October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got my final run in mid day today before Saturday's pre-marathon warmup/speed check run. Was hot and sunny, and I ran it at a reasonably comfortable pace despite the heat. Looking back at my heart rate on other runs in similar temperatures/conditions, I'm definitely much fitter than before Pittsburgh's 3:08, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to heat acclimation, or just improved fitness/lower weight. Regardless, just going to join my buddy for a 3:05 so we can race Boston 2018 together, then find a winter race to push (maybe Disney again, or A1A) for squeaking under the 3 mark.

Forecast for Sunday is about as perfect as it gets (starting at 51 degrees, finishing at 60).

10/1 - 5 miles (w. 5x800s @ 6:00 pace)
    10/2 - 8 miles (finished at MP)
    10/3 - 4 miles
    10/4 - 4 miles

Total: 21 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 119 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@cljoe7 - No problem! Lots of friends along the course (used to have an office in the Hancock) to get a few cheers/high-5s from.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @johnnylloyd0618 The half marathon went great! Except for the last 1/2 mile, I thoroughly enjoyed running every bit of that race. I finished in 1:48:21 and placed 2nd in my age group, 5th out of the females and 15th overall (out of 140 racers). It was a nice small race, which was perfect for my 1st Half. :smiley:

Here's a link to a race report (with pics) I wrote about it.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37824533/#Comment_37824533

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm having fun with my new Garmin Forerunner this week. I love the info while running and have been comparing it to what I know from my Polar HR monitor. It looks like I'll finally be back to 4 runs a week which is good for my training...........I need to run that much!

10/01 – Rest Day
    10/02 – 3.6 mile horse trail run with dog – AVG HR 143, High 159 on hills
    10/03 – Rest Day
    10/04 – 2.1 mile horse trail run with dog – testing out the new Garmin
    10/05 – 3.31 miles horse trail run with dog – looks like Garmin is about 7-8 bbm higher than my Polar

exercise.png

• mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

October Miles:
    10/1 - 13.1
    10/3 - 4.3
    10/5 - 4.6
    || TOTAL:22 ||
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I loved reading your race report, and the pictures were awesome! I really hope that someday I can do a HM.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Thank you so much @RespectTheKitty !! If you keep running, I'm sure you can. You just have to gradually build up to it. I just ran my 1st 5K back in April, and I'm totally addicted to running! If you asked me back then if I'd someday run a Half Marathon, I would have been very unsure about it. As race lengths keep getting longer, goals keep getting bigger. :smiley:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I'm debating getting the foot pod to go with my Garmin, to increase cadence accuracy and for those times I get stuck on the treadmill if there's bad weather over the winter. Anyone have any experience with it? Good? Bad? Problems? Etc? Thanks! :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in after my first post-HM run. Still felt a bit stiff in the first mile but eased up after that. Looking forward to a few more easy runs for the rest of the week as this is an actual cutback week for me, which is not something I've ever had before because I've never been consistent enough to need one until now! Definitely feeling the need for it though.

Now, off to hit the bath and read through the 8 pages of posts :dizzy:

October Running Challenge

2nd - 13.19 miles
    5th - 3.01 miles

MTD - 16.2/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OK, now I'm inspired. I'm looking at HM training programs online. I like the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan; it looks like something I could manage. My question is, is this something I want to do during the winter (mostly on the treadmill because Chicago winters suck), or wait until spring to buckle down when I can run outside more? People who have trained for HMs, what did you do? If I train during the winter, I could do a spring race, otherwise I'm looking at an early to mid summer race, which might be all kinds of hot.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    OK, now I'm inspired. I'm looking at HM training programs online. I like the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan; it looks like something I could manage. My question is, is this something I want to do during the winter (mostly on the treadmill because Chicago winters suck), or wait until spring to buckle down when I can run outside more? People who have trained for HMs, what did you do? If I train during the winter, I could do a spring race, otherwise I'm looking at an early to mid summer race, which might be all kinds of hot.

I can't really give advice here, since I did all my training in the summer heat for an end of September HM, lol, but I just wanted to say yayyyy for the race enthusiasm! I love that you just signed up for your first race and are already looking at HM's! Let me just say, they are definitely addicting, and I keep looking for more to add. Gonna need a separate income for all the registration fees, haha. Looking forward to reading about your experience with your first 5k! :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

For some reason this made me laugh......

The difference between a 5k and a HM is HUGE, but if you are mentally and physically prepared for the miles, you could do it, I think.

I prefer training in cooler months, so if you don't mind the treadmill running, or braving the cold, I'd say if you want to go for one in the spring, do it. You could even train for a spring one, and just run it easy, as a test to see how you like the distance, then look at a fall one to help keep you motivated....That's kind of how I did it. I went from not running at all last January, to having run 2 HMs by now, and I have another HM planned and am seriously considering signing up for a full next fall....

Sorry, long response. I say just go for the training plan and modify it as need be, if nothing else, the structure might help with having to run during the yucky months.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

I can't give too much advice either about training in the winter. Although I was born and raised in Milwaukee (Hi neighbor!), I wasn't a runner then, and Texas (where I live now) is more about dealing with the heat. I would say that I would rather train by running outside though. To me, running on a treadmill is more about avoiding being thrown off the machine where running outside, is about going somewhere, so it definitely has a different feel. The other thing to consider is that races are typically early morning, so you'd most likely be running between 8am to 10am. With that being said, I wouldn't think it would be too hot early morning in early summer. However, I've done 5Ks, a 10K, and a 15K this past summer in Texas and although it wasn't ideal, it wasn't horrible. I had to become a morning person this past summer to avoid running when it's super hot, and I'm not a morning person. (Thank goodness for sprinklers!!) I'm very glad fall weather is approaching so I can go back to running after work, and sleeping in. ;)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I trained for my full marathon in the winter, and I'm so glad I did. It's much easier (on the runner) to bundle up and strip off layers than to die of heat exhaustion. Personally, I love cold weather running. When it's super cold or windy, I wear a wide fleece headband, big sunglasses, and a fleece cover/sleeve over the lower half of my face and neck. I can't wait for those 20-40 degree runs. :smiley:

If you don't think you can manage to do most of your training outside in winter, though, I'd probably hold off on the race until you can do more outside running in the preceding weeks.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I forgot to log my stuff today. It was a weight training day, so I did Power Hour (that's a combo weights/cardio class). Now my everything is tired. So many lunges and chest presses and tricep dips and burpees!

Goal progress:
    Running: 11/100 miles
    Strength training: 2/12 sessions
    Food logging: 4/31 days
    Weight loss: -0.6/10 pounds (Seriously need to lay off the sunflower seeds. The salt makes me bloat up like crazy!)

A few miles behind on the running, but otherwise I'm staying on track. Should be caught back up on running miles by the end of the weekend if all goes as planned.
  • cchonka
    cchonka Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm in for 100!!!

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

The last two winters, I have made sure to run 4-5 miles several times a week (usually 3) over the winter, whether treadmill, indoor track or outside. Then, in early February, I start the Hal Higdon intermediate plan for HMs. This gets me ready for a late April HM with no problems. I live in Des Moines, FWIW, so the weather should be similar. That was after doing my first HM on a relative whim in fall 2014.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn thanks for the feedback on your recent HMs.

@juliet3455 and @Stoshew71 thanks for the links I 'll check that link out, thanks!

@RespectTheKitty good luck in your first race
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner very respectable time! Congrats!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »

The last two winters, I have made sure to run 4-5 miles several times a week (usually 3) over the winter, whether treadmill, indoor track or outside. Then, in early February, I start the Hal Higdon intermediate plan for HMs. This gets me ready for a late April HM with no problems. I live in Des Moines, FWIW, so the weather should be similar. That was after doing my first HM on a relative whim in fall 2014.

@RespectTheKitty I do pretty much what @karllundy does, though I usually tough it out with 5 runs per week because I do a long run on the weekend with my weekend crew (suffering with a group > suffering solo!). Overall, I'd say if you can run 3-6 miles 4x a week on the treadmill, you could do a HM plan in late winter and run a race in late April or May.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty We are running the same 5K on Thanksgiving! It's a great race and it always sells out. Maybe I'll see you there :)