Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it the same for everyone ?

Options

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Do you.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    CICO works if your sole goal is to lose weight.
    If you're looking to lose weight, stay satiated, and be healthier overall, it's mildly more complex than that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. Some find carbs more filling than fat etc.

Heck for me it varies from week to week, so who knows.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    CICO works if your sole goal is to lose weight.
    If you're looking to lose weight, stay satiated, and be healthier overall, it's mildly more complex than that.

Meh, I eat a pretty typical SAD diet (I do eat veggies every day, but I also eat fast food several times a week, chips every day etc). am satiated with my food choices, and am in excellent health by every marker that my doctor goes by (my triglycerides are in the 40s, for example), and I've found it to be as simple as CICO.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You all crack me up.. how about plateaus? okay.. Many people on here are stuck for many long weeks..even months ... many months sometimes.. working out and eating at a deficit and don't lose. If CICO worked consistently ... we'd all be at goal by now. there wouldn't be one discouraging post.

I think it works perfectly for some...and those are the ones who point the boney finger at all the others who it doesn't work as well for.. and blame them for not eating at a low enough deficit or that they're dong it wrong.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    It's definitely not the same for everyone. There are going to be some general concepts that will be mostly true for most people ("foods with a high fiber/water content will fill you up faster" "protein and fiber help you feel full for longer" "eating a large amount of starch/sugar on its own will leave you feeling hungrier sooner"), but there's more to it than that. Physiologically, yes, people are quite similar. But, as a few people have said or alluded to, there's a huge psychological component to satiety, plus people's hormonal responses to food can vary widely.

Once you eat the food, did your body produce the proper type and amount of hormones in response? Did your brain and other organs accept, interpret, and respond to the hormones in the proper way? Did you eat a sufficient amount/type of foods and nutrients but still feel unsatisfied because your meal lacked a food you enjoy the taste of? Is there an issue in your life that drives you to continue to eat even after you physically feel full?

Side note re: CICO - I am a legit, honest-to-god, special snowflake who for YEARS did everything correctly on the logging side, followed my Fitbit, and religiously ate at a calorie goal that, per MFP, should have allowed me to lose 1-2lbs per week, and yet lost basically nothing. Medical testing eventually revealed that my body simply burns ~25-30% fewer calories per day than what would be expected for someone with my stats and activity level - my metabolism is more comparable to someone 11 inches shorter and 65 years older than I am - such that what I thought was a 500-1000/day deficit was really closer to maintenance (which, honestly, I knew already based on the math, but I resisted believing it until a knowledgeable doctor put numbers in front of me). CICO is still true for me, just as it is for everyone else on this planet. It just took me a little more work to nail down the "CO" side - now that I have, I'm finally having slow but steady success by simply eating fewer calories than what I now know I'm actually burning each day.

Nice post as it shows that CICO can be more complex for some because the CO side can vary more for some, which is why many of us always advocate doing a systematic reduction of calories to see how your body is reacting. I think you are statistically a true 1 in a million with that much lower of a metabolism than the mean.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    always a blame game. Just read a post where a girl was thanking people for telling her to up her calories that she was only eating 1100 calories a day and not losing after her initial 10 pound loss. now if CICO worked..she would have continued to lose. But she didn't.. because her body and metabolism where off.

There is more to it than CICO.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    always a blame game. Just read a post where a girl was thanking people for telling her to up her calories that she was only eating 1100 calories a day and not losing after her initial 10 pound loss. now if CICO worked..she would have continued to lose. But she didn't.. because her body and metabolism where off.

There is more to it than CICO.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/