I'm thinking of adding coconut oil to my diet. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like it in some recipes, but that is because the flavor fits a little better. Sometimes like it more for a stir fry or with curry a little more than other oils, but that is just being really picky, other oils still work well.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help with weight loss and the one time I put it in my skin I got huge boils.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    sh512266 wrote: »
    Hi all, I haven't done much research on this yet so don't knock me! If anyone has any experience/information regarding adding organic virgin coconut oil to their diet and getting positive results I'd be glad to hear about it! Does it help with weight loss as long as you're in a calorie deficit? I'm looking at losing 9 more lbs to get to my goal weight and thinking of adding this to my breakfast protein smoothie. My protein intake is usually 100-115g daily and I weigh 144 lbs at 5"9. I keep my carbs under 50g total. :)

Won't do a thing...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I love coconut oil, but it's high in calories and I don't have a lot to spare. I've been using avocado oil lately. It has a high smoking point and fewer calories than coconut or olive oil.

It doesn't have lower calories.

I swore it did. I must be the worst label reader ever, or wasn't paying attention to the units properly on the label. I stand corrected.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In other news, I will be using coconut oil tonight. :) I do still love avocado oil because it has a high smoking point, unlike olive oil.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nutritionist here! :)

There is very strong scientific evidence that healthy fats:

Cardiovascular protection (though there is less evidence for protecting against heart failure)
    Improve body composition
    Alleviate depression

Average evidence that they:

Prevent cancers
    Preserve memory
    Preserve eye health
    Reduce incidence of aggressive behaviour
    Reduce ADHD and ADD symptoms

Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids which do offer health benefits. It also has a long shelf life.

As long as you are getting a good balance of saturated,(which coconut oil is, but remember, also unique because of the medium chain fatty acids) mono-saturated and poly-saturated fats, you will be fine.

Portion control is key!

How does dietary fat improve body composition?

OP, if you are having a low carb diet, then dietary fat generally is increased. IIRC, coconut oils/drinks are high in electrolytes which are beneficial.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Cardiovascular protection (though there is less evidence for protecting against heart failure)
    Improve body composition
    Alleviate depression

Prevent cancers
    Preserve memory
    Preserve eye health

Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids which do offer health benefits. It also has a long shelf life.

As long as you are getting a good balance of saturated,(which coconut oil is, but remember, also unique because of the medium chain fatty acids) mono-saturated and poly-saturated fats, you will be fine.

Portion control is key!

do you have any source material that coconut oil increase body comp? Are you saying if I just eat coconut oil and do nothing else I will improve my body composition?

Also, curious as to literature on it reducing ADD and AHDD and how it prevents cancers....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Improve body composition
    Alleviate depression

Prevent cancers
    Preserve memory
    Preserve eye health

Portion control is key!

Those are some bold claims...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent piece on coconut oil from the NYT's Ask Well blog:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/

"...despite “a lot of hype about it,” said Dr. Alice H. Lichtenstein, a Tufts University professor of nutrition science and policy who is vice chair of the federal government's dietary guidelines advisory committee, “there’s virtually no data to support the hype.”... There is little research on the health effects in people of coconut oil, Dr. Lichtenstein said, but “there appears to be no independent benefit of consuming it.”

That said, there are different kinds of coconut oil, and virgin coconut oil, which is gently processed, may not have the same harmful effects as highly processed oils, even though the fatty acid composition is similar, said Dr. Tom Brenna, a professor of human nutrition at Cornell University. Refined, bleached and deodorized, or R.B.D., coconut oil, which has been treated with solvents and subjected to intense heat, raises cholesterol so reliably that scientists have used it as a control when running experiments on different fats. The harsh processing may destroy some of the good essential fatty acids and antioxidants, such as lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid believed to raise good H.D.L. cholesterol.

'If you’re going to use coconut oil, make sure you get virgin oil,' Dr. Brenna said. 'And, of course, everything in moderation.'"

And an earlier article in the NYT, with recipes, is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all

I personally think it's fine and use it as an alternative to olive oil or butter (based on the flavor I want, although I mostly use olive oil), but it's ridiculously faddish right now and the claims that it causes weight loss or has major health benefits are part of that, and not supported. I think there's a certain desire to think that eating some special food (coconut oil, kale, flax seed, chia, ACV, even blueberries) will have a magical effect, and maybe in some cases it will end up having a placebo effect so that people think they feel amazing from including it in their diets. But if that sort of thing isn't overly annoying to you, most of the foods are perfectly healthful additions to a diet, although their calories count like any others.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I only read your headline. Me personally i love it. I dont use oil often usually maybe a tbsp a day and thats cooking for the whole family i probably eat about a tsp a day myself. It has a high smoke point and subtle flavor and doesnt leave me feeling heavy when i do rarely fry something.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I find the flavour a bit overpowering but interesting about the high smoke point - I hadn't known that.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I use it. I dunno about weight but it does add more coconut flavor to my life. Eating broccoli becomes a trip to the tropics.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I love coconut oil, but it's high in calories and I don't have a lot to spare. I've been using avocado oil lately. It has a high smoking point and fewer calories than coconut or olive oil.

It doesn't have lower calories.

I swore it did. I must be the worst label reader ever, or wasn't paying attention to the units properly on the label. I stand corrected.

If you want a lower calorie fat, use butter (it has some moisture so it's not all fat). Not the best smoke point though.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I find the flavour a bit overpowering but interesting about the high smoke point - I hadn't known that.

It doesn't have a high smoke point.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

Coconut oil-350. EVOO-325-375.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It doesn't have a high smoke point.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

Coconut oil-350. EVOO-325-375.

Oh! :smiley:

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

aw1j1vu91623.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Ah, it must be refined coconut oil that people are referring to in claiming it has a high smoke point. I was wondering why people thought that. The problem is that the alleged health benefits (and taste benefits) are all from unrefined (or virgin coconut oil), and that refined is probably not good for you and often contains trans fats.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/refined-vs-unrefined-coconut-oil-2296.html

And also the article I linked above: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Ghee looks pretty good from that chart. I actually love cooking with butter but haven't tried Ghee. ...Hmmmm