How to deal with judgement?

Options
I lost 50lbs over the past year and most people have been supportive and happy for me but there is someone in my family who still asks if I'm still dieting and exercising, especially on my cheat days like he'll see me eating something bad and ask. This person is skinny and eats whatever they want so it just feels hypocritical. Like I'll never be good enough no matter how much weight I lose because I still look fat currently. I'm doing this for myself but now it feels like I'm doing it for this person's approval because it's like he's keeping tabs.

Replies

• Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    marykt2016 wrote: »
    This is one of the worst parts of losing weight, I think. It isn't something you can do privately...At some point, people will notice and start kind of inserting themselves into your process.
    What has helped me most through my past few months, for my life in general, is telling myself as often as I can that the only person I'm doing this for is ME. And no else can tell me what to do with my body. Personally, I plan for Starbucks or a soda here and there because I know I can't just cut it out or I'll be miserable; that's MY choice.

You do you, boo. It's hard when others feel like they have a say in your journey. Find support and love. Congratulations on your loss! Keep reminding yourself that it's all for you <3

Yes exactly! I can't cut it all out or else I'd be miserable too. I need to eat sweets once in a while. I know what I'm doing in regards to my eating habits, it's like that person thinks I don't which is silly. Thanks for your advice.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that this person honestly cares/is interested about your progress and isn't even noticing you are eating "bad" food?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    Is it possible that this person honestly cares/is interested about your progress and isn't even noticing you are eating "bad" food?

This. Does asking a question automatically equal criticism or judgement?
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just *kitten* about it to my husband then move on. My mom constantly brings up my weight and weightloss. While it tends to be mostly good I get highly irritated by it due to our history especially concerning weight. But it's better to just deal with it and move on unless it's really hostile or rude. Then I just tell them their opinion is unnecessary and they can feel free to not say anything next time.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I lost 50lbs over the past year and most people have been supportive and happy for me but there is someone in my family who still asks if I'm still dieting and exercising, especially on my cheat days like he'll see me eating something bad and ask. This person is skinny and eats whatever they want so it just feels hypocritical. Like I'll never be good enough no matter how much weight I lose because I still look fat currently. I'm doing this for myself but now it feels like I'm doing it for this person's approval because it's like he's keeping tabs.

Sorry you are totally projecting and getting mad about what you think someone meant or what you think he thinks. Basically:
    Him:Are you still dieting?
    You : How dare he question me on a cheat day (even though he can't know that). He must think I'll never be as good as him no matter how much I lose. He's keeping tabs on me!
    See how pointless this is? It's all in your head. Life's too short to try and guess what other people are thinking. You can't.
  • GMgetsfit
    GMgetsfit Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    WTG with your loss so far, there will always be people who come across as mean spirited, weather they mean to or not. Just remember they are not perfect, so they may not realize how their comments make you feel unless you tell them. Tell them in a way that you would want to told if you stepped over the line.

I just say "I got this" and if needed because they go on with their unwanted comments I say it 2 more time, slower and in a lower tone.
    Try it first time with a smile. after that put on your serious face and look them in the eye. 99% effective.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Yes, I had to re read the OP a few times. Is he being a jerk about it? Putting the OP down? Smacking food out of her hands? Did she talk about dieting a lot while doing it, so it's a normal conversation now, rather then 'keeping tabs'?

And for someone who is quite sensitive about her own body, she is pretty quick to be dismissive of his. You never know what is happening that a person keeps secrete- a friend of mine can eat whatever she wants and stays rail thing- because she has issues with her stomach/guts processing foods- you couldn't tell from her every day behavior that she is ill.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

Yes, I had to re read the OP a few times. Is he being a jerk about it? Putting the OP down? Smacking food out of her hands? Did she talk about dieting a lot while doing it, so it's a normal conversation now, rather then 'keeping tabs'?

And for someone who is quite sensitive about her own body, she is pretty quick to be dismissive of his. You never know what is happening that a person keeps secrete- a friend of mine can eat whatever she wants and stays rail thing- because she has issues with her stomach/guts processing foods- you couldn't tell from her every day behavior that she is ill.

Exactly.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    There are some people who will ask about your "diet" no matter how many times you tell them this is a lifestyle change, not a diet and as long as it fits into your calories you are fine.
    You shouldn't have to justify to anyone but just know you are doing a great job and 50 lbs is a phenomenal amount of weight!
    Family member is probably jealous or they just don't have enough of anything going on in their own life to make them happy.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about it, and if someone brings it up, tell them to MYOB and eff off.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    marykt2016 wrote: »
    This is one of the worst parts of losing weight, I think. It isn't something you can do privately...At some point, people will notice and start kind of inserting themselves into your process.
    What has helped me most through my past few months, for my life in general, is telling myself as often as I can that the only person I'm doing this for is ME. And no else can tell me what to do with my body. Personally, I plan for Starbucks or a soda here and there because I know I can't just cut it out or I'll be miserable; that's MY choice.

You do you, boo. It's hard when others feel like they have a say in your journey. Find support and love. Congratulations on your loss! Keep reminding yourself that it's all for you <3

^^^ the bolded times 1,000
    mostly i think people are well meaning, but it's hard for anyone to be 100% empathetic to the process and to know what to say all the time. and a lot of us are really sensitive about our weights still (maybe always) so it's easy to mis-step around us.

my mom pulls the "are you still on a diet" every single time i put something in my mouth around her. or even if she sees a cookie in my house she'll grill me about it. another friend, while lamenting about how no matter what she does she can't lose weight, told me that with everything i do i should be losing a lot faster. that one flabbergasted me for a minute, maybe longer because she repeated it several times even as i explained to her that i was losing at the rate i planned.

there are those that will say things that are deliberately demeaning and hurtful, and mfp always has threads about friends who ditched people once they lost weight. imho, these are the people who aren't even thinking about you or your process, they are the ones that are only thinking of themselves in relation to you. they used to have something they felt superior about, and as they lose that edge they tend to lash out or distance themselves. when people show you who they are, believe them. losing them will make you feel lighter just like losing the weight does.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "I haven't wanted to bore you with the details, but I factored in for treating myself to [whatever it is you are eating]. I have the calories allotted for it. Thanks for your support!"

If they are well-meaning, they'll take that on its face. If they are being a jerk, they should get the hint.
  • Wife2MrPerfect
    Wife2MrPerfect Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of feedback coming your way but I wanted to add a perspective. I have been in the scenario that you described and in my case, your right! He was "reminding" me not to eat the food that I chose to it. Clearly I am eating it and know the consequences of doing so. I'm not a moron!
    He was checking me.
    I don't bi*** about how hard it is to stay fit and then hypocritically sit down to gorge myself at dinner. I didn't ask for his input.
    He stays trim and I don't. He hasn't earned the right to understand where I'm coming from.
    I work my a** off everyday and count calories all freaking day- he doesn't. He smugly says, "are you still on a diet?" I say,"why the f*** do you care?" He shuts up.

If he was "just looking out for me" and being kind *cough BS**then he is pansy enough to forgive me for misreading his intentions.
    If he was all up in my business like he wants to be a smart a** then he is smart enough to know he needs to govern himself and not this grown woman.

Do I sound defensive? I am.
    Do his words hurt my pride? Yes.
    Is he right? No.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen many times, I always say the same thing. "I'm not on a diet, this has to be something I can sustain for life. I'm not going to give up (insert food) for the rest of my life, so I make my favourite foods fit into my weight loss and fitness plans"