Rice

Options
xaryo
xaryo Posts: 104 Member
Opinions about classical white rice ( ex: uncle ben's converted) and sushi rice and the brown version of both of them?

This week end i tries brown sushi rice with raw egg and it tasted better than classical rice.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the one you like . . . . sticky rice, brown rice, white rice, . . . . it does not matter.
    The calories and the nutritional difference is almost non-existent.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The non-refined brown rice varieties are generally better for you, and contain more fiber that fills you up. I've been eating brown basmati rice cooked with a little coconut butter. Delish!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    They're pretty much is no difference unless the sticky sushi rice you're eating has added sugar. They sometimes sweeten the rice. Yeah brown has a bit more fiber, but they're pretty much the same. It's like comparing a sweet potato to a normal potato
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Converted rice (partially precooked) is not classical white rice. Classical white rice is made from raw white rice.

That bit of food snobbism aside :) nutritional differences between different types of plain rice (no fats or sweeteners added) is pretty small. If you're really focused on getting absolutely as much fiber as you can, yeah, brown rice has a tiny edge -- an extra 2 grams per 100 grams of raw medium-grain rice. But unless you're eating rice three times a day, it's probably not going to make a big difference in your nutrition. Eat what you like and what works for you. I like brown rice, but it takes longer to cook, so sometimes I have white rice when I don't want to wait that long.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    My basic go-to rice bounces between Jasmine and Basmati. I also have sushi rice in the house, but I make sushi with it 99% of the time. Like others have said, choose the rice that tastes the best to you. The nutritional differences are not enough to fret over.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I tried the brown rice thing - it was a pain to cook and I didn't enjoy it enough for the small nutritional benefit. I now switch between white rice and basmati - I feel fuller and more satisfied flavour-wise.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have tried brown rice and it's just not doing it for me. When I make rice these days, unless the recipe calls for something different (e.g. arborio for risotto), I use basmati and I make it from scratch.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calibrate wrote: »
    The non-refined brown rice varieties are generally better for you, and contain more fiber that fills you up. I've been eating brown basmati rice cooked with a little coconut butter. Delish!

The difference between most brown rices and white rices is about 1g of fiber. Vitamin and mineral wise, almost identical. I am an equal opportunity rice eating.. white, brown, jasamin, basmati, spanish... just bring it on!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Go for the one you prefer the taste of / compliments a particular meal.

There's not really a huge nutritional difference between white and brown rice, often the differences are overblown in the silly "any white food is bad/unclean" fashion.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy the texture of brown rice with some dishes and white rice with other dishes. Eat the one you like the best!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Basmati is my favorite
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I love jasmine rice. Little on the sticky side. Not a fan of brown rice...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Eat the rice you like. I eat all types.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of brown rice, preferably with a little wild rice mixed in. I also usually add some chia seeds for extra fiber. I like a lot of fiber in my diet.

But nothing wrong with white if you like it. For sushi, I always go with sticky rice. I think brown rice tastes a little heavy for sushi.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me this thing with eating rice and a raw egg? It sounds disgusting to me, but I keep seeing it mentioned on these boards and I'm wondering why people eat that?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me this thing with eating rice and a raw egg? It sounds disgusting to me, but I keep seeing it mentioned on these boards and I'm wondering why people eat that?

I don't. I think it's a cultural thing.
  • xaryo
    Options
    Because it is good and fast to make ( provided that you have rice already done)

The rice must be hot, so the egg will be partially cooked.

It is called "tamago kake gohan" meaning litterally "egg over rice". It is part of a japanese breakfast.
  • xaryo
    Options
    Try it at least once and don't bother with the look of people around you.