MFP Stop predicting my weight

Options
13»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I find it humorous. Or, I did, back when I was tracking.

I found it to be funny also. It was funny in a sobering, shocking kind of way. It kept me on track, so I liked it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I never complete my diary, it's a pointless feature to me and it wasn't/isn't motivational as my daily intake varies a lot so some days it would tell me i'll gain a bunch and others lose more than I ever actually will.

Unless you find it motivational I don't really see the purpose of completing your day as it were, it serves no other purpose than to give that prediction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Like Machka I found that MFP underestimated losses at first, because I had mistakenly put myself in as sedentary and was not, probably. Later I used TDEE and stopped logging exercise (or logged 1 calorie), and so it told me I'd not lose or even gain when I was perfectly on track and losing 1-2 lbs/week, which was sort of annoying. I knew it was irrational to find it annoying, but since I did I stopped closing.
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It has been pretty close to on point for me. I eat similarly daily. weigh food if I eat more or exercise more than common math dictates the difference. I use the projection as a guideline(guestimation) to see if I push within a given range.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Believe me, it IS boring eating the same things ay in and day out. I prepare my weekly meals on Sunday and spread the food out over the week because I don't really like to cook that much.

I use a different food diary now, but I recall being amused every time I hit that button at the end of the day.....

OP, congrats on your 26 pound loss. I suggest you pay no attention to that silly part of the MFP food app program. Focus on what you can change and not that which is beyond your control. :) [/quote]

Funny you should say this, have you heard of bore yourself thin? I read an article at the hairdressers the other day in one of those trashy magazines. Headed up bore yourself thin. It claimed that all celebs do this. Stated that Kim K does it everyday on kuwtk by ordering the same salad at the gym for the past however many series and that Jenifer Aniston had the same salad for 10 years on the set of friends. Apparently you bored your taste buds and end up never finishing a meal or craving anything different. Never watched kuwtk so don't know whether it's true.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    Believe me, it IS boring eating the same things ay in and day out. I prepare my weekly meals on Sunday and spread the food out over the week because I don't really like to cook that much.

I use a different food diary now, but I recall being amused every time I hit that button at the end of the day.....

OP, congrats on your 26 pound loss. I suggest you pay no attention to that silly part of the MFP food app program. Focus on what you can change and not that which is beyond your control. :)

Funny you should say this, have you heard of bore yourself thin? I read an article at the hairdressers the other day in one of those trashy magazines. Headed up bore yourself thin. It claimed that all celebs do this. Stated that Kim K does it everyday on kuwtk by ordering the same salad at the gym for the past however many series and that Jenifer Aniston had the same salad for 10 years on the set of friends. Apparently you bored your taste buds and end up never finishing a meal or craving anything different. Never watched kuwtk so don't know whether it's true. [/quote]

That sounds like hell!!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I like the prediction, it inspires me.. i write it on my calendar & when 5 weeks are here, i compare. I eat the same type of things most days. It's only a little bit off
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Lol...it says "if everyday were like today"...it's based on a very simple algorithm and assumes everything will be exactly the same every single day...obviously not everything is going to be exactly the same every day...I can't believe this actually bothers people...there's actual important *kitten* to worry about.

The math is simple...but it's impossible for every day to be like today...and it assumes 100% accuracy on CI and CO...obviously also not very realistic...stop getting bent over something that is basically a gimmick...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, this is like shaking a Magic Eight Ball and getting so upset that it's prediction wasn't accurate that you start ranting about how it ruined your life on the internet.

It's a gimmicky equation on a free app. It's like the FB quizes that say your relationship will last based on how you answered 5 multiple choice questions. Don't give inanimate objects so much power over your state of mind!

Having said that, you really shouldn't be "well under" 1200 calories regularly. Possibly it's okay to be a little under (depending on your stats) but well under is worrying. Hopefully you are, but just in case - Please take care of yourself!

Oh, this is totally like my favorite post on the matter....

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I complete my diary for *kitten* and giggles just to look and see the stupid prediction. It's amusing. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It is BS and they are irresponsible for doing it. Everyone is different. I understand the under calorie warning, but the lie about your weight projection is just as bad. It's depressing and defeatingly frustrating.

Wow. Chill. You don't have to press the 'complete your diary' button.
    And, it's not a lie. It's based on a mathematical equation. The only flaw with this is that it does not take into account that weight loss isn't linear. Also, use a food scale for all solid and semi solid food for more accuracy.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like it because days I over eat it slaps me in the face and I try harder the next day. It's opening to see my weight progress backslide
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Life is too short to be mad at bad math.

Unless the bad math is on your tax return. And not in your favor.

Then be mad.

Happened to me this year. Previous employer underpaid my tax. Ironically, my previous employer was the government. Asshats. Not happy at all.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you extrapolate an inaccurate estimate. The results are unpredictable(think I read part of that somewhere