For those losing...how to fall/stay asleep? Pee every few hours during night, also wired feeling.

Options

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've tried CALM magenisum in the past and magnesium glycinate. Both don't do much :( I have the stress B vitamins by Solray and they're great for energy but yes can't take at night. but
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I do have the issue. I found that magnesium helped me. The nice thing about it is that it helps relax my muscles so I'm not as tense.

Also for stress the Stress B Complex vitamins from Walmart help me during the day if I'm feeling a bit edgy. But it might not be a good idea to take B vitamins at night because it could give you a little energy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am not asking about a particular diet or food. I am asking more about a sleep problem. If you have questions about the foods I eat or calories, you can ask me and I will tell you...this forum seems to be a lot more active. however the database is a lot slower and less put together than live strong, that's all.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm not logging on here as I don't like the database. I use live strong usually. My deficit is not too large I assure you. I use a fitbit and exercise at least 60 minutes a day of cardio, sometimes wight lifting. I've tried protein before bed as well..ugh. Sounds like not many people have this issue when dieting.
    Ok...I am still not understanding your issue?

Your food diary is set to private so I can't really look at it and make any suggestions. If you are hungry and that's why you can't sleep, maybe your deficit is too large. Without a lengthy (like a couple months) logging record there is no way for you to know if that is the case. Figure out your daily needs and subtract 250 (or use this site and choose "Lose 1/2 pound per week.") Then log your food for two months. See if you lose or gain or stay the same. Adjust accordingly.

Good bedtime snack is something with protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, glass of milk, egg and toast. Something with protein.

Without seeing your food diary it's significantly harder to help you. Maybe you can ask the people over there instead.

Diet can impact sleep, so it can play a huge part in your sleep issues. Even more so since you are saying you only have this problem while dieting.
  • judithraye
    judithraye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might want to try cortisol manager which I take at night to sleep. It helps people with high stress. I was diagnosed with high cortisol that does not return to normal and low dhea which kept me up late unable to sleep. I take one of those and in 15 minutes I am asleep for 7-8 hrs
  • judithraye
    judithraye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not to mention now finally losing weight
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Well if I'm not dieting I'm overeating and gaining weight very fast. I can overeat easily by 1000 calories. When I'm logging and trying to focus on vegetables and protein, healthy fats I'm trying to keep my calories lower too.
    I am not asking about a particular diet or food. I am asking more about a sleep problem. If you have questions about the foods I eat or calories, you can ask me and I will tell you...this forum seems to be a lot more active. however the database is a lot slower and less put together than live strong, that's all.
    I'm not logging on here as I don't like the database. I use live strong usually. My deficit is not too large I assure you. I use a fitbit and exercise at least 60 minutes a day of cardio, sometimes wight lifting. I've tried protein before bed as well..ugh. Sounds like not many people have this issue when dieting.

Your food diary is set to private so I can't really look at it and make any suggestions. If you are hungry and that's why you can't sleep, maybe your deficit is too large. Without a lengthy (like a couple months) logging record there is no way for you to know if that is the case. Figure out your daily needs and subtract 250 (or use this site and choose "Lose 1/2 pound per week.") Then log your food for two months. See if you lose or gain or stay the same. Adjust accordingly.

Good bedtime snack is something with protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, glass of milk, egg and toast. Something with protein.

Without seeing your food diary it's significantly harder to help you. Maybe you can ask the people over there instead.

Diet can impact sleep, so it can play a huge part in your sleep issues. Even more so since you are saying you only have this problem while dieting.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Well if I'm not dieting I'm overeating and gaining weight very fast. I can overeat easily by 1000 calories. When I'm logging and trying to focus on vegetables and protein, healthy fats I'm trying to keep my calories lower too.

How about this, you give us some stats and maybe we can help.

Weight:
    Calorie intake:
    Exercise:
    Protein intake:
    Fat intake:
    Carb intake:
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I assume you're practicing good sleep hygiene?
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    5'2.5"
    168 lbs
    calories vary based on activity. anywhere from 1700-2800...fitbit tracks calories. yesterday I burned 2852...assuming it counted the leg workout after the hour of cardio.
    Exerise is cardio daily totaling an hour: daily incline power walking BPM = 140-155. Stair master every other day 20 minutes bpm 169-170, then walking incline power walking for 40 minutes. Sometimes just power walking, sometimes stair master in addition if that makes sense.
    Strength training: leg days : Deadlifts 70-80 lbs for 10-12 reps, 3-4 sets. Leg press, hamstring curls, Leg extensions, all challenging (for me) weights, 3 sets, 10-12 reps.
    Back days: Lateral pull downs, upright cable rows, machine pull downs, 3-4 sets, challenging weights, 10-12 reps

I used to lift more body parts but find it makes me too hungry and worn down feelings. I've lost weight in the past just by running and less lifting...prefer it as I'm always sore with lifting, and cannot do as much cardio. also the hunger and lack of energy is horrible with more frequent lifting.

Protein intake around 160g day.
    again, calories range from 1700-2800.
    Carbs are 250-300 a day
    Fats range 60-95 a day.

How about this, you give us some stats and maybe we can help.

Weight:
    Calorie intake:
    Exercise:
    Protein intake:
    Fat intake:
    Carb intake:
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I assume you're practicing good sleep hygiene?

I've tried everything. No light, going to bed early, not eating before bed. I can fall asleep but especially if I go to bed the slightest bit hungry or not full, I wake up an hour later, and cannot fall asleep for awhile, keep waking up throughout the night.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Your estimated calorie burn looks extremely high unless you have a job where you are walking around for 12 hours per day.

You said you practice intermittent fasting, well maybe that pattern doesn't work for you. You might want to try spacing your calories different. I'm more likely to experience extreme hunger after breaking a fast while doing IF rather than eating a protein rich breakfast even if it's just a protein shake.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I only had your issues when I first started out and was basically having a withdrawal from food. That disappeared in about 2 weeks. As for the peeing all night: If I eat too much fruit in the evening, I get that. But besides that, I've had it happen with mild anxiety. I'm not panicked or anything, just maybe stressed at work and not really relaxing or in a full sleep. Honest to god, when that happens I'm up every hour peeing and it's like I have a full bladder. As soon as I get up and start moving around it stops. But that only happens a few times a year.

In reading this whole thread, it really doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong. You do have a pretty significant exercise routine and, for some people, that just creates a lot of hunger. I always think it's counterintuitive to say to cut back on the exercise, but I think I might do that if I were you. Just to see if it helps. Also exercise, depending on the time of day, can be very stimulating and cause you to lose sleep. Not everyone, but some people.

After trying that out, if that doesn't work, I would say that your hunger cues (hormonal) are out of whack. To strong of a hunger message going to the brain. It could be that a slight/baby does of an anti-depressant could calm it.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Appreciate that you have experienced a form of this. May try consulting my doctor again. I know she wanted to refer me to another endo who specializes in atypical hormone issues.
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I only had your issues when I first started out and was basically having a withdrawal from food. That disappeared in about 2 weeks. As for the peeing all night: If I eat too much fruit in the evening, I get that. But besides that, I've had it happen with mild anxiety. I'm not panicked or anything, just maybe stressed at work and not really relaxing or in a full sleep. Honest to god, when that happens I'm up every hour peeing and it's like I have a full bladder. As soon as I get up and start moving around it stops. But that only happens a few times a year.

In reading this whole thread, it really doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong. You do have a pretty significant exercise routine and, for some people, that just creates a lot of hunger. I always think it's counterintuitive to say to cut back on the exercise, but I think I might do that if I were you. Just to see if it helps. Also exercise, depending on the time of day, can be very stimulating and cause you to lose sleep. Not everyone, but some people.

After trying that out, if that doesn't work, I would say that your hunger cues (hormonal) are out of whack. To strong of a hunger message going to the brain. It could be that a slight/baby does of an anti-depressant could calm it.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    Eating earlier tends to just make me hungrier throughout the day and I find coffee in the morning which i need blunts my appetite anyway. It's more around 12-4 I struggle and if I break the fast at lunch which often happens when I have work meetings and it would be weird to not eat, I keep carbs extremely low. Later I'll have something so I at least have some complex carbs...otherwise i feel terrible. tried keto and did not work for me and made insomnia way worse.

As far as the calorie burn goes, I work very hard to get it that high. My fitbit says I should be eating 2000-2300 based on my workouts + daily activity. I have an active job somewhat and am on my feet a bit, as well as cardio for an hour. at my weight, it does give me those burns. Especially because the cardio I do I consider to be moderate-virgorous depending on the day.
    Your estimated calorie burn looks extremely high unless you have a job where you are walking around for 12 hours per day.

You said you practice intermittent fasting, well maybe that pattern doesn't work for you. You might want to try spacing your calories different. I'm more likely to experience extreme hunger after breaking a fast while doing IF rather than eating a protein rich breakfast even if it's just a protein shake.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    what is this cortisol manager called?
    judithraye wrote: »
    Not to mention now finally losing weight

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Fitbit can over-estimate. Since you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.

Calculate your TDEE on a site like Scooby and subtract 500 calories from that per day. Try for a few weeks and adjust as needed. Make sure your logging is accurate--use a food scale for ALL solids and mesuring cups for all liquids. Make sure the entires in whatever database you're using are accurate.

As for your sleep issues, they may be emotional and not physical. But they could relate to caffeine intake or sleep apnea. Maybe go back to the doctor and to a licensed therapist.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you taking hot showers just before bed? That can throw off the body's sleep signals.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thanks. I believe the fitbit is accurate. I am just unable to stick to the calories to be in a deficit.

I agree the sleep issues could be emotional too although I am not overly stressed and have had this issue ever since i started dieting. i even lost weight just not having any food in the house so i couldn't eat if id wake up t night. i used to make decaf coffee to help combat the hunger and numb my stomach so i could sleep a little while longer. it wasn't sustainable and i obviously am not doing any better now, 40 lbs. heavier dealing with the same issues.

I've tried therapy, dietitians, endocrinologists, no answers yet. i did just get my period back after not having it for 5 years...it stopped when i was a low body fat and runner and then never got it back despite gaining weight and then i was told it must be PCOS despite not having cysts....except now i am obese and actually got a period. really frustrating.
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Fitbit can over-estimate. Since you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.

Calculate your TDEE on a site like Scooby and subtract 500 calories from that per day. Try for a few weeks and adjust as needed. Make sure your logging is accurate--use a food scale for ALL solids and mesuring cups for all liquids. Make sure the entires in whatever database you're using are accurate.

As for your sleep issues, they may be emotional and not physical. But they could relate to caffeine intake or sleep apnea. Maybe go back to the doctor and to a licensed therapist.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Are you taking hot showers just before bed? That can throw off the body's sleep signals.

nope. no showers except for after i workout in the morning.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What would happen if you tried eating a maintenance for two or three weeks?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    You could try adjusting your meal times. Maybe try "skipping" breakfast. Have lunch, dinner, and a late night meal right before bed. Shift everything about 3-4 hours later. That way you're not hungry while you sleep. You may feel fine pushing through in the morning while you're at work.

It's what works for me.