I'm thinking of adding coconut oil to my diet. Thoughts?

Options
Hi all, I haven't done much research on this yet so don't knock me! If anyone has any experience/information regarding adding organic virgin coconut oil to their diet and getting positive results I'd be glad to hear about it! Does it help with weight loss as long as you're in a calorie deficit? I'm looking at losing 9 more lbs to get to my goal weight and thinking of adding this to my breakfast protein smoothie. My protein intake is usually 100-115g daily and I weigh 144 lbs at 5"9. I keep my carbs under 50g total. :)

Replies

• sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My fat intake is typically from eggs, chicken and fish and ranges from 35-80g per day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you want to add it because you like the taste then go for it..however, it does not speed up weight loss, metabolism, or have any other magical properties...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I imagine it would be useful if you required more fat in your diet and wanted to do that by adding a supplement to your meals that was high fat. Or if you liked the taste and wanted to fit it into your caloric goals. Other than those though not sure why you'd actively try to add it to your diet.
  • allie644
    allie644 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's a good, healthy source of fat, but it is still fat. It has been shown in some studies to improve fat oxidation, but I would integrate it in my daily fat intake instead of taking it for any sort of extra fat burning benefits.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As has been said, it has no weight loss -inducing properties.

That being said, I find it handy because it's easy to stick the jar on a scale and use a fork to scrape out 7 grams each morning to make eggs.
  • sh512266
    Options
    Ok gotcha, I use olive oil typically to fry eggs or shrimp. I'm doing LCHF, just thinking I could use more healthy fat!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil, but it's high in calories and I don't have a lot to spare. I've been using avocado oil lately. It has a high smoking point and fewer calories than coconut or olive oil.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil, but it's high in calories and I don't have a lot to spare. I've been using avocado oil lately. It has a high smoking point and fewer calories than coconut or olive oil.

Aren't all oils/fat 9 calories per gram? How can avocado oil have less calories than other oils?
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil in my coffee, along with grass fed organic butter
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    (144-9)*.35 ~ 48g fat per day would be a reasonable fat minimum for your goal weight, so if it is a 35g day, you might want to look for ways to get some more fat for the day. I'd rather add nuts, cheese, avocado or a fat bomb to boost my fat than to just add oil to something (of any type), but it really boils down to what you like best for the calories you have to work with.

ETA: if that's you in the pic, you look great!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If looking for more fats, coconut oil is a great heakthy source. This is especially true if you are looking for the health benefits of ketones because MCTs are turned to ketones very quickly.

I don't know if it helps with weight loss at all but it is very good for you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's(obviously )high in fat - saturated fat apparently. I don't know about health claims regarding consuming it,though I find it good for my dry skin. I'm trying to gain weight and use it in a very high calorie banana bread. Not sure if it helps with weight loss
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Variety is always great, so go for it. A piece of advice: start with one serving a day,and work your way up. Otherwise it may act as a natural laxative. :o
  • sh512266
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    (144-9)*.35 ~ 48g fat per day would be a reasonable fat minimum for your goal weight, so if it is a 35g day, you might want to look for ways to get some more fat for the day. I'd rather add nuts, cheese, avocado or a fat bomb to boost my fat than to just add oil to something (of any type), but it really boils down to what you like best for the calories you have to work with.

ETA: if that's you in the pic, you look great!

Thanks for the info! It is me in the picture - so thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure it was one of those foods that people think is healthy but nutritionists don't agree with.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm quite sure it was one of those foods that people think is healthy but nutritionists don't agree with.
    When I log it in my dairy I get a red warning about saturated fat!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

It doesn't have lower calories.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil does wonders for your skin; I use it as a moisturizer. I ate it for a while...no benefits whatsoever