Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ktothema wrote: »
    I did 5:2 and lost 6 stone, maintained it fabulously switching to 16:8 on fast days. Back on the 5:2 after a summer of abject naughtiness, and feeling much better for it.

Woooow! Awesome!
  • MrsKila
    Options
    When I would eat breakfast, I was soooo hungry for the rest of the day. I would go over my calorie limit. Then a few days, I didn't eat breakfast, just ate lunch or dinner, and my hunger was completely under control. I listened to my body tell me when I was hungry, and that led me to 16:8. It's been great so far.

Great! :)
  • LPJM1710
    LPJM1710 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weight 215 Lbs I am 6'4" if I can stand really straight. My goal is body composition more about losing weight for dietary reasons more so because of gut problems that are causing my spine to become twisted. Losing a little weight will also help my knees too. I have also dropped working out with weights preferring body weight exercises. I've come to the painful conclusion that unless I have a trainer watching over me getting my posture in the correct position and correct technique on my own, I don't trust myself.

I admit to doing things in extreme, testing my body and mind to the limit. Last week I decided to go on a five-day water fast without preparation, lost 10 lbs gained a couple of them back although the first few hours were hell on my blood sugar level. Losing or gaining on a daily basis doesn't concern me since I am aware my body can go up and down by several lbs any day. I like to weigh myself in the morning and evening. Tomorrow I will prepare my lunch that is likely to be a protein shake while going without breakfast. I have to drive about 200 miles so am likely to have snacks later on before I arrive home to go for a short climbing session. Even while fasting last week I trained every day but gave myself boundaries to prevent injury since my training involves mostly climbing and gymnastics focusing on a strong core. Today I refrained from eating my Mothers Apple pie normally I could never do this.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    swabyhall wrote: »
    I just started IF 16:8 about a week ago. Lost 3 pounds that I was stuck on for weeks. I'm really enjoying doing it.

Does it matter when u do the 16 hrs fasting?

No. As long as you're fasting for 16 and eating during your feed window. It will work.

Can sleep hours be factored into the 16 hours of fasting?

Definitely! I do five hours of eating but from 5-10pm so that my sleep time can factor into the 19 hours fasting time and it really helps to make it easier. Fast:five has helped me to control my eating and I no longer feel hungry until just before my window opens. However, on days I eat with family and friends I change my eating window to suit, and get right back to normal on the following day. I no longer care about the scale as my clothes are slowly falling off. I don't look at IF as a diet with a goal but a permanent lifestyle.
  • MrsKila
    Options
    Going to do 5:2 this week. Let's see how it goes :)
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

this morning before training ...belly...gone! in a little over two months :)

Greetings from Germany

Steve

Wow! - I would not believe this if the evidence was not before my eyes! - well done!

• stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    jamesha100 wrote: »

this morning before training ...belly...gone! in a little over two months :)

Greetings from Germany

Steve

Wow! - I would not believe this if the evidence was not before my eyes! - well done!

Yeah good to read that you are If ing now, i think the combi IOF and Hard short Training sessions is the answer (is for me anyway) especially when you are getting older (i am now over 50)
  • luvnikkic
    luvnikkic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jamesha100 wrote: »
    It peeves me that MFP tells me off when I finish logging at the end of a fast day.

LOL!!! Too funny!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Considering doing IF, stop eating at 7 and have my first meal around 11 the next day. I am already eating at a deficit, so besides creating a calorie deficit, what other benefits are there?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    cathyL11 wrote: »
    There is the calorie deficit yes, but the main advantage is the lack of insulin spiking throughout the day. All those hours of fasting and low insulin secretion, cause your body to switch to relying on your fat deposits for maintenance rather than utilising food sources and laying down new fat deposits. Studies have shown that eating the same number of calories spread throughout the day has a vastly different effect than eating those calories in one short window of time.
    Read The Obesity Code and The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung. . Also there is the Obesity Code Podcast. I feel I’m learning so much from these sources.

Which studies? Are they peer-reviewed and published in reputable sources? Fung is regarded by some as a quack and snake-oil peddler.

I started skipping breakfast after reading about IF and have stuck to it, largely because I enjoy the freedom of having more calories for lunch and dinner. Now I didn't need to lose a ton of fat or have any health problems that I needed to improve so I can't really speak to it's alleged effectiveness in either of those areas; I simply stumbled on to Marten's LeanGains blog and said "hey, I wouldn't mind looking more like this guy". I found a TDEE spreadsheet on reddit and started logging far more accurately starting in late July 2017, I switched to IF in early October and did not see any change in weight loss rate as a result. By weekly average weights I lost 10 lbs from 8/6/17 to 1/21/18 going from 182 to 172 lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There is the calorie deficit yes, but the main advantage is the lack of insulin spiking throughout the day. All those hours of fasting and low insulin secretion, cause your body to switch to relying on your fat deposits for maintenance rather than utilising food sources and laying down new fat deposits. Studies have shown that eating the same number of calories spread throughout the day has a vastly different effect than eating those calories in one short window of time.

Not really. Insulin just doesn't spike. There are basic transient increases after you consume nutrients so your body will store them. No different than how there are enzymes to suppress HSL (fat burning hormone) after you eat fat. The only thing a person is doing by compressing their calories, is moving the window.

Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png

source: https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/
    The intermittent fasting preserves muscle mass in your body and it preserves your basic metabolic rate allowing you to become leaner. On the other hand, frequent small meals throughout the day coupled with a lower calorie intake may cause your BMR to fall, meaning that you may not lose weight as efficiently

Dr. Fung's premise is that after 4 days of fasting (starving yourself) there is an increase in testosterone. Its large fails because there is more than testosterone that is involved in muscle gains. What is actually more important is muscle protein synthesis and protein turnover (creation of new cells).

There is a case to be made, based on new evidence that spreading protein out throughout the day, might yield greater results. It's not to say that it's significant, but there is potential.

And don't get me wrong, IF is definitely a viable strategy, but you don't gain muscle by fasting. You gain muscle through adequate daily protein and lifting.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    How can Fung be a quack? If you just listen to him the principles are basic and maybe it doesn't work for some people, some it works very well. My personal experience is that IF keeps me from putting more calories into my body. I can't eat if i'm sleeping so limiting the hours i do eat is helping me lose fat. i don't know if i completely understand the chemistry but if the liver turns food into sugar for the body to use as energy then if you don't eat as often the body goes and uses fat for energy...isn't that what fat is for? Seems to make basic sense...(Dr. Fung).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    How can Fung be a quack? If you just listen to him the principles are basic and maybe it doesn't work for some people, some it works very well. My personal experience is that IF keeps me from putting more calories into my body. I can't eat if i'm sleeping so limiting the hours i do eat is helping me lose fat. i don't know if i completely understand the chemistry but if the liver turns food into sugar for the body to use as energy then if you don't eat as often the body goes and uses fat for energy...isn't that what fat is for? Seems to make basic sense...(Dr. Fung).

He basically pushes one method of weight managment (keto + IF) plus he extrapolates based on limited science. He also generally makes ridiculous claims like CICO is flawed based on comparing donuts to fish and veggies. Its unrealistic and no one eats in that manor.

And while its been awhile since i read his stuff, he comes off as the typically doctor trying to play scientist. His strategy can work for some but its often not for the reasons he suggest.

Ultimately, energy balance will drive weight loss. Just because one is keto and/or following IF doesn't mean they will lose fat. You can still gain fat following those strategies. Insulin and carbs arent the devil and in fact the healthiest nations in the world are largely plant based carbs.

Personally, i would never follow a MD for nutrition advice, just like I wouldn't go to a dermatologist for a heart problem. They do not have degrees in biochemistry or nutritional science and often pitch wild hypothesis with provide data to support ir cherry picking data to support. I rather follow people like Brad Schoenfeld Phd, Bret Contraras PhD, Layne Norton PhD, James Kreiger PhD, Eric Helms PhD, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald.... All of these guys are trained in the field and often have competed in bodybuilding or powerlifting.
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    helped me enormously
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you all follow keto with IF, or pretty much count calories?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!