Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

ATKINS

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    We are a species of hunter gathers and have evolved over thousands of years from a diet involving lots of carbs. And in the last 30 years or so "low carb" has been invented and all of a sudden that's healthy! Well enough said on this matter for me. Let's agree to disagree

False.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We are a species of hunter gathers and have evolved over thousands of years from a diet involving lots of carbs. And in the last 30 years or so "low carb" has been invented and all of a sudden that's healthy! Well enough said on this matter for me. Let's agree to disagree

Humans have the ability to eat a lot of different diets, and a huge variety of macro ratios can be healthy (and really aren't the main thing defining what is healthy at all, so long as you get minimum protein and your essential fats).

So IMO Atkins is just one such diet (and maintenance Atkins really isn't super low carb from my understanding, although the induction phase is). I've never done it, am definitely not a huge low carb booster, but I see no reason why it would be a diet that humans couldn't do healthfully.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options

False.

I see you backed your comment up with such a compelling argument how could anyone possible respond further?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options

False.

I see you backed your comment up with such a compelling argument how could anyone possible respond further?

Shall I post the dailymail? ;)

You know your post is false. There are numerous publications listing the long history of low carb. Banting was but one example. And yet, even that one example proves that your statement that low carb was invented 30 years ago false.

FALSE.

Here: a link (to some history, nothing I'm for or against, just some history). You like links.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md66.htm
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    reedj64 wrote: »
    Any diet that cuts out macros necessary to function is garbage. I don't care what the results are. Every person I know that has lost weight doing it eventually gains back more than they lost.

Atkins doesn't "cut out" any macros.

While it's LC, it's typically so unsustainable low for many; that it might as well be no carbohydrates!

Look into the diet. really. Only the first phase, which last just 2 weeks, is very low carb. After that it is low-ish and then can hit moderate carb.

A quick summary is here:

The Atkins diet is split into 4 different phases:

• Phase 1 (Induction): Under 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks. Eat high-fat, high-protein, with low-carb vegetables like leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss.
    • Phase 2 (Balancing): Slowly add more nuts, low-carb vegetables and small amounts of fruit back to your diet.
    • Phase 3 (Fine-Tuning): When you are very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet until weight loss slows down.
    • Phase 4 (Maintenance): Here you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Ok become extremely popular in the last 30 years. Even 1863 is a mere blip on the evolution of humans. We evolved from apes, not slugs

My garden slugs are vegan.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Any diet that cuts out macros necessary to function is garbage. I don't care what the results are. Every person I know that has lost weight doing it eventually gains back more than they lost.

While it's LC, it's typically so unsustainable low for many; that it might as well be no carbohydrates!

Look into the diet. really. Only the first phase, which last just 2 weeks, is very low carb. After that it is low-ish and then can hit moderate carb.

A quick summary is here:

• Phase 1 (Induction): Under 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks. Eat high-fat, high-protein, with low-carb vegetables like leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss.
    • Phase 2 (Balancing): Slowly add more nuts, low-carb vegetables and small amounts of fruit back to your diet.
    • Phase 3 (Fine-Tuning): When you are very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet until weight loss slows down.
    • Phase 4 (Maintenance): Here you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.

Unfortunately like Dr. Oz, Atkins wasn't a Dietitian! My Dietitian told me to consume, a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates daily; for brain function.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing Atkins for dinner for a while when I was a teen when my parents decided to try it. I did not need to lose weight, but mom wasn't cooking another meal just for me. :lol:

I hated it. That may have been a function of being 'forced' into it, or my parents may not have followed the diet exactly as they should have (don't know, never read the book), but I loathed the oiliness and greasiness of every single meal produced from those recipes. One I particularly disliked was some kind of casserole primarily made of ground beef, cheddar cheese, and some kind of chili. Poblano, maybe. The way the oil from the cheese and meat just pooled on the top ... ugh.

Anyway, as far as I know there's no reason not to try Atkins if that style of eating appeals to you, or you think it would help you with appetite, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    " Big yawn and a sigh" I love the fact all you people come on this post chirping away at me and none of you have a real picture!

Internet keyboard warriors, the struggles real.

bwahahahaha. A picture makes the posts relevant? Can I magically tell things about you by your photo? Are your comments somehow more believable because you have your face and right shirtless shoulder on your profile? Does it have to be a face pic? Mine is, after all. And would xmichaelyx's (above) count? His head's not in it. Maybe his opinion counts more because you can see his torso? What, exactly are the parameters here, new fella? B)

Did you have any reply to my post about the history of carbohydrate control? Or you're just going to talk about the lack of a profile photo now. got it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options

A quick summary is here:

Unfortunately like Dr. Oz, Atkins wasn't a Dietitian! My Dietitian told me to consume, a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates daily; for brain function.

Indeed. He was a medical Dr., who studied at Cornell and specialized in internal medicine and cardiology. What are the dietitian's credentials?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

A quick summary is here:

Indeed. He was a medical Dr., who studied at Cornell and specialized in internal medicine and cardiology. What are the dietitian's credentials?

In my area, there's a grocery store chain: ShopRite, that offers free appointments to customers; with a registered in house Dietitian. So she's an actual Dietitian, not a Nutritionist. However I came to meet with her, through a government funded grant program: Connections Family Success Center, that helps people with/through; all sorts of social work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

A quick summary is here:

In my area, there's a grocery store chain: ShopRite, that offers free appointments to customers; with a registered in house Dietitian. So she's an actual Dietitian, not a Nutritionist. However I came to meet with her, through a government funded grant program: Connections Family Success Center, that helps people with/through; all sorts of social work.

Great. Hope it works for you. Did the dietician provide any evidence for the specific carb level for brain function?
    http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=282
    This blog is a fun read.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb a couple of times for the first few weeks of losing weight. It gave me a good kickstart, and helped remind me that there are a lot of things you can eat that are delicious other than cookies, cakes, and ice cream (that is, it helped me focus on alternative choices). It's not extreme or dangerous; in fact, my doctor recommends low carb to all his cardio patients and has had much better results helping them lower cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure than the low fat approach he used to recommend to his patients.

However, there's no way I could do low carb as a permanent lifestyle. I suspect that's why a lot of people lose weight on something like Atkins then put it back on in a year or two. But I don't know that the long-term prognosis for people doing Atkins is any worse than those taking another approach. The good news is: no one has to use it if they don't like it -- they can still lose all the weight they need to lose by counting calories MFP-style. That's how I've lost most of mine.

Since it looks like you're new to MFP, understand that you'll hear a lot of strong opinions expressed in threads like this. Take them with a grain of salt. I've come to realize there are at least four aspects to getting into shape and staying there: dietary choices, controlling input, behavior and beliefs surrounding food, and exercise. The one that most often gets lost around here is the behavior and beliefs part.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

A quick summary is here:

Great. Hope it works for you. Did the dietician provide any evidence for the specific carb level for brain function?
    This blog is a fun read.

No because I only had an hour, to meet with her & she spent much of it researching my liver disease: Glycogen Storage Disease Type III, since she hadn't dealt with my disease prior; before she'd formulate a plan for me.

It doesn't appear, that he's a Dietitian; anyone's able to blog.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

A quick summary is here:

This blog is a fun read.

No because I only had an hour, to meet with her & she spent much of it researching my liver disease: Glycogen Storage Disease Type III, since she hadn't dealt with my disease prior; before she'd formulate a plan for me.

It doesn't appear, that he's a Dietitian; anyone's able to blog.

Glycogen storage disease type III: modified Atkins diet improves myopathy

Results

In both patients, creatine kinase levels in blood dropped in response to Atkins diet. When diet was withdrawn in one of the patients he complained of chest pain, reduced physical strength and creatine kinase levels rapidly increased. This was reversed when Atkins diet was reintroduced. One patient suffered from severe cardiomyopathy which significantly improved under diet.

Patients with glycogenosis IIIa benefit from an improved energetic state of heart and skeletal muscle by introduction of Atkins diet both on a biochemical and clinical level. Apart from transient hypoglycaemia no serious adverse effects were observed.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago. I ate bacon, pork, steak, cheese and cauliflower. I lost 45 lbs pretty easily with almost no hunger. BUT I couldn't stay on it for maintenance gained it all back plus some.

Oddly enough I don't eat meat now.