Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

ATKINS

Options

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    reedj64 wrote: »
    Any diet that cuts out macros necessary to function is garbage. I don't care what the results are. Every person I know that has lost weight doing it eventually gains back more than they lost.

Atkins doesn't "cut out" any macros.

While it's LC, it's typically so unsustainable low for many; that it might as well be no carbohydrates!

Look into the diet. really. Only the first phase, which last just 2 weeks, is very low carb. After that it is low-ish and then can hit moderate carb.

A quick summary is here:

The Atkins diet is split into 4 different phases:

• Phase 1 (Induction): Under 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks. Eat high-fat, high-protein, with low-carb vegetables like leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss.
    • Phase 2 (Balancing): Slowly add more nuts, low-carb vegetables and small amounts of fruit back to your diet.
    • Phase 3 (Fine-Tuning): When you are very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet until weight loss slows down.
    • Phase 4 (Maintenance): Here you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.

Unfortunately like Dr. Oz, Atkins wasn't a Dietitian! My Dietitian told me to consume, a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates daily; for brain function.

Indeed. He was a medical Dr., who studied at Cornell and specialized in internal medicine and cardiology. What are the dietitian's credentials?

In my area, there's a grocery store chain: ShopRite, that offers free appointments to customers; with a registered in house Dietitian. So she's an actual Dietitian, not a Nutritionist. However I came to meet with her, through a government funded grant program: Connections Family Success Center, that helps people with/through; all sorts of social work.

Great. Hope it works for you. Did the dietician provide any evidence for the specific carb level for brain function?
    http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=282
    This blog is a fun read.

No because I only had an hour, to meet with her & she spent much of it researching my liver disease: Glycogen Storage Disease Type III, since she hadn't dealt with my disease prior; before she'd formulate a plan for me.

It doesn't appear, that he's a Dietitian; anyone's able to blog.

Glycogen storage disease type III: modified Atkins diet improves myopathy

Results

In both patients, creatine kinase levels in blood dropped in response to Atkins diet. When diet was withdrawn in one of the patients he complained of chest pain, reduced physical strength and creatine kinase levels rapidly increased. This was reversed when Atkins diet was reintroduced. One patient suffered from severe cardiomyopathy which significantly improved under diet.

Patients with glycogenosis IIIa benefit from an improved energetic state of heart and skeletal muscle by introduction of Atkins diet both on a biochemical and clinical level. Apart from transient hypoglycaemia no serious adverse effects were observed.

Thank you for the link, my Mother had been told; that my diet should be mostly protein & low carbohydrate (as in the minimum, not Atkins) My hypoglycemia in my single digit years was severe/frequent enough, that I had seizures & 2 heart attacks (nearly a year apart), to require me to be fed milk through the night; via a Kangaroo machine. My hypoglycemia has stabilized enough, as an adolescent/adult; to not be problematic if I feed every 4 to 6 hours (depending upon activity levels and/or menstruation).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I did Atkins years ago. I ate bacon, pork, steak, cheese and cauliflower. I lost 45 lbs pretty easily with almost no hunger. BUT I couldn't stay on it for maintenance gained it all back plus some.

Oddly enough I don't eat meat now.

Curious on why you gained it back?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Any diet that cuts out macros necessary to function is garbage. I don't care what the results are. Every person I know that has lost weight doing it eventually gains back more than they lost.

While it's LC, it's typically so unsustainable low for many; that it might as well be no carbohydrates!

Look into the diet. really. Only the first phase, which last just 2 weeks, is very low carb. After that it is low-ish and then can hit moderate carb.

A quick summary is here:

• Phase 1 (Induction): Under 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks. Eat high-fat, high-protein, with low-carb vegetables like leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss.
    • Phase 2 (Balancing): Slowly add more nuts, low-carb vegetables and small amounts of fruit back to your diet.
    • Phase 3 (Fine-Tuning): When you are very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet until weight loss slows down.
    • Phase 4 (Maintenance): Here you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.

Unfortunately like Dr. Oz, Atkins wasn't a Dietitian! My Dietitian told me to consume, a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates daily; for brain function.

Indeed. He was a medical Dr., who studied at Cornell and specialized in internal medicine and cardiology. What are the dietitian's credentials?

In my area, there's a grocery store chain: ShopRite, that offers free appointments to customers; with a registered in house Dietitian. So she's an actual Dietitian, not a Nutritionist. However I came to meet with her, through a government funded grant program: Connections Family Success Center, that helps people with/through; all sorts of social work.

Great. Hope it works for you. Did the dietician provide any evidence for the specific carb level for brain function?
    This blog is a fun read.

No because I only had an hour, to meet with her & she spent much of it researching my liver disease: Glycogen Storage Disease Type III, since she hadn't dealt with my disease prior; before she'd formulate a plan for me.

OH GOODNES YOU HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION related to carbohydrates!
    https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/glycogen-storage-disease-type-iii
    AHHH something you might should have mentioned earlier, as it sorta...changes things. Best of luck. This particular issue doesn't sound too easy to deal with!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago. I ate bacon, pork, steak, cheese and cauliflower. I lost 45 lbs pretty easily with almost no hunger. BUT I couldn't stay on it for maintenance gained it all back plus some.

Atkins involves quite a bit of vegetables. Did you only eat cauliflower? that sounds awful.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

A quick summary is here:

This blog is a fun read.

Glycogen storage disease type III: modified Atkins diet improves myopathy

Results

In both patients, creatine kinase levels in blood dropped in response to Atkins diet. When diet was withdrawn in one of the patients he complained of chest pain, reduced physical strength and creatine kinase levels rapidly increased. This was reversed when Atkins diet was reintroduced. One patient suffered from severe cardiomyopathy which significantly improved under diet.

Patients with glycogenosis IIIa benefit from an improved energetic state of heart and skeletal muscle by introduction of Atkins diet both on a biochemical and clinical level. Apart from transient hypoglycaemia no serious adverse effects were observed.

Thank you for the link, my Mother had been told; that my diet should be mostly protein & low carbohydrate (as in the minimum, not Atkins) My hypoglycemia in my single digit years was severe/frequent enough, that I had seizures & 2 heart attacks (nearly a year apart), to require me to be fed milk through the night; via a Kangaroo machine. My hypoglycemia has stabilized enough, as an adolescent/adult; to not be problematic if I feed every 4 to 6 hours (depending upon activity levels and/or menstruation).

That's a hard one. I wish you the best in dealing with it. Glad you are handlig it so well now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »

A quick summary is here:

This blog is a fun read.
    I don't find it fun to read oxymorons that aren't for comical effect:

"No one should be surprised that it’s glucose rather than carbohydrates that our brains run on."

I think they simply forgot to put the word "dietary" before carbohydrates. People can eat vitually zero carbs and have perfectly functioning brains.

... That seemed weird to type. LOL
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    " Big yawn and a sigh" I love the fact all you people come on this post chirping away at me and none of you have a real picture!

Internet keyboard warriors, the struggles real.

bwahahahaha. A picture makes the posts relevant? Can I magically tell things about you by your photo? Are your comments somehow more believable because you have your face and right shirtless shoulder on your profile? Does it have to be a face pic? Mine is, after all. And would xmichaelyx's (above) count? His head's not in it. Maybe his opinion counts more because you can see his torso? What, exactly are the parameters here, new fella? B)

Did you have any reply to my post about the history of carbohydrate control? Or you're just going to talk about the lack of a profile photo now. got it.

Taking into consideration I have been reported for a 2nd time for commenting on this post I have absolutely nothing more to add.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For the purposes of this thread I'm pro Atkins as a perfectly good diet that can be done healthfully, but still...
    vingogly wrote: »
    I've done low carb a couple of times for the first few weeks of losing weight. It gave me a good kickstart, and helped remind me that there are a lot of things you can eat that are delicious other than cookies, cakes, and ice cream (that is, it helped me focus on alternative choices).

One reason I think cutting out foods or special diets can be useful even if done temporarily is to get one out of a rut and finding alternative choices, so I totally get this. It's one reason I make sure my desserts aren't always sweet and cut out meat sometimes and added sugar sometimes.

However, even though I am sure you know this, I hate so much "carbs" being equated with "junk food" or less nutrient-dense choices, that I have to say -- simply have to! :-) -- that the foods you mention are as much fat as carbs, whereas there are lots of "alternative choices" that happen to be higher carb and delicious and yet nutrient dense and lower calorie.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    " Big yawn and a sigh" I love the fact all you people come on this post chirping away at me and none of you have a real picture!

bwahahahaha. A picture makes the posts relevant? Can I magically tell things about you by your photo? Are your comments somehow more believable because you have your face and right shirtless shoulder on your profile? Does it have to be a face pic? Mine is, after all. And would xmichaelyx's (above) count? His head's not in it. Maybe his opinion counts more because you can see his torso? What, exactly are the parameters here, new fella? B)

Did you have any reply to my post about the history of carbohydrate control? Or you're just going to talk about the lack of a profile photo now. got it.

Taking into consideration I have been reported for a 2nd time for commenting on this post I have absolutely nothing more to add.

That "freedom of speech" thing again? ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »

You should comment again so that the conditioning done can undergo shaping. You'd eventually learn it isn't your posting in this thread that's the issue, it is posting anywhere that you argue against the messenger, rather than the message. It isn't just rude, it doesn't lead to right answers either. Think about it at the most extreme: Mr. Olympia competitors all have physiques that are essentially inhumanly good, but do you think that makes their advice instantly applicable? On the other end, if someone had a PhD in nutrition science but had become a quadriplegic, would you say they can't tell you anything about nutrition because they don't even lift?

Dont forget about childless pediatricians and teachers.

Fabulous. Both of you.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I started eating carbs again and didn't stick to the under 40 carbs that made me gain. Don't get me wrong the diet worked it was just not sustainable for ME.

• leanjogreen18
    Options

Atkins involves quite a bit of vegetables. Did you only eat cauliflower? that sounds awful.

A few others but not a lot of others. I tend to eat the same things on a regular basis so those were my staples. I couldn't go over 40 carbs without gaining.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options

A few others but not a lot of others. I tend to eat the same things on a regular basis so those were my staples. I couldn't go over 40 carbs without gaining.

I'm confused, I guess. Are you now losing weight with just calorie counting?
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I started eating carbs again and didn't stick to the under 40 carbs that made me gain. Don't get me wrong the diet worked it was just not sustainable for ME.

Did the increase of carbs, or the increase in calories cause your regain? The reason i ask is i did low carb for around 4mths, and was petrified that I'd gain the weight back when i switched back over to moderate carbs. But i only gained 2lb which dropped back off after a couple of weeks. I stayed in the same deficit/same amount of calories, therefore it would not have made sense for me to gain the weight back.

So many people say "You'll gain the weight right back when you stop low carbing", it just doesn't make sense to me, unless they go back to over eating.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

Yes
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

Yes

Which means you went UP on your calories when you went UP on your carbs, yes? i.e. eating more carbs didn't make you gain weight (by your own description).
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've done it and lost on it. Atkins works but it is tricky because you are messing with blood chemistry. If you are scrupulous about following a diet, especially for the first couple of weeks then go for it. If you are prone to cheating, then this diet can quickly become a super-size me nightmare. I found it unsustainable from an economic and culinary perspective BUT it does teach you to appreciate what protein can do for you, especially if you are working out regularly with weights. I now eat, more proteins because of it and still get to enjoy some carbs.