October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dantra29
    dantra29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have very little time to myself / 2 kids / 2 jobs / new to running...going for 50 miles!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    OK, now I'm inspired. I'm looking at HM training programs online. I like the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan; it looks like something I could manage. My question is, is this something I want to do during the winter (mostly on the treadmill because Chicago winters suck), or wait until spring to buckle down when I can run outside more? People who have trained for HMs, what did you do? If I train during the winter, I could do a spring race, otherwise I'm looking at an early to mid summer race, which might be all kinds of hot.

I'm in the same boat - my first is the Indy Mini in May 2017 - I can't decide between Higdon, Hansens or the 80/20 training plans - I'm leaning 80/20 but I had success with Higdon's 10K plan, so I'm still torn.

Whatever plan I choose will need to start in February, and here in Central NY, it will be cold and snowy (just like Chicago I imagine :) ) - I hope to get outside one day a week for a longer road run - looking at winter sneaker options now...
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    Trying the ticker again...I've had issues so far this month...

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options

First Treadmill Run of the season. I do not like the treadmill. But then, I fall down in the Dark, so Compromises must be made.
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Oct  1     6.2      6.2 
    Oct  2     6.5     12.7 
    Oct  4     4.3     17.0 
    Oct  5     4.3T    21.3 

exercise.png

• Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 8.35
    10/2 - 7.20 - 15.55
    10/3 - 7.24 - 22.79
    10/4 - 7.28 - 30.07
    10/5 - 7.14 - 37.21 - Went over 1600 mile YTD today - most miles I have run in a year in my life - 400 miles left to go to reach my goal of 2,000 miles - still working on running faster as I have always been a fairly slow runner and my fast may be slow to some but I want to maintain an 8 and 1/2 minute mile - getting there slowly but surely
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the training advice! I think the universe really wants me to run, because I unexpectedly received a check in the mail from an overpayment on my bankruptcy settlement (more good news... I'm finally discharged!). I am going to use this money to buy some cold weather running gear. Hooray!

Got 5 miles in today. My anxiety was getting pretty bad due to having a rest day. I know I need rest days, but dang, do I get grouchy!

exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    agusia_b wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty We are running the same 5K on Thanksgiving! It's a great race and it always sells out. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Which 5k are you doing? I'm doing the later start one for people over 10 min/mile because I am a turtle.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Used my new Garmin Fenix 3 this morning on the run. Still lots to figure out. Since it was dark out, I had trouble reading it unless I shined one of my running lights on it. There is a light button on it, but I'm not coordinated enough to hold that while running. Also I somehow paused it because at one point I looked down and it said "RESUME". So I did. It looks like I paused for only .4 miles so that's good (since I'm still using endomondo as well). It kept vibrating or buzzing me, and I have no idea why. I need to read the instructions.
    Also, I had to tighten it up because I thought I was going to end up with a bruise on my wrist bone because it was banging against my wrist.
    Still got a bunch of posts to catch up, so I might be repeating something someone else has already said (78 *kitten* posts TODAY?! :smiley: WOW!).
    I have the Garmin vivoactive. About the lights - I'm betting that if you are in the run app, you can swipe on the watch face (like switching screens) and the backlight will come on. The pausing is automatic - you can turn it off, I think. The buzzing - usually for me it's when I have an alert set up (pace, HR, etc.) in the run app.

I had to both read the instructions and live with it a while to really get it. But I like mine quite well.
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    10/3 5.24 miles
    10/4 5.15 miles
    10/5 4.01 miles

Good start to the month.
    Totally bummed, though. I didn't get a chance to sign up for the October awesomevirtualrunning.com the other day - I just checked, and it's already sold out. =/

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I feel creeped out now. Just found out someone was burglarizing my street (unlocked cars) Tuesday morning sometime before I ran I suppose. I don't recall seeing anything odd. Just feels weird.

Also a clown was arrested nearby today for terrorizing people. Sheesh! I'm spooked now.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    10/5 - 4.05

October total: 12.05/100

A bit behind. I was glutened (celiac disease - not fun) on Saturday and didn't get my run in Monday (barely made it today). I plan to move my Monday run to Sunday.

Ugh, the clown thing. We had two fast food places right down the street robbed by clowns last week. They caught those but the schools have been getting threats. If I ran into a clown on a morning run I would die. I hate clowns!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I feel creeped out now. Just found out someone was burglarizing my street (unlocked cars) Tuesday morning sometime before I ran I suppose. I don't recall seeing anything odd. Just feels weird.

Also a clown was arrested nearby today for terrorizing people. Sheesh! I'm spooked now.

Wow! Seems like there was a fair chance they saw you and you didn't see them. *kitten* is gettin' crazy in this world!
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Was able to run today after taking some days off due to very bad foot pain (extensor tendonitis?) Hopefully it doesn't get worse. I think I made a mistake getting shoes that fit too tightly instead of being a little loose, but they've reached 400+ miles anyway so I'll just go shoe shopping soon and be more careful.
    @Orphia Thanks!
    Also thanks @_nikkiwolf_ for your encouraging post in last month's thread!

exercise.png
    10/1 6.2 (6.2 MTD)
    10/5 6.2 (12.4 MTD)
    Upcoming races:
    9/10 - Louisville Pure Tap 5k 25:03
    10/1 - Norton Sports Health Great Pumpkin 10k 51:12
    10/22 - Urban Bourbon Half Marathon
    11/24 - Hungry Turkey 5k

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Another 3.5 this morning. Now at 10.5.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of people putting in AMAZING distances - awesome!!!!

1 October rest day
    2 October 5km run
    3 October 2.9km swim
    4 October 5km run
    5 October 2.4km run
    6 October 3.2km run

Running total 13.2km
    Swimming total 5.3km

Running goal 40km
    Swimming goal 40km
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal...run to earn wine and ice cream

10/1: core/strength training, 2 mile run and 20 minutes of fancy footwork trying to herd the neighbor's stray cow out of our yard
    10/2 rest
    10/3 slug...never got out of my nightgown and played computer games (it was FABULOUS!)
    10/4 4.10
    10/5 3.11

Total 9.21

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Damn ticker still not working properly...another 5.5km this morning.
    16.5km total 53.5 to go