason the sweetener doesn't have calories is because your body cannot digest it- but it still has an effect. In this case it sounds like it is causing an inflammatory reaction and resulting in water retention- have you noticed being bloated lately? Soda is bad for you, artificial sweeteners (except stevia) are terrible for you. Cut it out and just drink water! Or if you need something more interesting to drink try sparkling water, herbal tea, water with a little lemon juice squeezed in it... it's important to eat real nutritious foods and hydrate with actual water, not just hit your calorie goal.

How is it terrible for you? Got any peer reviewed science to back up that medical claim?
  • Fayecg89
    Options
    does anyone watch 'trust me I'm a doctor' they did an interesting experiment on artificial sweeteners, the 2 main kinds you find in most diet or reduced sugar products. It was on bbc 2 and if anyone uses the streaming service kodi you can get it on there. They found that around half of us have no reaction or adverse affects from consuming these sweeteners but the other half experience a very quick change in gut bacteria and had a less healthy balance of these in their guts. The conclusion was that a healthy gut bacterial balance aided digestion and helped keep your weight at a healthy level and that the changes caused from these sweeteners could have negative implications for those that are trying to lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    does anyone watch 'trust me I'm a doctor' they did an interesting experiment on artificial sweeteners, the 2 main kinds you find in most diet or reduced sugar products. It was on bbc 2 and if anyone uses the streaming service kodi you can get it on there. They found that around half of us have no reaction or adverse affects from consuming these sweeteners but the other half experience a very quick change in gut bacteria and had a less healthy balance of these in their guts. The conclusion was that a healthy gut bacterial balance aided digestion and helped keep your weight at a healthy level and that the changes caused from these sweeteners could have negative implications for those that are trying to lose weight.

Gut bacteria is modified anytime you make sweeping changes in diet. And even then, it can be good, bad or agnostic. Assuming it is always bad, isn't really a good thing.
  • Fayecg89
    edited October 2016
    Options

Gut bacteria is modified anytime you make sweeping changes in diet. And even then, it can be good, bad or agnostic. Assuming it is always bad, isn't really a good thing.

The point made by this study carried out by the doctors was that the dramatic changes to your gut bacteria caused by artificial sweeteners happen very quickly. The speed of this change to a bacterial balance that is believed to be hard to make such drastic changes to in such a short period of time was very shocking.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, i would just cut down a bit. I drink 40oz of diet dew a day. In the end, it's just a bit of water weight and doesn't really impact things. Weight loss is really about trends.

Agreed! I'm not stressed in the slightest about the weight gain - as I know it can only be water/waste. Just as a nutrition nerd I was curious whether this was a "thing".

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The point made by this study carried out by the doctors was that the dramatic changes to your gut bacteria caused by artificial sweeteners happen very quickly. The speed of this change to a bacterial balance that is believed to be hard to make such drastic changes to in such a short period of time was very shocking.

Weird since nothing in artificial sweetener would be able to do that, since its components are things you consume in thousands of times higher concentrations every single day.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You guys know how it is now. If you listen to all the stuff floating around out there now, almost EVERYTHING is bad for you or causes cancer or some other horrifying disease unless it all natural, organic, no this or that...oh..and lets not forget gluten free. I take all of it with a grain of salt and just try and use common sense.
  • Fayecg89
    Options

Weird since nothing in artificial sweetener would be able to do that, since its components are things you consume in thousands of times higher concentrations every single day.

I have no idea what makes up the sweeteners they tested, Saccharin and Aspartame were the two they looked. I recommend watching the series either in bbc iplayer or kodi, its was called 'Trust me I'm a doctor'. I found it really interesting, they looked at all sorts of things even the effectiveness of protein shakes, food or no food before exercise, main brand diet pills, all sorts really.
  • Fayecg89
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    You guys know how it is now. If you listen to all the stuff floating around out there now, almost EVERYTHING is bad for you or causes cancer or some other horrifying disease unless it all natural, organic, no this or that...oh..and lets not forget gluten free. I take all of it with a grain of salt and just try and use common sense.

This is what I like about this series as it addressed the a lot of these health myths and speculations about whats bad for you and whats not.
  • Fayecg89
    Options

I have no idea what makes up the sweeteners they tested, Saccharin and Aspartame were the two they looked. I recommend watching the series either in bbc iplayer or kodi, its was called 'Trust me I'm a doctor'. I found it really interesting, they looked at all sorts of things even the effectiveness of protein shakes, food or no food before exercise, main brand diet pills, all sorts really.

Hint: aspartame=amino acids. Amino acids are in all protein.

What a charming and delightful tone to your post
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you took it that way but I just find it weird that someone who is posting negative things about something doesn't know what they are and very surprised the program that you are citing doesn't say that either.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Whenever you introduce something new into your diet, you get dramatic changes in gut flora. Ask any GI who switched from MRE-only diet to real food suddenly. Or, anyone who started traveling abroad, and eating the local food.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Whenever you introduce something new into your diet, you get dramatic changes in gut flora. Ask any GI who switched from MRE-only diet to real food suddenly. Or, anyone who started traveling abroad, and eating the local food.

Hell, my gut didn't even like that I stopped eating at a deficit a few days ago.