Well-meaning sabotage.

Not everybody has been blessed with an iron-hard constitution and ability to avoid temptation. Certainly not me!

Whenever I put forth a real effort to maintain a healthier lifestyle I find that my family members seem to go out of their way to sabotage my efforts. They ask for the most fattening meals possible to be prepared. They discourage me from going for my evening walks. They bring me treats knowing I will have a hard time turning them down.

It's hard enough not to have the active support of people who care about me without their active sabotage. Is anyone else experiencing this and if so what do you do about it?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Reverse psychology. Tell them you are trying to gain weight.

Meanwhile. You and only you, have control over what you eat.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    I understand why you're frustrated but like others said I think we just end up more sensitive to people's unhelpful suggestions when we are being conscious of our health. We can't exactly expect them to overhaul their lifestyle to suit us either.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    Not everybody has been blessed with an iron-hard constitution and ability to avoid temptation. Certainly not me!

Whenever I put forth a real effort to maintain a healthier lifestyle I find that my family members seem to go out of their way to sabotage my efforts. They ask for the most fattening meals possible to be prepared. They discourage me from going for my evening walks. They bring me treats knowing I will have a hard time turning them down.

It's hard enough not to have the active support of people who care about me without their active sabotage. Is anyone else experiencing this and if so what do you do about it?

When you are not making this effort do they not ask for fattening meals or offer you treats? Are they suddenly eating different or are you just sensitive to it because you are doing something different?
    Why do they care that you are doing this?
    I would talk about your goals. Tell them they don't have to change but you do not want these items handed to you any more and you will be exercising every evening during a set time from now on. Do not accept treats you don't want. Spend time with people before or after your exercise period.

My family is eating the same as always and so am I mostly. I've had the easiest time this time because I eat normally.
    I might leave cheese off my burger and have a salad with it or put more vegetables on my plate. No one cares what I do to my plate of food.
    They buy things they like for snacks that I don't eat. They will ask me if I want some sometimes but if I say no they don't care.
    No one has ever interfered with my exercise.
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    I think the snacks thing isn't sabotage - they just want to reward you. Sounds dumb, I know, but we have been conditioned that when someone does something good they deserve a reward. Why not buy healthy snacks? Little boxes of raisins, nuts, even some popcorn kernels to air pop. Explain if they want to offer you a snack, make it one of these. As for dinner time, either they eat what the cook makes or cereal. That's the rule in my house and my kids are 8 and 6. If they can follow that, anyone can.

As for exercise, enjoy the time alone. Buy some headphones and rock out to your favorite bands or even get books to listen to as you walk. I much more prefer walking alone than with someone. Also ask around on Facebook to find exercise buddies. Make it your special time away from the family.
  • brialger
    brialger Posts: 41 Member
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    Oh, I say no to the temptations that they throw in my path. And every night I ask them to join me for my walk, and they say no, and then asked me to join them to play cards or watch TV with them. So I go for my walk with my dog. And I make lots of vegetables and salads at every meal, but they will prepare themselves burgers and cheese or fried fish to go with theirs.

My problem is that it hurts my feelings.

When anyone in my family tries something new I am always 100% supportive and encouraging. More than anything I just feel let down.

But screw 'em! When I'm healthy and fit it'll be due to me, and nobody else.

I had the exact same issue with my family. I'm not someone with a temper but if they keep pushing after i politely decline the first time I cant stop my voice from raising.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    220Dani wrote: »
    I think the snacks thing isn't sabotage - they just want to reward you. Sounds dumb, I know, but we have been conditioned that when someone does something good they deserve a reward. Why not buy healthy snacks? Little boxes of raisins, nuts, even some popcorn kernels to air pop. Explain if they want to offer you a snack, make it one of these. As for dinner time, either they eat what the cook makes or cereal. That's the rule in my house and my kids are 8 and 6. If they can follow that, anyone can.

Or, if they are adults and capable of preparing food, they can prepare themselves a burger and cheese or fried fish - which they are doing for themselves.

They are not making OP eat that.

Not getting the problem with that.