Eating disorders.

Options
I'd like to just say that no matter what kind of eating disorder you may have, you deserve the love and support of others.

I have a fear of food, something I hate to admit but if you were to look at my diary it would be obvious. Only last week I was eating 700 calories and still exercising. I've been eating more so I don't pass out at showchoir where I'm dancing for 6+ hours a day for a week. But I feel that I'm getting ridiculed for this. I know it's not right. I know I need to eat more. Smack me if I had been oblivious to these facts but I'm not. I know these things and I know what I need to do but that doesn't make it any easier or less scary.
But I have people sending me messages telling me these things or even yelling at me that it's "Sick" that I don't eat enough and "rediculous" that I could treat my body this way. Or course I get encouraging words and nice people, no doubt. There are supportive people out there. But I see people who over eat almost every day and all they get is" tomorrow's another day" "you can do this!"
I don't know, I just want people to know that an eating disorder is an eating disorder. Everyone deserves support and care, expecially those who are afraid of food or afraid to leave food. Those with binge-eating, Anorexia, Bulimia, ednos. anyone and everyone on here deserves support. Don't put anyone down, it's not right.

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for this to be so long but I didn't really know how to cut it down.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    :flowerforyou: (((HUGS))) You are beautiful...and pushing yourself to eat more when you have a fear of food is very brave. Feel free to friend me, I know what you are going through!
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree with you girl. People like me, who have always eaten as much as we possibly can without busting, just can't imagine people who psychologically CANNOT put food in their mouths. That is, of course, until you have someone in your own family who is going to lose their life any day now to an eating disorder. You realize that it truly is psychological and nobody WANTS to push themselves to the brink of death.

I hope you can get past this, and I hope you don't rule out letting your family or friends know about this problem so perhaps they can help you seek help. Looking at your pictures, you look incredible! Don't let that go to waste. My cousin wasn't fat andw as built normal, but now looks sickly.
  • EmilyKateAlice
    Options
    You're so right. I'm so sick of people treating me like I'm not a real person! I think part of it is that in a lot of movies and on TV, girls with eating disorders are stereotyped. We're treated like we're stupid, fake and like we have to be 'fixed'. When will people realise that we're people too?! Stop stereotyping us all and pretending you know what we think and how we feel for God's sake! Don't pretend to understand when there's no way you could.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    I'm really sorry you are going through this. I used to be bulimic. I know how you feel. It is hard for others to understand... which can bring on negative comments.

I hope you can continue to try to have a 'healthier" view of food. It sounds like you are already taking the baby steps needed toward getting better. Please get the help you need. Until then, I am here if you need support...

Sincerely....
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    Yes! I'm so happy you guys understand! <3

Some people don't understand until it's put in front of them. I just want people to think about it. Everyone deserves support!
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't take others too seriously. The "smart" people say to eat at least 1200 calories so you body doesn't think there is a food shortage causing your metabolism to slow down. The "smart" people also say to eat your calories but that does not work for me. Do what feels best for you, it is your body. Stay to the minimum and eat as you see fit. Your picture looks just fine. If you wish you can send a friend request.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through what you are. You are a brave sole, and I give you credit for finding this site to help you on your trek as well. This should be a place for anyone concerned with getting healthy. Whether it be to lose, to gain, to build muscle, to tone, or just plain see what they have been eating and find a way to make it better. My best to you. I think you are a darling gal. Hang in there, and keep logging food and hopefully build it up little, to YOUR comfort zone. As everyone says, "baby steps". Best of luck to you.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through what you are. You are a brave sole, and I give you credit for finding this site to help you on your trek as well. This should be a place for anyone concerned with getting healthy. Whether it be to lose, to gain, to build muscle, to tone, or just plain see what they have been eating and find a way to make it better. My best to you. I think you are a darling gal. Hang in there, and keep logging food and hopefully build it up little, to YOUR comfort zone. As everyone says, "baby steps". Best of luck to you.

I couldn't have said it better myself! and thank you<3
  • EmilyKateAlice
    Options
    QUOTE:

Yes that is an excellent way of putting it. <3
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sorry you are going through this! I don't have an eating disorder but often eat around 800-1000 cals due to not always having much food in the house as we are on a tight budget and i would much rather my children ate than me. I got so fed up with explaining this that I restarted and now have only one friend on here.

You are doing great and don't deserve any less support than anyone else on here. Some people just see the cals and don't think that there might be a real reason why they are low.
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    I agree! It took me a couple of months just to get the minimum of 1,200 calories...and I'm terrified of going over. I recommend FatSecret for support...all my friends there were great at helping me get a little bit over my starving/purging issues. There are no "calorie goal" posts for everyone to see. You can post journals instead or comments on the weigh in. Anyways...

I'm still terrified of food, and it's hard sometimes looking at my intake being over just 1,000. I know it's hard when it says I'm "under my calorie goal!" like it's so happy for me. I feel like I did good(especially if it was under 1,000), yet stupid for not doing what I should be doing. And when people comment positive things when I add a new low weight. -sigh-

If it's ok with you, I'd like to add you as a friend. Maybe we'll have at least one person who can be supportive ^_^
  • fuhhletch
    fuhhletch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!
    I especially agree with the statement someone made about how it's portrayed in media...it's quite frustrating. I know for me personally, I always had to deal with hearing things like "Oh, they just need to be loved! It's a cry for attention!" or "They just want to impress people". Ughh, such BS. I always have to reiterate that when I'm "dieting", I'm doing it for myself and only myself. Just like any diet should be - not to please others.

also, this is my first post on here! .__. hi.
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I used to suffer from anorexia, not to the point I ended up as a "Movie of the Week" story, but the thing that upset me most was how people have the impression that an eating disorder is "the easy way" to lose weight. It still upsets me. There is nothing easy about an eating disorder, and that's not how I started having one. When I get stressed, I don't feel hungry, and if I do eat, it's because I force myself to. After a week of barely eating I noticed myself shrinking and figured I was able to take advantage of my stress. Eventually, I gained my hunger back but continued with the calorie restriction. I was never afraid of food and I didn't count calories but I got addicted to the feeling of being hungry, and I associated that sensation with weight melting off. I don't have the problem of fighting it every day like those who battle the illness for years, but I can completely empathize.

The easiest weight loss (and it still isn't easy) is eating healthy, staying active, and knowing what works for an individual's body. It's amazing how doing things "The Right Way" is sooooo much easier than lying to everyone, covering up your tracks and making excuses not to eat, avoiding social occasions because they may revolve around food (how does one refuse food at a banquet, for example), terrible fatigue, stomach cramps, and passing out (I'm also hypoglycemic, on days I wouldn't eat, I had to at least make sure my sugar wasn't low enough to send me to the hospital. I wanted thinness, not death). And that's just what I dealt with at the time. There are so many other things sufferers of eating disorders go through, that's why they "suffer".

Have pride in how far you have come! :flowerforyou:
  • butterflikisses13
    butterflikisses13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am eating disordered. Never diagnosed with anything. But I never eat right. I either eat far too much or nothing at all and everyone always yells at me that I'm too thin and not to worry. But it's hard. I've been trying to eat right but it's really hard to get up to the 1200 the MFP diary is looking for. I'm here for support, add if you want to! =)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    ((HUGS))

Please try to take the negative comments in stride and know that you're doin the right thing and taking the steps you need for your own journey.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sorry you are going through this! I don't have an eating disorder but often eat around 800-1000 cals due to not always having much food in the house as we are on a tight budget and i would much rather my children ate than me. I got so fed up with explaining this that I restarted and now have only one friend on here.

You are doing great and don't deserve any less support than anyone else on here. Some people just see the cals and don't think that there might be a real reason why they are low.

NOBODY should have to make the choice between feeding their kids and feeding themselves. Hugs to you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You are so pretty.. don't let anyone on this site tell you otherwise!

I understand... it's hard to eat! Just like it's hard to change from eating fast food every day to eating healthier options. It doesn't happen over night and it shouldn't have to happen over night. Keep adding little by little until you get up to a healthy calorie goal(whatever that is for you).

Take it slow and you'll get there girl.. no one got where they are by rushing process.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Great post!!

You can do this!!!
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    (original post)

agreed.
    :]
    Recovery is being something of a devil to me. My body feels better, it's functioning better, and I know it appreciated me giving it what it needs... but eating the 1200-1500 I need a day is excruciating. My mind, emotions, and eating disorder voice all scream at me to stop what I'm doing.

You're very strong for eating more, I support you 100% as long as you're actively trying- and even if you fall off the wagon, revert to old ways, or your disorder morphs and you suddenly go off into left field you have the support of a total and complete stranger, lol.

Be strong, Lady stranger. B*tch slap your eating disorder and be good to you!