Rice

Options
2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    xaryo wrote: »
    Because it is good and fast to make ( provided that you have rice already done)

The rice must be hot, so the egg will be partially cooked.

It is called "tamago kake gohan" meaning litterally "egg over rice". It is part of a japanese breakfast.

That actually sounds really good. I am going to try that...
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Japanese rice (日本米) aka "sticky rice" is a short grain rice.
    Sushi rice (すし米) is a high-quality Japanese rice that is specially prepared with vinegar made from "sake" (にほんしゅ) .
    su-shi basically means "vinegar", sushi does not mean "raw fish".
    Sashimi (さしみ) roughly translates to "raw fish".
    Sometimes sushi comes with sashimi on top or inside.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of different types of Japanese rice with different flavors, textures, sweetness, etc.

Jasmine rice, Uncle Ben's, Basmati, etc are LONG grain and not sticky.
    Long grain rice is not even in the same league as Japanese rice if you are talking about "sticky", especially when correctly prepared.
    There is a reason why you can eat Japanese rice with chopsticks.

Brown or whole grain rice is not better for you in any meaningful way than a good white rice.
    That is a myth that has been debunked many times but still gets spread around like it is fact.
    Japanese people eat white rice 3 times a day and are among the healthiest and thinnest cultures in the world.
    The Japanese are are usually #1 or #2 each year when it comes to lowest obesity.

White rice is just "brown rice" with the outer hull removed.
    One is not different from the other aside from that. Common misconception.
    Also, brown rice has more phytate which inhibits the absorption of vitamins, minerals & protein.
    Brown rice also has more arsenic than white rice.

Japanese rice > Basmati > everything else

わたしの にほんご が すこし わかります。

Sorry for being pedantic.

PSA: Stay away from any rice from the USA that is not specifically labeled as Basmati.
    The levels of arsenic in most long grain white rice is unacceptable, especially from places like Texas.
    This includes Uncle Ben's etc.
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So that rice pudding, will really be that famous arsenic pudding ??
    Neat!
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So that rice pudding, will really be that famous arsenic pudding ??
    Neat!

They admit it, just not widely publicized:
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm319870.htm
    "Rice has higher levels of inorganic arsenic than other foods, in part because as rice plants grow, the plant and grain tend to absorb arsenic more readily than other food crops. In April 2016, the FDA proposed an action level, or limit, of 100 parts per billion (ppb) for inorganic arsenic in infant rice cereal. This level, which is based on the FDA’s assessment of a large body of scientific information, seeks to reduce infant exposure to inorganic arsenic. The agency also has developed advice on rice consumption for pregnant women and the caregivers of infants. "

https://authoritynutrition.com/arsenic-in-rice/
    "High levels of inorganic arsenic have been detected in many rice-based products, such as:

Rice milk (11).
    Rice bran (12, 13).
    Rice-based breakfast cereals (13).
    Rice cereal (baby rice) (14, 15).
    Rice crackers (13).
    Brown rice syrup (16).
    Cereal bars containing rice and/or brown rice syrup."

"Brown rice contains higher amounts of arsenic than white rice. If you eat large amounts of rice, the white variety may be a better choice (12, 49, 50)."

"Choose aromatic rice, such as basmati or jasmine (51).
    Choose rice from the Himalayan region, including North India, North Pakistan and Nepal (7)."

Since you don't know the source of the rice in your pudding, you might assume it is the cheapest and most readily available, right? Would that mean more or less arsenic? Hmmm?

Basmati and Japanese rice consistently tests as lowest in arsenic (lower than Jasmine) because of how and where it is grown.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm
    "All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests. For instance, white rices from California have 38 percent less inorganic arsenic than white rices from other parts of the country."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you look at the nutritional profiles, you're not really going to find a substantive difference between brown and white rice varieties.

Personally, I prefer brown Basmati or brown sushi rice depending on what it's being used for. White rice tastes like nothingness to me and I enjoy the "nuttiness" of brown rice...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At this particular time I have commodity white rice, commodity brown rice, and Texmati rice in my pantry. My palate is not the most exquisitely developed, but the fragrance of the freshly cooked Texmati was a surprise the first time I cooked it. I hadn't been aware that rice had a smell.
  • cqbkaju
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you look at the nutritional profiles, you're not really going to find a substantive difference between brown and white rice varieties.

Personally, I prefer brown Basmati or brown sushi rice depending on what it's being used for. White rice tastes like nothingness to me and I enjoy the "nuttiness" of brown rice...

You are right as I mention above; brown rice being "better for you" is a myth.
    An important difference is that brown rice has more phytic acid / phytate than white rice.
    Phytate inhibits the absorption of vitamins, minerals & protein.
    Phytate even lowers the fabled "nitrogen balance" that bodybuilders worry about.
    So if you weight train then brown rice is actually worse for you than white rice.
    Brown Basmati and brown Japanese rice still have this problem:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27135349
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

All white rice is "brown rice" with the outer hull removed. It is not a different rice.
    Common misconception.

The Japanese put all sorts of stuff on their rice for extra flavor.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Because it is good and fast to make ( provided that you have rice already done)

The rice must be hot, so the egg will be partially cooked.

It is called "tamago kake gohan" meaning litterally "egg over rice". It is part of a japanese breakfast.

That actually sounds really good. I am going to try that...

Ok, so that makes a little more sense. The egg gets sort of cooked by the hot rice. So it's not entirely raw
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,997 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me this thing with eating rice and a raw egg? It sounds disgusting to me, but I keep seeing it mentioned on these boards and I'm wondering why people eat that?
    It's a Japanese thing. They eat strange food. I have a Japanese friend who loves sliced cucumbers with peanut butter. :s

I'm not Japanese, but cukes and peanut butter doesn't seem at all strange to me. When I make noodles with spicy peanut sauce, I usually add sliced cucumbers or bell peppers for a cooling contrast to the spicy sauce (and either pork or tofu if I want an all-in-one dish that includes my protein).
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My faves are basmati or jasmine! Taste wise I mean.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it's nice to hear this about the minimal difference, because rice has always been one of my foods (i think everyone has a few) where the 'betterness' of brown just hasn't been worth it for me.

for stir fries and indian dishes i'm a basmati person, although i think that brown rice goes well with most of the western type things that i serve it with.