Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    they're just jealous because their arms still wobble or look like toothpicks. Do you :smile:

maybe it just isn't a look that they like personally. not everyone with a silly/divergent opinion is inventing it just to stop you from getting to where you're headed. sometimes they just have different opinions and they're flapping their gums about it.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

You scoundrel! :D

i know, it was wicked, wasn't it :smiley: . but it made both of them so happy because it made her so proud and encouraged, and he was basically happy about anything that made her happy. so it was all-around win, and i was just happy to be part of it.

mind you, the last time i saw them i was the one who'd been doing the lifting and i don't think they were fully impressed when i offered to bench-press their newborn for them :tongue:
    I like how my arms look when I flex them, and every so often my guy will comment on how "big your arm muscle have gotten." I love it, it makes me feel good....

i partly got into lifting because of a male friend of mine. not that i did it for his opinion, but he was one of those big naturally strong guys, so he'd spent his whole life feeling like the world had decided being strong and having muscles was his job and nobody else had to bother, you know? meanwhile i'd never gotten that memo so it was just so nice to have a completely non-macho male friend who thought it was awesome that i'd just expect to do my share of anything physical, just like he did. i didn't even have muscles then, but you couldn't have told him that.

i'll never see him again, and my head knows that. but i think for the first year of lifting i'd keep going because in my mind i was still getting to tell him 'hey, guess what i'm doing!' and telling him. he would have got such an incredible bang out of it.

#end derail. sorry. just wanted to say, honestly - not everyone thinks a strong woman is deformed in some way.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Look at the bight side: if you actually have discovered how to get big arms, EVERY guy on earth is going to be knocking on your door begging you to tell him your secret!

Very true. Trust me OP it's not as easy as you think. It's probably just people getting to you. Even young guys like myself who are full of testosterone take up to 6 months to see a difference in their arms. If it's your arms that concern you, why not start a full body program like starting strength or strong curves?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    kanaada wrote: »
    A lot of my friends and family are commenting on how toned and "bigger" my arms looks like now and I'm feeling really discouraged because they said it in a manner that is telling me to stop lifting weights cos it's starting to look bad! What should I do now??? Should I just cardio and lose the fats on my arms or should I continue lifting?? It's so hard for me to lose weight too help

Wait I'm confused, having bigger toned arms is a BAD THING????
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you want skinny flabby spaghetti arms, stop lifting. Simple. If not, keep lifting and keep your eyes on your own goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    A lot of my friends and family are commenting on how toned and "bigger" my arms looks like now and I'm feeling really discouraged because they said it in a manner that is telling me to stop lifting weights cos it's starting to look bad! What should I do now??? Should I just cardio and lose the fats on my arms or should I continue lifting?? It's so hard for me to lose weight too help

For women and their personal ideals it can be

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a completely different world :)
  • jayjay5549
    jayjay5549 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wow just wow I cant post im at work but wow
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options
    Just saying. If you want to get bulky, you can do that, but it takes a lot of work. You're not going to get there by accident
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options
    jayjay5549 wrote: »
    Hello I am a army vet that cant exercise anymore because of injuries my goal is to lose 100lbs. any good ideas.

Diet. Diet. Diet. You can't out exercise enough to offset a bad diet. Just make sure you're at a slight caloric deficit every day and you'll lose weight. Time takes care of the rest. I lost 105 pounds. It took a year.

• jayjay5549
    jayjay5549 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thank you april
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 of lifting is make goals for yourself.

Rule #2 Don't let others, decide what you want.

Rule #3 Reassess when goals are complete what your new goals are.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I agree personally, but different people have different body preferences/goals. Regardless, the fact remains that one doesn't get huge muscles "accidentally", nor in the short term.

With people who are successfully losing weight, I suspect it's much more often the case that the reduction in bodyfat has created some muscular definition that wasn't visible before and they interpret it as "Omgzzzz, I'm getting HYOOGE!". The muscles aren't really "bigger" or "bulkier", they're just more defined. If one takes measurements from time to time, it's real easy to tell whether it's actual growth or not.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Resistance training also has so many other benefits besides aesthetics. It will increase bone mineral density, prevent osteoporosis and so many other diseases, give you a sense of well-being, make everything you do easier such as carrying groceries to interacting with friends and family at social events, give you energy, relax you, etc...

Sometimes people think they want one thing, but they really want something else.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I agree personally, but different people have different body preferences/goals. Regardless, the fact remains that one doesn't get huge muscles "accidentally", nor in the short term.

With people who are successfully losing weight, I suspect it's much more often the case that the reduction in bodyfat has created some muscular definition that wasn't visible before and they interpret it as "Omgzzzz, I'm getting HYOOGE!". The muscles aren't really "bigger" or "bulkier", they're just more defined. If one takes measurements from time to time, it's real easy to tell whether it's actual growth or not.

While I agree its more likely muscular definition rather than size, it doesn't change the fact that OP (or at least OP's family) perceive it as bulk. "Bulky" isn't exactly a scientific term and in some circles and cultures, the slightest amount of visible muscle is considered outside the norm. My family was similar. In their Asian culture, you're expected to be a willowy thing with dainty everything. Put on a little muscle and people freak out and stage an intervention to stop you from becoming a bodybuilder.

OP, you'll have to decide what your own values and preferences are. People generally have preconceived notions about who you are and what you should look like. Just let them flap their gums and be on your way.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

While I agree its more likely muscular definition rather than size, it doesn't change the fact that OP (or at least OP's family) perceive it as bulk. "Bulky" isn't exactly a scientific term and in some circles and cultures, the slightest amount of visible muscle is considered outside the norm. My family was similar. In their Asian culture, you're expected to be a willowy thing with dainty everything. Put on a little muscle and people freak out and stage an intervention to stop you from becoming a bodybuilder.

OP, you'll have to decide what your own values and preferences are. People generally have preconceived notions about who you are and what you should look like. Just let them flap their gums and be on your way.

What Lemmie177 said was my first thought. If OP comes from an Asian background, in Asia there is a lot of push against woman having muscles. Now before anyone yells at me I am currently in my 5th year of living here (4 years in China and now 1 year in a SE asian country). I have watched women here train and seen the "ideal" bodies. Especially in China I was the ONLY woman in the free weights. Other than the occasional woman there taking selfies or hanging out with her guy. It took weeks for the men to stop looking at me with suspicion about my place there. And believe me when I say it was suspicion, there were some who would come and peek in if they heard any noise from the weights b/c I obviously must have hurt myself.

OP, if this is your background, as others have said you won't become Arnie looking from lifting weights. It will help give your body nice shape. Remember that it is YOUR body, and you are the one who has to live with it. And thank them for respecting that.

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Honestly @kanaada a lot of your posts here suggest you have an unhealthy relationship with food and body image. I'm not saying this to call you out, but it seems like every week you're posting about things like bingeing and crash dieting. People on here have given some good advice, but it seems like you need a little more than some reassurance from strangers on the internet. You need to stop fixating on these little things, take a step back and start doing what's best for you both physically and mentally.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options
    Honestly @kanaada a lot of your posts here suggest you have an unhealthy relationship with food and body image. I'm not saying this to call you out, but it seems like every week you're posting about things like bingeing and crash dieting. People on here have given some good advice, but it seems like you need a little more than some reassurance from strangers on the internet. You need to stop fixating on these little things, take a step back and start doing what's best for you both physically and mentally.

I had the same gut feeling about this post.