Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Because it hits the same brain receptors as cocaine, thus we want more and more.

1) you ruined my pig gifs by sneaking in the middle
    2) don't be silly you're equating food which possibly has behavioural addictive properties in some individuals with drugs which are physically addictive through the anticipatory dopamine release that you also get through petting puppies...or pigs

everyone is so quick to jump on a post it was a freaking joke, sarcasm

I personally love to be silly life is too short not to be.

As a side point rats did go for sugar more than cocaine:).

Yes, while being starved they chose the substance that actually had calories. Shocking.

I didn't know they were starved, the study was something I heard a few years ago but never read the study myself.
    I personally know an addict that choses his drugs over food - maybe all don't idk.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Because it hits the same brain receptors as cocaine, thus we want more and more.

2) don't be silly you're equating food which possibly has behavioural addictive properties in some individuals with drugs which are physically addictive through the anticipatory dopamine release that you also get through petting puppies...or pigs

Sarcasm doesn't come across well in text...try emoticons or gifs, pigs are good :bigsmile:

Also rat studies? Fur real? Did you ever see the actual studies, some dubious parameters and exceedingly bad extrapolation by tabloid press ...also never repeated in humans

Point taken on emoticons.

I never actually read the rat study just heard about it. I do believe that there was some human brain scans done on sugar addicts vs cocaine addicts and they had similar scans. BUT it was a joke I don't know anything about it other than what was heard years ago.

I need to work on my humor apparently.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Yes, while being starved they chose the substance that actually had calories. Shocking.

I didn't know they were starved, the study was something I heard a few years ago but never read the study myself.
    I personally know an addict that choses his drugs over food - maybe all don't idk.

The rats weren't cocaine addicts or sugar addicts. They had two choices for "food". Sugar water or cocaine water. They chose the substance that would keep them alive. Not really all that shocking.

If you are stranded on an island, and I'm assuming you aren't addicted to cocaine, and I give you the option of hohos or snorting coke, which are you going with?

I personally don't like hoho's and I've never tried cocaine and I do live on an island, thankfully with lots of options.

But seriously dude it was a joke. No need to prove anything to me I don't really care in terms of proving anything. I'm mildly interested in addiction as I have a distant family member who is severely addicted.

I will work on my humor.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

I hope you're kidding...
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Which are the same receptors that are hit by anything we enjoy..

Which is why I made the joke.

However addiction isn't a joke so hopefully I didn't offend anyone in that area.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Were they starving, or already tripping balls on the cocaine? I've seen the study where they gave the rats heroin and then while still tweaking, gave them the choice between heroine or saccharine. Hmmm.. I wonder which they would choose?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Why?

It doesn't.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    The rats weren't cocaine addicts or sugar addicts. They had two choices for "food". Sugar water or cocaine water. They chose the substance that would keep them alive. Not really all that shocking.

If you are stranded on an island, and I'm assuming you aren't addicted to cocaine, and I give you the option of hohos or snorting coke, which are you going with?

Hohos FTW!

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Both?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

Oh goodness, no. You body can't just magically store fat if in a calorie deficit.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I'm curious what some of the forum regulars make of this article? It make a lot of points they agree with regarding fats but does flirt with the point that sugar may not be an angel

It's been discussed before, although I posted this as a counter: http://www.thenutritionwonk.com/single-post/2016/04/13/Ancel-Keys-and-the-Seven-Country-Study-A-Response-to-The-Sugar-Conspiracy

Excess is never good.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't give you any lasting fullness for the calories.