How many calories do you aim for a day??

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I eat my body weight (in lbs) x10, so if I weigh 130lbs, i'll eat 1300 cals, if I weigh 120lbs, i'll eat 1200 cals, this has been the best method for me. A lot of fitness people take a similar approach to this

Is this to create a deficit or to maintain? Numbers seem low if you are active. I'm assuming this is net calories after subtracting exercise?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I eat my body weight (in lbs) x10, so if I weigh 130lbs, i'll eat 1300 cals, if I weigh 120lbs, i'll eat 1200 cals, this has been the best method for me. A lot of fitness people take a similar approach to this

Is this to create a deficit or to maintain? Numbers seem low if you are active. I'm assuming this is net calories after subtracting exercise?

It's supposed to be for sedentary, but even then it's way off for a lot of people. If I did that, I would be eating 1700 calories which is about a 1300 calorie per day deficit.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    @dawnwarcup28 Hi, I'm writing this post because I used to be you. I used to think that the less I ate, the better/faster my weight loss would be. I used to think that I felt ok, so therefore I was ok. I used to think it's only for a short while, and lots of other people do it, so it will be fine. I used to think that dieting was supposed to be uncomfortable/difficult/some kind of punishment. I was wrong, and so are you.

Dawn, it isn't fine. People have told you in this very thread what can happen if you eat too few calories, and you're ignoring them. People have told you that you need to be more accurate with your intake by measuring accurately (i.e by weighing everything you eat and choosing correct information from the database) and you're saying that you'll do that but then you're responding to people who tell you that they eat low amounts (even if it's only for a few days because they are following an intermittent fasting plan). You can buy kitchen scales in Asda for £8, which may or may not be out of your budget but until you get a handle on what size portions you can eat I think you should make buying or borrowing some a priority.

I don't think you have an eating disorder, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I do, however, think you're misguided about how weight loss and calorie deficits work, and I urge you to re-read all the posts that are trying to explain to you how to do this healthfully. Hopefully, reading through this stuff will help to change your mindset about what you need to do to be successful and healthy.

The best-case scenario for you is that you're not accurately counting your calories and won't lose the weight at the rate you think you will. The worst-case scenario is that you may end up with health problems that aren't easily fixed. Both these scenarios can be fixed by you learning how to calculate your calories, eating food that fits your allowance and have an overall diet that is good for you nutritionally. Read through these links; ask questions if you're not sure about anything (you'll soon learn who is giving reliable advice!), and remember that it's not a race or a competition. Take very good care of yourself.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

For the record I don't think she's ignored anyone. She asked if she should eat more, realized that she should, said she was going to buy scales and up her calories...this is a great post for those other undereaters in this thread though.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It's supposed to be for sedentary, but even then it's way off for a lot of people. If I did that, I would be eating 1700 calories which is about a 1300 calorie per day deficit.

Thanks Lemon!
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Looking over the weeks MFP tells me I net about 1100 to 1500, although since it over estimates calorie burns its probably more like 1300 to 1700. Or more, allowing for package meals having different calories and also I never weigh the tea in my milk/log it.

I'm targetted to lose 0.5lbs a week giving me 1750 allowance.
    5'7, 178lbs.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

yeah, I do this as my net value, not my total intake. I use this method to either maintain or lose, I change my macros percentages depending on what i'm aiming for. also, rememeber i'm female, if I were male, i'd times my weight by about 12-14
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this approach, do you take your goal weight and multiply by 10, or your current weight x 10?
  • dawnwarcup28
    dawnwarcup28 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    @dawnwarcup28 Hi, I'm writing this post because I used to be you. I used to think that the less I ate, the better/faster my weight loss would be. I used to think that I felt ok, so therefore I was ok. I used to think it's only for a short while, and lots of other people do it, so it will be fine. I used to think that dieting was supposed to be uncomfortable/difficult/some kind of punishment. I was wrong, and so are you.

Dawn, it isn't fine. People have told you in this very thread what can happen if you eat too few calories, and you're ignoring them. People have told you that you need to be more accurate with your intake by measuring accurately (i.e by weighing everything you eat and choosing correct information from the database) and you're saying that you'll do that but then you're responding to people who tell you that they eat low amounts (even if it's only for a few days because they are following an intermittent fasting plan). You can buy kitchen scales in Asda for £8, which may or may not be out of your budget but until you get a handle on what size portions you can eat I think you should make buying or borrowing some a priority.

I don't think you have an eating disorder, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I do, however, think you're misguided about how weight loss and calorie deficits work, and I urge you to re-read all the posts that are trying to explain to you how to do this healthfully. Hopefully, reading through this stuff will help to change your mindset about what you need to do to be successful and healthy.

The best-case scenario for you is that you're not accurately counting your calories and won't lose the weight at the rate you think you will. The worst-case scenario is that you may end up with health problems that aren't easily fixed. Both these scenarios can be fixed by you learning how to calculate your calories, eating food that fits your allowance and have an overall diet that is good for you nutritionally. Read through these links; ask questions if you're not sure about anything (you'll soon learn who is giving reliable advice!), and remember that it's not a race or a competition. Take very good care of yourself.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

For the record I don't think she's ignored anyone. She asked if she should eat more, realized that she should, said she was going to buy scales and up her calories...this is a great post for those other undereaters in this thread though.

Yeah thank u I avnt ignored anyone wen iv bin paid will get me self sum scales, thank you for everyone's advice x
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I've heard of this approach, do you take your goal weight and multiply by 10, or your current weight x 10?

as i am a healthy weight for my age and height, i use my current weight, if you're overweight, use your goal weight (but no less than about 20lbs below your current weight)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Wow-- I'm 60, female, 5'2 1/2" and I'm losing slow but sure on 1300-1500 calories a day. No way I could do 1200 or less for any length of time.

Similar stats. I'm 54 and a little shorter and losing on 1500-1600. I'm gradually upping to 1800, which is maintenance for my goal weight.
  • dawnwarcup28
    dawnwarcup28 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

as i am a healthy weight for my age and height, i use my current weight, if you're overweight, use your goal weight (but no less than about 20lbs below your current weight)

I'm 10st 5lb and 5ft 4 wanna get to 9st hun X
  • ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    950-1200 daily . Not yet in maintenance ! If my body asks for more energy/food I'll have 1200-1500 on weekends.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I try to end between 1600 and 1700 each day. I usually don't eat back any of the exercise calories I claim, because usually I just have breakfast right after exercising anyway. I've lost 7.6 lb in the past 30 days.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Makes sense, thanks!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 1750 cals/day (with individual days ranging from 1500ish to the occasional 2200ish day) and losing more than 1 pound per week. So, I've increased my target a bit (and just got a FitBit so I'm scrupulously recording data to see how accurate it is and if it overestimates or underestimates based on my intake and rate of weightloss).

I don't actually pay too much attention to my daily target; I watch my monthly average. Some days I'm just hungrier than others and as long as it all balances out, I don't sweat it.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Somewhere around 1700 most days. That's about where I feel right and still lose. Rarely do I exceed 2000. I'm pretty sedentary though, except for walking 30 minutes a day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    My calorie goal is 1200 without exercise. 1200-1400 is probably typical.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the advice guys, I just think if I eat more I'm not guna loose weight xx

Eating too few calories may help you lose weight faster.....but your body is more likely to be using existing lean muscle mass for fuel. You want to lower your body fat %,. 800 calories is far too low.

I'm older & don't exercise a lot, but I still clear 1400 calories.
  • warcup666
    warcup666 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, add me , iv logged into my old account so will not be using dawnwarcup28 no more. Thanx :smiley: xx
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, 6'0" 167lbs. I maintain on about 3000 per day. When I am losing I eat about 2400 per day.