October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Congrats on your new doggie!

@ddmom0811 Stay safe!

@KatieJane83 Your strides sound good to me.

I'm so ready to run tomorrow. May be a wet one.
  • Hoveringsock
    Hoveringsock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 80. I've got 11.6 down so far, so I might be a bit behind, but I'll pick it up on the weekend.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to post for a few days so a quick update on that... Work is crazy (I give up... seems to be a regular/standard occurance these days... sigh). I am running (and showering :wink:) when I can before my day starts, between meetings or at the end of the day if it isn't too warm... most of you know I am a morning runner and this is Killin' me! Also my trainer is off on a ride this week so no training tonight which just makes me even more fidgety!
    @ddmom0811 - I hope you are all safe along with anyone else in the Hurricanes path!!
    @katharmonic - awesom puppy and new running partner!
    @MNLittleFinn - seriously - snow!? in early October!? WOW! Just so you know it will be in the 90s here through the weekend! ugh.....
    I will catch up on everyone else over the weekend!

Date.........Miles........Total
    10/01......12.16.......12.16
    10/02........0.00.......12.16 - Dog beach Sunday
    10/03........5.23.......17.39 + Agility
    10/04........4.26.......21.65 + Strength Training
    10/05........0.00.......21.65
    10/06........3.87.......25.52 + Rally Obedience

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle

11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Anyone have the new Garmin HR Run? My Garmin soft strap HRM is annoying the heck out of me, and I'm thinking about switching to a different HRM.

yes, it works well but in the last couple of months I keep having a small bruise on my chest where the "washing" label is - not sure though is compatible with all the watches

I had to replace the battery after 8 months and it still works pretty well

the only thing that I don't like is the fact that it seems to measure sometimes some spikes at the beginning of a run, especially when it is (I am) cold - my fitbit doens't record that, so not sure if it's me or the strap

I also noticed that sometimes the calorie prediction is completely random (comparing same efforts, same distance, same pace etc), but that's quite rare

the "old" garmin HRM straps normally last for 1 year - I kept having spikes after about 11 months, so I bought a new one, and researching a bit on the web I found that is very common for that type of strap to last for about 1 year - and they are really uncomfortable to wear - I never had any bruises, but it kept falling down the chest, so annoying!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Planned to do 2 x 3.8km session today but just didn't have it - no energy, no motivation, stiff legs and felt like I might do some damage if I continued so did my warm up then about 3/4 of the first interval totalling 3.2k. I have done *lots* of pace walking this week so probably a bit overtired! Have my daughter this weekend so no running and will get back to it Monday.

exercise.png
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    October Miles:

Oct 1 - 3 miles - Fleet Feet Personal Best Class - speed work
    Oct 2 - 5.5 miles - easy run
    Oct 3 - 10 miles crosstrain (cycling)
    Oct 4 - 3 miles - Fleet Feet Trail Run Series - demo Altra Lone Peak 3.0
    Oct 5 - 10 miles crosstrain (cycling)
    Oct 6 - 3.5 miles

First 10K coming up on Sunday...
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner @juliet3455 Thanks for your thoughts :)

I need to try on the Brooks Cascadia 11. I did not like last year's Brooks shoes with the weave in the tops of the shoes - I found the Ghost 8 very uncomfortable but love my 9's so it may be worth looking at the Cascadia 11.

I will probably stay away from the Salomon because I understand they are narrow (many reviews mentioned the same thing @juliet3455 said above) and the durability of the outside lugs is questionable on the Speedcross 3's (the 4's may be better). I just really liked the under $80 price on the Speedcross 3's...

Ultimately, I won't run another trail until Spring so I will probably wait and try to get the Peregrine 6's when the price drops in the Spring (hopefully :) ) - from all the reviews I read, they seem like an excellent multi-purpose trail shoe that can handle easy and technical trails, and I like the way they felt when running in them.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    10/1- 4.04 miles
    10/2- Rest/Travel day
    10/3- 3.47
    10/4- 5.03
    10/5- 3.0
    10/6- 5.0

Total: 25.05/60

Today's notes: Another no HRM or Garmin Run, so another z3 run (by how I felt, slowing down is hard without my visual reminders).

And, I tell ya, the snow was a disappointment. Sure it's falling, but none is sticking....it was like running through thick rain rather than snow, and the snowflakes 6 inches in front of my face, combined with the light from my headlamp, made for some dizzy moments.

Oh well. at 21 miles for the week, so I don't even need a long run to keep me in the 25-30 mile range I want for this "off" season.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    10/3: 2.25 miles
    10/4: 2 miles
    10/5: 2 miles
    10/6: Rest Day
    Today: 2 miles

Total/October: 13.15 miles
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 12.2 mile group run. It was a nice cool morning.
    10/2 - Rest day with much over-eating.
    10/3 - Overslept, but squeezed in a short 3.1 miles.
    10/4 - Bodypump class, then a TOUGH Abs/Core class. Finally won the Snooze Button Battle!
    10/5 - 5.06 miles. After last night's rain, we have officially begun slippery leaf season.
    10/6 - Taper / rest day. Only 10 days until IMT Half Marathon. Can't wait...love the race day atmosphere!
    10/7 - 5.01 miles. Chilly and windy today = long sleeves and tights.

exercise.png
  • emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    October goal: 75 miles.
    Today's run: 7 miles.
    Month to date: 25.3 miles.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - Sublimated! Yes! So glad you recognize that! (Science geek talking)
    @MNLittleFinn - Real snow is way better than chunky rain to run in. I'd be disappointed too.
    @ddmom0811 - Hope you are still doing OK and don't have a wine hangover :-)
    @katharmonic - What a cutie!! Enjoy your new pup!

All - anyone else have a disappearing news feed? Is there a fix?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @karllundy my news feed is gone too.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @karllundy mine too
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Mine too. If you stroll over to the Forums you'll see it seems to be an issue for everyone right now.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I was texting with a group of cycling friends first thing this morning when the wind was gusting maybe 40 mph. And one of them said "oh my gosh a runner just went by" and everyone was replying "what a nut!" This was while I was thinking "it seems safe to run this morning".

ha ha!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just updating my ticker.

Today I did a practice run of waking up earlier than usual. No running, since I just ran last night, but I was able to take my time getting ready for work and even got to work early. It's at the point now where it's still dark when I plan to get outside, but the sun comes up pretty quickly after that, so no worries. Tomorrow will be my first morning run in a couple weeks.

Stay safe, everyone who's in the path of the hurricane!

exercise.png