Increasing calories helped--thanks!

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are experiencing troubles but are afraid to post because they see how others are treated and are not believed.

I think when people post woo and fads they cloud the water and make others confused; they feed into the multimillion dollar health & fitness industry by promoting tabloid style extrapolations that are not firmly grounded in actual science; they take everyone to the lowest common denominator of celebrity endorsed derpitude and reality TV. They make people yo-yo and fail,

When other people confirm that it really isn't that complicated, that majoring in the minors or believing the latest B-list celeb sponsored nonsense is detrimental they do us all an amazing service

The core science behind weight loss is simple, there are many interesting theories and many have infinitesimal impacts on overall weight loss, but that's where some like to live

That derp and misunderstanding kept me fat and unhealthy and wishing for 3 decades

CICO focus make me slim and fit in under a year and has kept me here for almost 2

I know who I'm most grateful to and it isn't those who spread incorrect unfounded information around

Funny how the same thing happened to me with people pounding how simple it is to lose weight on 1200 calories, but that doesn't work for everyone. You do you. YAHOO.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I think a lot of people are experiencing troubles but are afraid to post because they see how others are treated and are not believed.

People are hesitant to post because they see the smack downs and the "gotchas" in every thread.

A lot of snark and insulting tone. Yea, that means smartass. A lot more "that's utter nonsense" than "here is more information about what you need to know." It;s so *kitten* tiresome.

I know. I've almost quit MFP discussion forums several times. But I get so much help from insightful, thoughtful, supportive people on MFP that I'm sticking around.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I gave information- information is abundant on the boards and in the "most helpful threads" section. There are some wonderful people who have shared great studies and extensive scientific / mathematical explanations that are easily available.

How awful to paint others who disagree with you as unsupportive, terrible people. I am cheering for everyone, as are most people on the boards.

Unfortunately, this thread has derailed to insults, angry jabs, and posts with little actual info, so I don't believe any benefit is going to be had by more discussion.

I really do wish everyone success.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    kimotwo2 wrote: »
    Hello OP! It sounds like we've been having similar issues.
    I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago and then over the course of a year I gained most of that back when I fell into a period of major depression. But a little over a month ago I decided to start losing weight again.
    The first 2 weeks I lost about 10 pounds. The next week I lost about 2 more. It was about this time that I started really counting calories and exercising 5 times a week. Before then I had just been eating healthier(I was probably eating around 1700 or so a day) and exercising 3 times a week.
    So 2 weeks ago I began counting calories (I have a food scale and I am great about measuring) and eating around 1400 calories a day. I also upped my workouts to 5 times a week,burning between 500 to 600 calories per workout. Now according to CICO I should have been losing a good amount the past 2 weeks yes?
    But I haven't lost a single pound, not for 2 weeks. Someone who weighs as much as I do (260) shouldn't be hitting a plateau so early on. I even bought a new scale because I was convinced my scale was broken. I have been flabbergasted trying to figure it out.
    I've been searching around on here and on other open forums out there and it seems like this is actually a common problem. Now I'm not an expert and I don't know exactkt why this happens. But it seems like if you work out too much and also diet extensively, it is possible to not lose any weight.
    But now that I think about it, when I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago, I started out only exercising once or twice a week and very gradually increased to 5 times a week exercising and I never experienced this issue then. I'm going to try something similar to what the OP did and I'm going to increase my calories to 1500 and decrease my workouts to 3 times a week for a while. And I'm confident that will restart my weight loss.
    Yes I know it makes no sense, but I'm sure some one smarter than me and all the smart *kitten* on this thread could probably explain this phenomenon. There's more to weight loss than CICO.

(Edit: I should also mention that I have not been eating back my exercise calories, truly just eating 1400 a day)

If you've read as much as you've said you've read, then you wouldn't be resorting to name calling.

You'd also realize CICO encompasses what you're experiencing.

Everyone who claims that CICO doesn't work doesn't understand what CICO means.

I don't think they're claiming it doesn't work, rather other things can also impact weight loss other than how much you eat and how much you move. You're almost insulting the complexity of your body if you think it works like a standard calculator 24/7 365 days a year. If think about it, when reading food labels it doesn't actually tell you at which rate the food is being burnt, which foods are more efficient in which bodies nor does it account for every individuals genetic make up and health level, so on and so forth. That being said generally it works until accurate calculated potential results are not met. Then you question things and start picking it apart. I have my own personal approach to CICO but yes generally it does work.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think there should be a sticky explaining how/why 'plateaus' occur, it would stop a ton of these threads being created every day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think there should be a sticky explaining how/why 'plateaus' occur, it would stop a ton of these threads being created every day.

In the stickies is this https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10155495/just-another-plateau-and-weigh-in-thread/p1

Nobody reads them though, everybody wants a direct answer to their personal problem

I think that's normal TBH
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    kimotwo2 wrote: »
    Hello OP! It sounds like we've been having similar issues.
    I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago and then over the course of a year I gained most of that back when I fell into a period of major depression. But a little over a month ago I decided to start losing weight again.
    The first 2 weeks I lost about 10 pounds. The next week I lost about 2 more. It was about this time that I started really counting calories and exercising 5 times a week. Before then I had just been eating healthier(I was probably eating around 1700 or so a day) and exercising 3 times a week.
    So 2 weeks ago I began counting calories (I have a food scale and I am great about measuring) and eating around 1400 calories a day. I also upped my workouts to 5 times a week,burning between 500 to 600 calories per workout. Now according to CICO I should have been losing a good amount the past 2 weeks yes?
    But I haven't lost a single pound, not for 2 weeks. Someone who weighs as much as I do (260) shouldn't be hitting a plateau so early on. I even bought a new scale because I was convinced my scale was broken. I have been flabbergasted trying to figure it out.
    I've been searching around on here and on other open forums out there and it seems like this is actually a common problem. Now I'm not an expert and I don't know exactkt why this happens. But it seems like if you work out too much and also diet extensively, it is possible to not lose any weight.
    But now that I think about it, when I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago, I started out only exercising once or twice a week and very gradually increased to 5 times a week exercising and I never experienced this issue then. I'm going to try something similar to what the OP did and I'm going to increase my calories to 1500 and decrease my workouts to 3 times a week for a while. And I'm confident that will restart my weight loss.
    Yes I know it makes no sense, but I'm sure some one smarter than me and all the smart *kitten* on this thread could probably explain this phenomenon. There's more to weight loss than CICO.

(Edit: I should also mention that I have not been eating back my exercise calories, truly just eating 1400 a day)

If you've read as much as you've said you've read, then you wouldn't be resorting to name calling.

You'd also realize CICO encompasses what you're experiencing.

Everyone who claims that CICO doesn't work doesn't understand what CICO means.

I don't think they're claiming it doesn't work, rather other things can also impact weight loss other than how much you eat and how much you move. You're almost insulting the complexity of your body if you think it works like a standard calculator 24/7 365 days a year. If think about it, when reading food labels it doesn't actually tell you at which rate the food is being burnt, which foods are more efficient in which bodies nor does it account for every individuals genetic make up and health level, so on and so forth. That being said generally it works until accurate calculated potential results are not met. Then you question things and start picking it apart. I have my own personal approach to CICO but yes generally it does work.

That's just it. CICO is NOT just saying calories in, calories out. It encompasses all of those factors people keep saying it doesn't account for.

The acronym, itself, says that, but scientists, when they discuss CICO do indeed factor those things in and acknowledge them.

All of those things you mentioned fall under either calories in or calories out.

I'm sure they do when they're in the lab but in real time things don't always relay *exactly how they should *all the time in practice. There's still a grey area IMO. Something so general can never be tailor made to every human on the planet. At least not 365 days a year. I know every human has the same heart, lungs, eyes etc but there's still nuances between us.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I think when people post woo and fads they cloud the water and make others confused; they feed into the multimillion dollar health & fitness industry by promoting tabloid style extrapolations that are not firmly grounded in actual science; they take everyone to the lowest common denominator of celebrity endorsed derpitude and reality TV. They make people yo-yo and fail,

When other people confirm that it really isn't that complicated, that majoring in the minors or believing the latest B-list celeb sponsored nonsense is detrimental they do us all an amazing service

The core science behind weight loss is simple, there are many interesting theories and many have infinitesimal impacts on overall weight loss, but that's where some like to live

That derp and misunderstanding kept me fat and unhealthy and wishing for 3 decades

CICO focus make me slim and fit in under a year and has kept me here for almost 2

I know who I'm most grateful to and it isn't those who spread incorrect unfounded information around

Funny how the same thing happened to me with people pounding how simple it is to lose weight on 1200 calories, but that doesn't work for everyone. You do you. YAHOO.

Yep 1200 calories is part of the derp spread around

It is not CICO nor what I have ever seen advised ubiquitously by regular MFP posters

I will ignore the insult I could have inferred by your final words and assume it was not intentional ...that's the best way to play all the boards...read everything in a muppet voice and it takes the sting out of it ..this, after all, is the internet

Sorry. I'm annoyed. I don't think that you are snarky. I get fed up with having people argue that my experience is not true.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

That you believe you somehow defy the laws of CICO does not automatically make it true, though.

This.

Every time I gained on 1300 calories, or I gained weight while eating "healthy" and exercising, or I stalled at 1200 calories, I blamed my gosh darned metabolism. Well, after getting that good old fashioned food scale, weighing all my food, and logging everything, I was shocked to see I was eating way more than I realized.

Bottom line, we don't get to defy the laws of CICO. If we do, we have a serious medical issue that needs attention and, personally, I don't want to find out something is wrong with me that makes me lose weight when I am eating too much.
  • DebSozo
    Options

It is not CICO nor what I have ever seen advised ubiquitously by regular MFP posters

I will ignore the insult I could have inferred by your final words and assume it was not intentional ...that's the best way to play all the boards...read everything in a muppet voice and it takes the sting out of it ..this, after all, is the internet

Sue, if you quote me and then post directly under the quote then I'm going to take it personally.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Sorry. I'm annoyed. I don't think that you are snarky. I get fed up with having people argue that my experience is not true.

Sue, if you quote me and then post directly under the quote then I'm going to take it personally.

Are you a little torn about how you feel about me

:)
  • DebSozo
    Options

Are you a little torn about how you feel about me

:)

Perhaps
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I think YOU guys are missing the point! You can't see the forest for the trees.

In NO way did the OP suggest that she defied the laws of thermodynamics. She did not say that eating more calories directly made her body lose fat and that it never would have done so if she'd stuck to lower calories. She simply stated that increasing her calories from 1100 up to 1600 RESULTED in her feeling better, having more energy, and losing 8 lbs over 2 months. There is no WHY implicated there. It can be an indirect result. It could be that her body is less stressed which equals lowered cortisol, which equals the body not hanging on to water weight. It could mean she is moving more, and as such she is burning more. She did not imply she is a special snowflake, but simply that she tried a suggestion and got the desired effect, which btw, is likely much healthier, and definitely easier and more comfortable for her. She did NOT state or imply that she would never have lost any weight if she had kept up with the 1100 calorie regimen. She very likely would have (unless her CO really was too low then), but who cares? She feels better this way, is healthier, and is still seeing the scale move.

You guys snub your nose at any suggestion to increase calories, and don't actually LISTEN to the main idea here. Go back and re-read. No, not everyone here is a physicist or biochemist, but I daresay that people do know their bodies to some extent, and you flatly denying that their experience happened is basically calling them liars, or at the least, saying they're extremely ignorant. This is not constructive, but instead insulting, and not inviting in any way. Get over yourselves.

Exactly. Spot on.