Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

ATKINS

1235»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    While I eat low carb for pain control I think any way of eating is just a starting point and will need to be tweaked as the years passed by.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited September 2016
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I did Atkins years ago. I ate bacon, pork, steak, cheese and cauliflower. I lost 45 lbs pretty easily with almost no hunger. BUT I couldn't stay on it for maintenance gained it all back plus some.

Oddly enough I don't eat meat now.

Atkins involves quite a bit of vegetables. Did you only eat cauliflower? that sounds awful.

A few others but not a lot of others. I tend to eat the same things on a regular basis so those were my staples. I couldn't go over 40 carbs without gaining.

I'm confused, I guess. Are you now losing weight with just calorie counting?
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes

Which means you went UP on your calories when you went UP on your carbs, yes? i.e. eating more carbs didn't make you gain weight (by your own description).

Logically eating more carbs means eating more calories. Old Atkins wasn't about counting calories only carbs. So increasing my carbs I ate too much gained weight. Having said that I couldn't do it again as I don't eat meat nor do I want to give up some fav carbs. I'm not knocking that it works though just like counting calories works.
  • cejamison4
    cejamison4 Posts: 4 Member
    My Mother has followed the Atkins diet for 10 plus years to control her diabetes , and has had some minor weight fluctuation but nothing major. She has never had to be put on insulin for it either. There are carbs in virtually all vegetables, beans and fruits. The Diet is LOW Carb not NO carb. To truly make something work you have to have the desire to succeed.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    I low carbed for ten years. In the end, it wasn't sustainable for me. Since I wasn't counting calories at the time, it also didn't get my weight anywhere near where I wanted it to be either. At one point, I even gained weight. (I was always a stress eater, I'm not blaming the gain on the way of eating, but pointing out that a macro balance alone won't control your weight like I thought at the time. I don't feel Atkin's book... at least the edition I read... emphasized caloric intake enough. I also didn't have good tools at the time for calorie counting. This was a while ago.)

Like another poster above, I now no longer eat meat. Low carbing was an odd choice for me given that I was never crazy about meat in the first place, but when you're willing to try anything, I guess that's what happens.

Atkins can be a good choice for someone for whom the food choices fit personal preferences and satisfy hunger, though.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I did try Atkins many years ago, when it was fashionable. I loved the food! The programme involved gradually increasing carbs, and so I was happily eating nuts, legumes, even grains on the diet. I ate a lot of vegetables, salads, stirfries and so on, some meat, fish, eggs, and dairy. I didn't try the processed Atkins products. Yes, I lost weight, and no, I didn't seem to get any side effects. I only stopped because I was advised to because of a health issue, and yes, I immediately regained and more (switched to "healthy eating", more frequent meals, high carb/whole grain).

I'm currently doing a very casual sort of LCHF combined with IF, which is working to shift some weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    I low carbed for ten years. In the end, it wasn't sustainable for me. Since I wasn't counting calories at the time, it also didn't get my weight anywhere near where I wanted it to be either. At one point, I even gained weight. (I was always a stress eater, I'm not blaming the gain on the way of eating, but pointing out that a macro balance alone won't control your weight like I thought at the time. I don't feel Atkin's book... at least the edition I read... emphasized caloric intake enough. I also didn't have good tools at the time for calorie counting. This was a while ago.)

Like another poster above, I now no longer eat meat. Low carbing was an odd choice for me given that I was never crazy about meat in the first place, but when you're willing to try anything, I guess that's what happens.

Atkins can be a good choice for someone for whom the food choices fit personal preferences and satisfy hunger, though.

Since going LCHF two years ago my I also eat less meat then my 63 prior years for sure and by default eat a lot more plant based calories too. After being LCHF for two years I can not see Atkins in my future any longer because it would not be sustainable in my case I expect. Atkins does seem to work for some long term from what I read..
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Since going LCHF two years ago my I also eat less meat then my 63 prior years for sure and by default eat a lot more plant based calories too. After being LCHF for two years I can not see Atkins in my future any longer because it would not be sustainable in my case I expect. Atkins does seem to work for some long term from what I read..

I'm not crazy about fat either. Neither is my GERD.

LCHF is definitely not for me. I feel most satiated with a mix of carbs/protein.

Like you, I have a spondylopathy. I manage my pain by keeping my weight low.
  • GaleHawkins

I'm not crazy about fat either. Neither is my GERD.

LCHF is definitely not for me. I feel most satiated with a mix of carbs/protein.

Like you, I have a spondylopathy. I manage my pain by keeping my weight low.

In the end it comes down to what works for each of us. My pain really dropped the first 30 days after I got off of all sugar and grain containing foods and I did not lose my first pound of weight until after 45 days in my case.

I had removed most of the remaining pain by different supplements. I have been a supplement vacation for 3 days so far. Since I have been on fish oil for 20 years and use it as my blood thinner as well I have continued it. After 12 hours I added back coconut and MTC oil because moving was causing pain. I really noticed pain when shaking hands at church for the first time in over a year. I just added back 3 grams of liposomal Vit C. I have not decided what I am going to add back next. I am trying to stay off the Ashwagandha for a full week but it was what that mopped up my last bit of pain I expect. Due to the advanced Ankylosing Spondylitis I have next to no movement from my skull to tail bone. After 30 years its kind of seems normal however to me but makes driving a pain.
  • 1958val
    1958val Posts: 7 Member
    Have any of you ever did the ATKINS meal plan..I have and didn't like it.. Did you guys like it? Tell me your thoughts on it! Did consuming low carbs help you lose weight?? :)

• 1958val
    I use Atkins vanila protein powder 1 scoop with quarter a cup of frozen blueberries and milk very tasty and filling total 270 calories i have this either for breakfast or lunch once a day
  • 1958val
    Basically try and cut as much sugar out of your day as you can I was keeping to the correct amount of calories a day not realizing that the sugar was keeping my weight up I am averaging around 200g a week weight loss since not having any chocolate or icecream