Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Pills and all that that implies

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    For the record, every type of diet pill is the *kitten* I'm referring too.
  • crewcrews
    crewcrews Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    a1fr7gru30qb.jpg
    Someone up there was talking about their cousin with compulsive eating issues who was given Belviq. That drug, if it works for you, is a lifelong prescription. It didn't work for me. I have binge eating disorder, and my doctor prescribed Vyvanse two months ago.

It is said that "there's no magic pill" for weight loss, which is true— but for me, this has been a magic pill for my eating disorder. Taking this medication I no longer am consumed with thoughts of what food is in the pantry and fridge all day as I'm working my home-based business; I'm not reciting fast food menus in my mind as I drive about town; For the first time in my nearly 50 years, I think I finally understand how a normal person functions in life. I've lost 30 pounds in just over 2 months... (from 237 to 206) and I'm going to a wonderful group fitness gym 5-6 days each week.

So, diet pills? I say no. But medication to treat a legitimate eating disorder, for some folks, like me, that can be a life changer.

Vyvanse is a stimulant- available only by prescription, approved for treatment of Binge Eating Disorder, as well as ADHD. Yeah, turns out I also have ADHD that had never been diagnosed - but my life has completely changed for the better these past two months thanks primarily to this medication. (The doctor did an ekg at my last 2-week visit to ensure it's not negatively affecting my heart.)

So, my opinion... otc diet pills, waste of money, can have ill effects on your overall health. Properly prescribed medication under doctor supervision-- don't count it out!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not sure what's up with all of the "back in the day" and "used to" with ECA stacks. I still run one. In case everyone wasn't aware, the ban was lifted shortly after ot was applied. You can get BronkAid and Primatine at just about any pharmacy in the US (it's kept behind the counter now). You just can't buy more than a few grams at a time, but let's be real, if you hit the 9g monthly limit, you're either trying to kill yourself, or you're making meth.

actually primatine is not sold behind the counters they stopped making it and it was phased out in 2011,they are waiting for FDA approval to be able to start selling it again(reformulation with HFA in it as a propellant). as for bronkaid Im sure its still being sold. but any pharmacy that sells primatine the product will be outdated or possibly bought from another country?

Primatine has always come in pill form as well. I was never referring to the old mist stuff. The pill (which is ephedrine hcl, vs. ephedrine sulphate in BronkAid) is readily available everywhere. Well, everywhere it's not banned anyway.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just say NO to OTC or prescribed diet pills! They ruin your health, mind, and in a short run of time you will gain back any weight you might lose and then some. They should be outlawed. I have never ever known ANYONE who had any long term success with diet pills.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    nchrty wrote: »
    Just say NO to OTC or prescribed diet pills! They ruin your health, mind, and in a short run of time you will gain back any weight you might lose and then some. They should be outlawed. I have never ever known ANYONE who had any long term success with diet pills.

Many a sub-8% bodyfat bodybuilder uses ECA stacks during cuts. What was that again?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Many a sub-8% bodyfat bodybuilder uses ECA stacks during cuts. What was that again?

And the things that sub 8% BF bodybuilders do is oh so representative of the general population.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    crewcrews wrote: »
    a1fr7gru30qb.jpg
    Someone up there was talking about their cousin with compulsive eating issues who was given Belviq. That drug, if it works for you, is a lifelong prescription. It didn't work for me. I have binge eating disorder, and my doctor prescribed Vyvanse two months ago.

It is said that "there's no magic pill" for weight loss, which is true— but for me, this has been a magic pill for my eating disorder. Taking this medication I no longer am consumed with thoughts of what food is in the pantry and fridge all day as I'm working my home-based business; I'm not reciting fast food menus in my mind as I drive about town; For the first time in my nearly 50 years, I think I finally understand how a normal person functions in life. I've lost 30 pounds in just over 2 months... (from 237 to 206) and I'm going to a wonderful group fitness gym 5-6 days each week.

So, diet pills? I say no. But medication to treat a legitimate eating disorder, for some folks, like me, that can be a life changer.

Vyvanse is a stimulant- available only by prescription, approved for treatment of Binge Eating Disorder, as well as ADHD. Yeah, turns out I also have ADHD that had never been diagnosed - but my life has completely changed for the better these past two months thanks primarily to this medication. (The doctor did an ekg at my last 2-week visit to ensure it's not negatively affecting my heart.)

So, my opinion... otc diet pills, waste of money, can have ill effects on your overall health. Properly prescribed medication under doctor supervision-- don't count it out!!

Good point. I thought this when the other poster raised the issue of medication for BED upthread too. I wouldn't consider that a "diet pill" or "weight loss pill," however, but more similar to medication for an anxiety disorder or depression or, as you mention, ADHD.

With "diet pill," I think people mean pills that either kill appetite or else are claimed to cause weight loss (like garcina whatever). IMO, those tend to be scams or do something that really should be achieved by other means (dealing with appetite), and in too many cases have turned out to be harmful.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

And the things that sub 8% BF bodybuilders do is oh so representative of the general population.

I never said that they were. I'm also not the one that implied that none of it ever accomplishes anything. Hell, EC is one of the few things that's been proven to do exactly what it was assumed to.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    As much as we want to talk about the "good old days" and an EC and aspirin stack, the truth is it will help you lose weight about as much as an ice bath or a 15-minute walk. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but do people still confuse metabolism with energy? Like many of you, I used to buy pure ephedrine at my gas station, I thought it was amazing. To make it better, I would then buy NoDoz and aspirin to "glorify" the effect. It should be pointed out that I took this over the same time frame my weight went from 250lbs to 330lbs.
    Maybe it reduced hunger but if I gave you all a sugar pill that "stopped hunger" it would be effective on about half of you. Fact is ECA is not and there will never be a "magic pill" for weight loss so please for the love of God stop wasting your money on that *kitten*.

What are you talking about..an ice bath or a 15 minute walk...neither of these will stop me from eating if i am hungry. Now the EC stack on the other hand made me not want to over eat and i will "waste" my money on what ever i please..because to me it's not a waste. It has helped me lose weight. I have learned how to cycle it.

• Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Each to their own.

If someone wants to do it natty, good for them.

If someone wants to use assistance, good for them

If they get desired result, does it matter?

Precisely. Unfortunately, the CICO thing seems to have taken on this weird dogmatic approach as of late, where anyone who uses any form of assistance (even the clinically proven ones) is doing it wrong.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    T3 and clen ftw lol
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I find this over-the-top absurd. Years ago I took fen-phen under Dr. supervision. I took it for about a month and a half, lost some weight, continued losing weight after I hit the top of my healthy weight range and the Dr. discontinued the pills. i kept it off for years, until I moved and started a long commute and had to drastically cut my activity. I know people who took weight loss pills (otc and Dr. prescribed) and gained it all back after stopping. I know a couple like me who kept it off.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do use supplements which contain vitamins, bcaa's, caffeine, electrolytes, and Beta Alanine, Arginine, and Creatine. I don't consider them a diet pill though, just enhancements for performance (energy) and to stimulate muscle growth and recovery. I also take Fish Oil, a multivitamin, and oh.. CLA (Omega 6). None of that I consider a diet pill though, and I take them in combination with a six days a week workout program. Has done wonders for me, but most of the improvement is likely the exercise not the supplements. They simply help things along, and at my age, help me keep going.

So whatever you take, take it because your body needs it, not because someone told you it would melt away fat. Then adopt a good exercise program and watch your diet. CICO is all that is needed.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also think that the majority fail to realise that 95%, of fitness athletes, models, movie stars, anybody selling bodybuilding or nutrition supplements are on gear. Fake natties everywhere lol

This is a valid point, both in regards to those types of people using and also in regards to the majority of the general public failing to realize it.

I don't have any heartburn with people using steroids/PEDs - it's your body and your life, do whatever turns you on. I've personally never taken them because my career/livelihood didn't depend on it and the sides weren't a risk I was willing to accept just to be big and/or cut (not to mention the possible legal consequences and the risks with buying black market stuff, which may be adulterated, or not even the substance you're ostensibly buying).

But regarding the OP's first post, I still feel a good rule of thumb for weight/fat loss supplements is "If it's legal, it's not effective; if it's effective, it's not legal". ECA probably being the only notable exception, and that's a shady distinction because ephedrine is illegal in many countries and now tightly controlled in the U.S. Other than that, the "diet supplements" you can buy over the counter are complete crap and ripoffs.

To expand a bit about my earlier post re: ECA: Sure, a bodybuilder at 8% trying to get to 6% needs every little edge he can get - their body is fighting them like crazy trying not to shed any more fat and they have to utilize every little trick in the book. Those are the people where things like ECA (or more like clen, T3 and DNP in many cases), nutrient timing, etc. can make the difference between success and failure. For the average fat/obese person trying to lose weight, it's majoring in the minors to the extreme. Their bodies aren't on the razor's edge like those bodybuilders and will be more than willing to give up the fat from nothing more than a reasonable caloric deficit. ECA, nutrient timing, etc. are going to be such a small piece of the puzzle that they're all but inconsequential.

Well said. Great post
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I also think that the majority fail to realise that 95%, of fitness athletes, models, movie stars, anybody selling bodybuilding or nutrition supplements are on gear. Fake natties everywhere lol

This is a valid point, both in regards to those types of people using and also in regards to the majority of the general public failing to realize it.

I don't have any heartburn with people using steroids/PEDs - it's your body and your life, do whatever turns you on. I've personally never taken them because my career/livelihood didn't depend on it and the sides weren't a risk I was willing to accept just to be big and/or cut (not to mention the possible legal consequences and the risks with buying black market stuff, which may be adulterated, or not even the substance you're ostensibly buying).

But regarding the OP's first post, I still feel a good rule of thumb for weight/fat loss supplements is "If it's legal, it's not effective; if it's effective, it's not legal". ECA probably being the only notable exception, and that's a shady distinction because ephedrine is illegal in many countries and now tightly controlled in the U.S. Other than that, the "diet supplements" you can buy over the counter are complete crap and ripoffs.

To expand a bit about my earlier post re: ECA: Sure, a bodybuilder at 8% trying to get to 6% needs every little edge he can get - their body is fighting them like crazy trying not to shed any more fat and they have to utilize every little trick in the book. Those are the people where things like ECA (or more like clen, T3 and DNP in many cases), nutrient timing, etc. can make the difference between success and failure. For the average fat/obese person trying to lose weight, it's majoring in the minors to the extreme. Their bodies aren't on the razor's edge like those bodybuilders and will be more than willing to give up the fat from nothing more than a reasonable caloric deficit. ECA, nutrient timing, etc. are going to be such a small piece of the puzzle that they're all but inconsequential.

I agree completely. However, on the other side of the fat person coin are (were) people like myself. When I do something, I either go all in, or I don't bother; the middle ground just annoys me. When I go into a bulk, I am going to be looking at a 400-500 per day surplus. I will get fat. I know this. When I cut, it will be via PSMF. I will hate life briefly. I know this.
    When I first set about trying to get away from being morbidly obese (265 at 5'10", 37% bf) I set my daily intake to 1600, lifted as heavily as I could for singles, and stuffed every stim into myself that I could get my hands on.
    Anyway, my point is, majoring in the minors is what makes the difference between optimal and halfassed. While the bodybuilder needs it, it helps the fat guy as well, so long as he isn't neglecting the important stuff because of it.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    KristenG80 wrote: »
    (snip)

I've used them before (Liporexall, I think?) and they did kinda work in a roundabout way.

They were basically loaded with powdered caffeine and made me so restless that I had to exercise the energy off, so...
  • figures101
    figures101 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a medical weight loss program where I get phenermine and b12 shots. I have been doing it for about 4 months, I love how I don't obsess about food anymore but I noticed my hair is getting really thin! I go back to Dr on Wednesday. I see people post taking diet pills are for lazy people, however being older and post menopausal the weight just kept piling on, I tried all kinds of diets, nothing was working, till I went to the clinic. I have lost 34lbs and it feels great but now I'm really worried about hair loss and what will happen if I have to quit taking phen. Any advice? Please don't be overly negative, I want constructive advice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @figures101 I hope this comes across as constructive. The hair loss might be from not getting enough protein. It will come back if you correct this. MFP can help you work out if you are getting your minimum protein daily.

I got professional help with I hit mid-life too. I also was afraid to go backwards. What has helped most with that was taking up regular exercise. It temporarily slowed my loss but it also gives me a buffer on higher calorie days. Besides getting more active means I have more energy.