October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Bummer about the fitbit! They are pretty awesome about replacing stuff so it never hurts to ask about replacing the whole thing. If all else failed, I'd probably just take the band off and carry the watch face in my pocket. LOL I still have a fitbit "one" from a few years ago. I have to charge it twice a week at this point and I do have my Garmin Vivoactive which I love, but I started with a fitbit and wanted to continue the data on their site. Also my fitbit registers way more steps than the Vivoactive which I like seeing. But fitbit hasn't created any new non-wrist devices and I don't want to pay for a new "one". So I just keep charging every Mon and Thurs while I sit at work, and keep wearing it, along with my Vivoactive.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Since a few have mentioned running watches here, I wonder if I can get your input: I have been thinking about the Fibit Surge, the Garmin Vivosmart HR or Garmin Forerunner 225. If I understand correctly, they are about the same price range and all have HRM and GPS which are the main thing I would like for running, I guess. Some reviews said that the Surge isn't as good for running as the Garmin ones but I am not quite sure how. But I do think a lot more of you here are using Garmin :)

@ceciliaslater is that the Surge that you have? Does it work well for you apart from the issue with the wristband?
    @7lenny7 Would you mind sharing why you want to go with the Vivosmart?

Another consideration for me is that, I might be able to get the Surge with a discount. On the other hand, the Forerunner 225 seems to have refurbished models available, so, I might be able to get it without paying full price...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40

Buying at discount is the way to go for me. Craigslist and google searches for used and refurbished models is a great option for those that don't have the financial means to pay full price and don't need the latest gadgets.

I bought my FR-220 from Randall when he upgraded for a great deal.

As far as reviews, DC Rainmaker is the authority. He has the most detailed reviews. More than you care to dream about when you want to know more about a certain piece of technology.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 ... My question would be if the Surge allows you to create programmable running workouts? The Garmin watches do, and it's wonderful for speed training. I love that I can create a training workout for my tempo runs and intervals. Essentially, you create the workout online and sync it to your watch. This allows your watch to alert you when it's time to speed up, run in recovery, cool down, etc. Also for intervals, this means the Garmin application (either on the web or your mobile device) will easily show you the data regarding how fast you were going during the interval compared to your recovery time instead of just lumping it into a mile. You can customize the intervals to the length you want, whether it's time or distance based.

I don't have the Surge and have not used it, so I'm not sure what it offers, but if price points were equal, I would go with the Garmin because these watches are really geared towards runners.

Thanks,
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I also used DC Rainmaker when searching. And for what it's worth I ordered my Vivoactive from Kohl's last Black Friday and earned $15 Kohl's cash for every $50, so the watch was full price $250 but I got $75 in Kohl's cash to buy other gifts for people. I don't think my Vivoactive has quite all the features of a Garmin that is strictly devoted to running. It's an activity tracker vs. a running watch. My Vivoactive has come down in price since they introduced the Vivoactive HR. I have a separate HR strap. I never used a fitbit with GPS or HR so I can't compare in that sense.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Check in: Sunday's run set me back 7 to 10 days. Monday morning, I couldn't even jog my hallway. I was so bummed I didn't even check in here to read.

This morning, I could jog the hallway some, but not long enough for the eggs to cook. Today the PT confirmed that what's going on is consistent with Achilles tendonitis. She gave me another stretch to do, I'll pay more attention to not pushing things (even walking) when it aches, and see how it goes.

There might not be much to report for a while. :(
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    Since a few have mentioned running watches here, I wonder if I can get your input: I have been thinking about the Fibit Surge, the Garmin Vivosmart HR or Garmin Forerunner 225. If I understand correctly, they are about the same price range and all have HRM and GPS which are the main thing I would like for running, I guess. Some reviews said that the Surge isn't as good for running as the Garmin ones but I am not quite sure how. But I do think a lot more of you here are using Garmin :)

@ceciliaslater is that the Surge that you have? Does it work well for you apart from the issue with the wristband?
    @7lenny7 Would you mind sharing why you want to go with the Vivosmart?

Another consideration for me is that, I might be able to get the Surge with a discount. On the other hand, the Forerunner 225 seems to have refurbished models available, so, I might be able to get it without paying full price...

@mom3over40,

Because of the steady stream of problems I've seen with the many Fitbit Charges I've had, I won't buy a Fitbit. The quality leaves much to be desired, at least for that particular model.

I've owned 6 or 7 Garmin products ranging from automotive GPS, handheld GPS, to running watches and all have been very well made. I currently use a Forerunner 220 as my running watch so I'm already using the Garmin Connect app. If I get a Garmin Vivosmart (probably the HR version), I can use the same app and delete my Fitbit app.

It's also waterproof to 50 meters so don't have to put it in a ziploc bag if I run in the rain, like I currently do for my Fitbit.

You mention GPS above. The Vivosmart HR does NOT have GPS, but the Vivosmart HR+ and the VivoActive HR do. I have GPS with my FR220 so the Vivosmart HR is adequate for me. I won't make a final decision until my Fitbit dies and then I'll see what the prices are at that point, but I'm 99% sure it will be a Garmin product.

• christineengel13
    christineengel13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm joining a little late for the October challenge. I'm in for 50 miles.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @mom3over40

Buying at discount is the way to go for me. Craigslist and google searches for used and refurbished models is a great option for those that don't have the financial means to pay full price and don't need the latest gadgets.

^ This

I like to say that I'm on the trailing edge of technology and therefore can find some great deals. My FR305 with HR strap was found on Craigslist for $45. It was more than adequate for me but I got tired of having to plug it into my laptop to download data. With patience I was able to eventually find a FR220 for $60 on Craigslist. I love having the bluetooth feature! Ok, so I had to settle for the pink one to get that price but I don't care about color.

If still check Craigslist from time to time looking for an FR230 or Vivosmart HR and if I find the right deal, I'll jump on it.

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @mom3over40 I bought the Fitbit One and the Fitbit Charge HR. Both lasted about 6 months before requiring warranty. Fitbit was good and sent me replacements at no charge, but they are not built to last. The second Charge HR only lasted 3 months, and it is not covered by a second replacement. Fitbit also grossly overestimates my calorie burn and distance, even though I measured out and entered an accurate stride. If your max heart rate and zones do not fit within the average, you cannot really customize it. They say you can, but you can't.

I have no idea about Garmin customer service, because I've never had to contact them. I have used a Garmin Forerunner 301 (bought in 2006), 310XT (bought in 2010) and now the 735XT. Loved them all. The previous two are still in use, and I have passed them along to relatives. I paid less than 200 for each of the first two (one from my local running store on sale, the second I got at Costco). My husband just bought the 225 on Amazon and he paid 190 for it on sale (Canadian dollars). It's got the wrist HR and GPS. I prefer having the chest strap option for my runs, but it's probably just what I'm used to . . . and I have heart issues.

Anyway, if I were to choose between Fitbit and Garmin, I would choose Garmin - no contest.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    So we had a fire drill at work. Elevators out. Walking down the stairs was not an issue. But then after the all-clear there were hundreds of people waiting to use the elevators back up. So I took the stairs. Nine flights. I figured I had the aerobic capacity for it. And while I did not get out of breath, those stairs made my legs HURT. Hmm... maybe I should hit the stairs more often? Obviously my leg muscles are not what I thought they were.

We had a fire drill today too! I take the stairs every morning and those 4 flights get my quads a'burning.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 - Yes, I have the Surge. I bought it because: 1) it has built in GPS; 2) it has a wrist-based HRM. It has served me pretty well, aside from a few issues.

1) Already mentioned the band problem
    2) It occasionally will refuse to charge. I think it's because the charging port is open on the back of my wrist and gets sweat and grime caked into it. If I wipe it out, it will usually charge fine. However, you have to be super careful to make sure the charger is fully connected and the little charging icon is on the screen. Every. Single. Time. There have been times I've plugged it in before my shower and come back to find it hasn't charged a bit. Kind of obnoxious, but not a huge problem.
    3) It does not have interval or workout features. If you want to do timed or distance intervals, you have to either use another app or just manually check the watch (I use the latter option).

Good points:
    1) It's water resistant and can be submerged, but not worn for swimming. So, no worries about wearing it in the rain or sweating all over it.
    2) The GPS is accurate.
    3) You can set time or distance alerts (I have mine set to vibrate after every mile, and it pops up the mile pace and average HR for that mile).
    4) Shows 3 data points on one screen in run mode. Always shows time and distance, and you can swipe between steps, average pace, current pace, clock time, and heart rate on the third.
    5) HR has been very accurate for me. I've worn chest straps in the past and it matches closely every time. I know others have complained about problems with HR though.

I'm really interested in the Garmin 235, though. If I decide to get a new watch, I will likely jump ship and switch to Garmin for the more advanced running features (pre-programmed workouts, etc). In short, I think the Surge is great for a beginner or intermediate runner, but you might want to upgrade to one of the higher-end Garmins if you are doing speedwork or anything like that. And, I'd hesitate to recommend the Surge since so many people have complained about the band issues I'm having. It actually looks like mine has lasted much longer than many others'...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Officially did the first run of my first ever official running training plan today, lol. Took me long enough! I have jumped half way into the Up to 30 Miles Per Week 10 Week Building Mileage Training Plan from Pete Pfitzinger (from the book Faster Road Racing: 5k to Half Marathon). This should finally work out my issues with my long runs being way too high a percentage of my weekly mileage, and allow me to safely build my distance. I'm already doing 23-25 miles per week, hence the 'jumping into the middle of the plan'.

Today was General Aerobic 5 miles. My next step is to really start working out my HR zones as this training plan incorporates LT and speed training runs as well.

xvozbamq4tsc.jpg

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11 – 1:43:24
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25 – 2:09:58
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Fall Harvest 5k – 11/13
    Christmas-y run???
    Run for the Wild 5k (Bronx Zoo) – 4/29/17
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I'm going to chime in even though I don't have a Surge. I have the Blaze and I love this thing, I've beat the crud out of it since they came out and it still looks fine and preforms well. The Blaze does not have gps built in though but I'm one of those people who's phone never leaves their side so I'm fine with the no gps option. The fitbit program stacks well with other running programs on my phone as well.

That being said I would have to agree with @ceciliaslater that they seem to be more general fitness watches and not running specific. While I will continue to use mine until it falls apart I will probably go with a running specific Garmin watch on my next purchase since I've continued to run more as my fitness journey has progressed.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Here I am - not running, just lurking like @Elise4270 :wink: I'm glad the PT visit was good - hope the other leg doesn't bother you for long.

@RespectTheKitty YAY FOR YOU on your progress!!! That's so awesome. Here are congratulatory **hugs**...as for stairs...there are four (LOOONG) flights up to my office, and I should take them all the time, but I tend to avoid them because stair climbing aggravates my knees. Hopefully the PT will help with that. I know my quads complain when I do use the stairs, so I'm sure I'd benefit from taking them. There's a fundraiser in Chicago called "Hustle Up the Handcock" (have you heard of it?) - - you run up the entire skyscraper's worth of stairs - not sure how many flights, but it's a lot. My boyfriend-the-firefighter mentioned doing it rather casually a few years back, "it was a good workout," he says - no extra training for it or anything. I guess firefighting is training enough! If it were me, I'd still be in that stairwell LOL

@Azercord good luck with your tight calf!
    @emmab0902 What awful timing for a stomach bug - I hope you recover quickly before your swim
    @MobyCarp Oh no! Here are *hugs* for you, and I'm making a space for you over here on the PT bench :(

And welcome to all the newbies!!