Called fat at work

Options
12346»

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I also just find it hard to believe that negative comments and insults are productive in helping someone lose weight and become healthier.

While you might find it hard to believe, there's about 200 years of the US Military TRADOC that shows cold, blunt, and harsh is an effective method for getting Joe/Sue Public into shape.

I think this is different though. When you've enlisted you're expecting that kind of judgment on your body - you're not expecting that kind of comment at a regular workplace.

The workplace doesn't matter. Negative comments and insults work for most people. Sugar coating it makes the problem seem "not as bad".
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I also just find it hard to believe that negative comments and insults are productive in helping someone lose weight and become healthier.

While you might find it hard to believe, there's about 200 years of the US Military TRADOC that shows cold, blunt, and harsh is an effective method for getting Joe/Sue Public into shape.

Do you believe that the average office job is comparable to that of an enlisted soldier who is training to avoid immediate death/injury on the battlefield? In what way are they similar that makes you think that comments and insults in the latter would motivate people in the former?

Yes, I do. I'm an "average office worker", and I got into shape because I started browsing harsher subreddits, regarding fat people. What they thought of fat people made me want to change.
  • coreyreichle
    Options

I think this is different though. When you've enlisted you're expecting that kind of judgment on your body - you're not expecting that kind of comment at a regular workplace.

The workplace doesn't matter. Negative comments and insults work for most people. Sugar coating it makes the problem seem "not as bad".

I don't think that refraining from commenting on someone's weight at the workplace is the same as sugarcoating it.

Eh, I call a spade a spade.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Do you believe that the average office job is comparable to that of an enlisted soldier who is training to avoid immediate death/injury on the battlefield? In what way are they similar that makes you think that comments and insults in the latter would motivate people in the former?

Yes, I do. I'm an "average office worker", and I got into shape because I started browsing harsher subreddits, regarding fat people. What they thought of fat people made me want to change.

So because you went looking for insults toward fat people in general (not specifically you!), you think it's appropriate for a random person to negatively/harshly comment on someone's weight out of the blue, when the overweight person is not soliciting advice and not in a job that requires them to be physically fit? And you think every single person is motivated the same way? Wow.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That was you volunteering to subject yourself to the comments. In the military, right now people volunteer to go in. In the past, when service was mandated, people were training to protect/save their lives. I do not believe that what works in those situations effectively apply to negative comments and insults in the general workplace. If somebody wants that, they can go to Reddit or sign up for a class for it. In the workplace, it is completely inappropriate.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

If that's the case why do we see posts upon post where the op has been insulted and now they want to binge or give up. If insults work why do we have obesity problems.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Some truth in there.

I remember watching Biggest Loser when people wanted the "meaner" coach (Jillian) because they thought she would be more likely to whip them into shape. At the time, I couldn't imagine choosing mean, but who knows? If I were convinced that I would be more likely to win the contest, maybe I would have too. (Note, we have all agreed that BL is promoting dangerously fast weight loss, I bring it up only for the tough love aspect).

I mentioned up thread about using a perceived insult as a powerful motivator to lose weight. I had the "good fortune" to get a joking insult about my running style this past weekend. It was ridiculous really, but boom out of nowhere, I want to run a 5k. I want it pretty badly. Barring injury, I'm going to do what it takes to run one in November. I couldn't have manufactured this level of determination on my own.

Still doesn't excuse unnecessary comments at work.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    There is no excuse for rude comments by adults in the work place.
    If you are an adult and do this, you have very poor manners, and you should be reported to HR.
    Grow up and join the civilized world.
  • Chef_Barbell
    edited October 2016
    Options

I don't think that refraining from commenting on someone's weight at the workplace is the same as sugarcoating it.

Lol and when you are on the unemployment line for making a comment that you thought was ok, I will also call a spade a spade.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Also, OP was already working on her fitness/weight loss. That warrants comments because it's not fast enough for the douche who said something? Yeah.. no.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Some truth in there.

I remember watching Biggest Loser when people wanted the "meaner" coach (Jillian) because they thought she would be more likely to whip them into shape. At the time, I couldn't imagine choosing mean, but who knows? If I were convinced that I would be more likely to win the contest, maybe I would have too. (Note, we have all agreed that BL is promoting dangerously fast weight loss, I bring it up only for the tough love aspect).

I mentioned up thread about using a perceived insult as a powerful motivator to lose weight. I had the "good fortune" to get a joking insult about my running style this past weekend. It was ridiculous really, but boom out of nowhere, I want to run a 5k. I want it pretty badly. Barring injury, I'm going to do what it takes to run one in November. I couldn't have manufactured this level of determination on my own.

Still doesn't excuse unnecessary comments at work.

Oh, I definitely agree that the guy's a jerk.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this:

7gssiawjvmbf.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Words are said in this world, some are nice some are not. Move on and reset.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad. Not the initial words being written by someone genuinely looking for acceptance and support, but many of the following comments afterwards.

Yes, I am "fat". It's a horrible word! It's a horrible thing to feel and to hear. Whether you are or are not, there is NOTHING positive or inspiring about that word. I would like to think that on a thread called "Motivation and Support", that is what would be offered! Save other comments and personal opinions for the Debate threads!

On this thread we should be here for one another. I know it sounds, "sweet, fluffy, soft-hearted... " All those words some will say about me. But isn't that what we are here for?

I can beat myself up good enough and I'm sure the original author of this post can as well.

I work in a place with incredible support. I wish everyone had that opportunity. I have a close friend/co-worker that motivates me to go on lunch time walks with her. When I am hard on myself for having a bad weekend or falling "off the wagon", she is quick to remind me how far I've come and how much I've accomplished. Just today, I was talking about how upset I was with my choices this weekend and she said, don't worry about what you did. What are you going to do moving forward? She helped me make a plan on what I would do to succeed this week. What a wonderful approach.

What was said by your co-worker was hurtful, whether or not some believe it should have been or not been. To you... it was hurtful. I"m so sorry it happened and that you had to feel that.

Let's use that energy to shift to something positive. You came HERE for support and motivation, instead of drowning your sorrows in a large chocolate cake every day since! Some may have chose the chocolate cake (and that's okay too, if they need it because the time will come when they are ready to restart and we will be there to support them too). I'm proud of you for coming here, for looking for support, for trying something to feel better and to give you strength to move on. That's super courageous and inspirational.

Stay strong. You are beautiful. You are doing what you need to do with your life to succeed. One person's journey and story is going to be different from another. No one is better than another. We should be celebrating each other's victories and helping pick up those in defeat.

Sorry for the long post, but I was just feeling sad about the responses on this thread.

My favorite quote and one on my email signature line is, "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" by James Keller. Let's be someone's candle.
  • skinnytofatagain2
    Options
    Hang in there MeganMoroz89. Some people should pull their head out of their a..

• coreyreichle
    Options

Lol and when you are on the unemployment line for making a comment that you thought was ok, I will also call a spade a spade.

It's possible, although unlikely.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    That is well out of order and he's lucky you haven't reported him to HR. You describe your job as very active and that you work long shifts. I am intrigued how this new activity has lead to a 4 stone weight gain?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

It's possible, although unlikely.

Yup. :laugh:
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just had the same thing happen here at work! Was talking about a knee surgery I'm having in a couple months (for a structural issue - nothing related to weight) and a coworker (male) who has only been here for a few months said "I think you need to lose weight - that would help." Was a bit taken aback by it, but my very first thought was this thread! Can't say I was overly hurt by it - I am hoping to lose some weight (20 lbs at the most) - but was more caught off guard that someone would actually say that! Another male coworker came by a few minutes later, asked how my knee is and coworker A said "I told her she needs to lose weight." Coworker B laughed and called Coworker A an idiot - I think even he couldn't believe the other one would say that to me!

As someone said earlier in this thread, I choose to use it as motivation to continue doing what I'm doing.