exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oct 1-- 1.5 mi
    Oct 3-- 3.75
    Oct 4-- 2

6.25 so far. A lot less than expected due to lack of sleep from kiddos bring sick
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well guys, I did it. I signed up for a real race! I'm going to be doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving!

https://www.allcommunityevents.com/long_grove_turkey_trot/lgtthome.html

It's in the village of Long Grove, IL, which is a really beautiful area. The race finishes under a covered bridge, and I get a fleece pullover AND a free beer at the finish. :smile:

My boyfriend graciously offered to help me with the cost.

They have a 5k and an 8k. I thought about doing the 8k, but then I decided to go for the 5k because it's my first race and I probably shouldn't push myself too hard since everything will be crazy and new.

That is exciting. Wish me luck! I hope this will be a new Thanksgiving tradition for me.

So exciting seeing you getting race ready! Sounds like a great first run and race swag! High 5 that bf! Hes seems like a good one!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Well guys, I did it. I signed up for a real race! I'm going to be doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving!

It's in the village of Long Grove, IL, which is a really beautiful area. The race finishes under a covered bridge, and I get a fleece pullover AND a free beer at the finish. :smile:

They have a 5k and an 8k. I thought about doing the 8k, but then I decided to go for the 5k because it's my first race and I probably shouldn't push myself too hard since everything will be crazy and new.

This is exciting. Wish me luck! I hope this will be a new Thanksgiving tradition for me.

Awesome! Hope you have a great time!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Yay! Good for you! We'll be cheering for you :smile:
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim I don't think I'll be able to make it down to watch the Chicago Marathon in person this Sunday, but hope to see it on tv at least. Regardless, I'll be cheering for you :smile: Hope the flight goes ok - sounds like the back up flight is a good plan. I hope you have a very nice visit to our fair city :wink:
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Date -- Miles --> Total
    10/01 -- 3.1 --> 3.1 + strength
    10/02 -- 6.4 --> 9.5
    10/03 -- Rest
    10/04 -- Strength
    10/05 -- 4.0 --> 13.5

I forgot to log here the last few days. Monday I originally planned to do some sort of recovery/start-the-week run. But couldn't get up early enough and decided to skip it. Tuesday is trash day. I don't like to run in the neighborhood with the trash outside waiting to be picked up. I did my bodyweight routine and I hope I will continue to do this every Tuesday and Friday. Thanks to @_nikkiwolf_ for becoming my strength training accountability partner, I almost skipped it last night but felt like "someone is going to check and I better get it done" :) I also really want to sleep in today and skip the run (again) but I thought I should get the run in so I could report here :) This challenge has been very helpful to me!

ETA:
    exercise.png
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner congrats on your first half marathon! I'm going for my first HM In November. Do you hVe any insights to share?

@jodilynnsanders5104 Thank you! I loved the race. As far as HM Tips, I can definitely recommend the following:
    • About 2 weeks before my race, I did a trial practice long run including eating what I planned to eat / drink pre-race and fuel during the race, wearing what I planned to wear, and running about 30 to 40 seconds slower than goal pace as a negative split. I know you aren't supposed to set a goal pace for your first HM or 1st Marathon, but I think most of us have an idea what we want to do / think we can do. Anyway, this definitely helped build my confidence since I felt really good after the run and knew I could definitely step it up a notch in the race.
    • In the weeks leading up to the race, I would run faster towards the end of several runs so I would get used to running fast on tired legs.
    • On race day, don't get sucked into the pack of racers that starts out fast. It's so easy to do because your adrenaline is going and you're feeling great, but you'll get winded too early. Run at the pace you trained to run. I ended up beating at least 3 women who went out too fast because I was able to maintain my energy later in the race and finish 5th for females overall.
    • If your race is early like mine was, don't start that 3rd cup of coffee like I did! LOL 2 cups are just fine. ;)
    • If you want good race pics, make sure the shirt you plan to wear doesn't amplify "wetness." I ended up changing my mind about what to wear, but it's something I've run in previously so I knew it would be fine from a comfort perspective. However, I forgot that any drop of liquid is super bright in the shirt I wore. Well, as you can imagine, when running 13.1 miles, your sports bra will retain quite a bit of moisture, which makes for some very awkward looking race pictures. (Yes, I had 2 large wet circles in my chest area.) LOL!
    • Rest the day before and make sure you drink plenty of water. I was going the the bathroom so much before the race, I was a bit worried, but once you start running and sweating, the bathroom urges totally went away.

Best wishes in your race!! I'm sure you'll do awesome, and I can't wait to hear about it. You're welcome to message me if you have any questions. :smiley:
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner thanks for the tips - most helpful
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

This is exciting. Wish me luck! I hope this will be a new Thanksgiving tradition for me.

Congratulations! I know that this is a big hurdle for you! I know that you are going to have a blast!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty congrats on signing up for your first race! I remember mine well. Racing for the first time is a great experience. You'll love it!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better
    10/4: Body Pump and 3 more slow miles

23.6 of 115 / Ticker isn’t updating. :(

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

@respectthekitty Congrats on your 1st 5K!! I’m excited for you and know you’ll have a blast. :smiley:

@_nikkiwolf_ Please keep us posted on the new shoes! I’m about 75% of the way through Born to Run and am seriously considering gradually going to more of a minimalist shoe. I definitely want to research it more, but I’m curious to see how it goes for you.

@juliet3455 and @stoshew71 – Thanks for the links to the article / blog about the post HM / Marathon taper.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 2.08 Easy
    10/4 - 4.0 Easy Track AM
    10/4 - 2.04 XC Indian Run PM
    10/5 - 7.18 Easy W/ 2 @ MP

Total 15.30 of ????

Haven't really set a goal for this month, outside of finishing the marathon this weekend. If I finish in one piece I'll probably get to 150-170 miles this month, if not....who knows.

Still trying to recover from the hip issues from last weekends long run. I ended up skipping the 13 mile long run Sunday, The hip felt OK yesterday on a couple easy runs, and then again today on the last real workout before Sundays race. I think I'm still going to go ahead and attempt the full, but have until Saturday to decide and switch entries at the expo. I'm going to do all the easy runs the rest of the week (5 Thur, 5 Fri & 3-4 Sat) and evaluate things after lunch on Saturday before I go to the packet pickup. I also received the pacers info and they are going to go for 3:57:00 vs 4:00:00 like years past. Not sure if that makes a lot of difference but it's about 7 sec per mile. Reasoning was to go 3 minutes under to help BQ times. They also have a 4:12 pace group but I'm probably too stubborn to do that unless the hip is still an issue that morning.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner , the ticker is being stupid as of late, put all your info in but before you copy it, refresh your page, it will update it then you can copy it...
  • johnnylloyd0618
    Options
    @BeeerRunner , ps, how did your HM go?
  • johnnylloyd0618
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty congrats on signing up! Kill 'em!