Dealing with others comments

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    People are startled by change. They'll become accustomed to the new you.

I also can't speak for you, but I also found that when I first reached goal, even I thought I had some appearance issues - for one example, a little bit of loose skin on my face (I'm old) made me look a bit drawn, and I think that contributed to worries by some. After a few months in maintenance, those things have pretty much resolved. Even a friend (and fitness instructor) whom I respect told me recently that she thought I looked very thin at first, but now (only a few months later) I look strong & fit (and I guarantee, and told her, that I'm not actually stronger & fitter in that few months).

Beyond that sort of thing, these comments are all about issues with the other person's brain-state. That should be their problem; don't let it be your problem.

I like @sijomial's "consider the motivation" idea a lot, in terms of how to respond in the moment.

Not to derail the topic, but thanks Anne for mentioning the drawnness of your face. I have got that recently. Cheers to you and here's hoping things settle over here too in the next months while I begin maintaining and increasing activity.

I've already noticed since adding back in 50 plus calories a day that my energy level is very much better so I feel confident that getting more excersize and fresh air is going to make a big difference.

Maintenance could be... well, fun?

• onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow.....I've been at both ends..your too fat....your too skinny....Body shaming isn't funny..I'm sorry this happened to you
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    I don't take anything to serious. I mean my own opinion is the only one I accept in all actuality.

Ha I am trying to get more like this day by day, I care so much what others think but why is their opinion more valid than mine?
  • pyro_guy7
    pyro_guy7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @emawbey Do you feel healthy? Does your doctor agree? Yes? Good!

Next person that says you're too thin, ask to see their medical degree that qualifies them to make the judgement! Let see how many of them have the actual knowledge to back it up :lol:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It takes time for people to adjust to seeing a new you, particularly if it's been awhile. Also, being overweight is the norm in a lot of places so seeing someone lean looks odd to a lot of people.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that I look like I'm 12. I'm 47. I like to think she was going for a compliment and just got the number wrong, but I'm not sure.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love the "just right" comment - think I will start using that one! Find your comfort zone and congrats on achieving it and try and let the rest go.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If it's someone you care about say something like "I am well within my healthy range and my doctor agrees. There is nothing to be concerned about" then change the subject. For someone you don't know, or care for something along the lines of "Until you get a degree in nutrition, keep your opinion to yourself"
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think that we often encounter people who don't know how to properly express what they're thinking. I have received comments that I thought were a little rude, such as "You better not lose any more weight missy!" But, this came from my dear aunt who I love very much and who is not mean-spirited at all, and I don't think she intended it the way it came out. Then there are others who are just jealous and/or dealing with their own personal issues, and any inappropriate comments they make are not a true reflection of you. I do agree that even when a person knows that how they feel is what is important, it can still be challenging to shrug off these types of comments.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    ...instead of getting praise, I get heat about how thin I look. The fact is that I don't look thin, I just look thinner than I did. I think people say stuff like this partly because they wish they were thin too.
    SOOOO much truth here!!!
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have that problem...YET, but I know it's coming and all these answers have given me something to think about and how I will respond. But, let me say this, I went and looked at your photos and I don't think you look skinny or sick. You look MARVELOUS! BRAVO you!
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is something I've just started getting. Interestingly, to me at least, it started after I'd switched to maintainance - not while I was still losing. Most of the people who've said it were honestly concerned. I just thanked them for noticing that I'd lost weight and said I was quite happy at my new size.