When will weight really come off?

Options
13»

Replies

• napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    So you lost 6.9 lbs in the first seven weeks, but sometime in the last two weeks you regained appx 3 lbs and in that time frame you also started strength training (in addition to walking). When did you begin strength training? You mentioned two weeks ago you were about 164, now you are 167 - did you weigh yourself at all in the interim? Could you elaborate on "ongoing constipation" (I know it's tmi, but that's what we're here for, lol) - how long has that been going on? Is it simply frequency issues or are you having trouble going, or just doing little rabbit pellets when you are able to go? Did the first seven lbs come off steadily, or was most of it in the first two weeks?

OK here's TMI... After my monthly cycle, I lose the most weight because the extra progesterone makes me go everyday so I was down to about 163. Then after that, I only go like every 3-4 days and even then it's not much. In between those 3-4 days there are pellets. And I'm bloated from it even if I drink tons of water and exercise and eat tons of veggies. So my weight starts creeping back and after my next cycle, I'm back to where I started.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy with that weight loss.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »
    So you lost 6.9 lbs in the first seven weeks, but sometime in the last two weeks you regained appx 3 lbs and in that time frame you also started strength training (in addition to walking). When did you begin strength training? You mentioned two weeks ago you were about 164, now you are 167 - did you weigh yourself at all in the interim? Could you elaborate on "ongoing constipation" (I know it's tmi, but that's what we're here for, lol) - how long has that been going on? Is it simply frequency issues or are you having trouble going, or just doing little rabbit pellets when you are able to go? Did the first seven lbs come off steadily, or was most of it in the first two weeks?

OK here's TMI... After my monthly cycle, I lose the most weight because the extra progesterone makes me go everyday so I was down to about 163. Then after that, I only go like every 3-4 days and even then it's not much. In between those 3-4 days there are pellets. And I'm bloated from it even if I drink tons of water and exercise and eat tons of veggies. So my weight starts creeping back and after my next cycle, I'm back to where I started.

Ok... Earlier you mentioned only getting between 35-50 g of fat per day. Given what you are saying here, it's not a fluid or fiber issue (assuming most o tthose veggies are fibrous ones, as opposed to starchy ones), so that leaves fat. The MFP standard recommendation for fat (in your case 50g per day) should really be viewed as a minimum. Shoot for at least 50 g of fat per day; going over the fat macro is fine, so long as you don't go over on calories. Hopefully that will sort out the constipation. If not, talk to your doctor. I'd increase fats and give it a week. If the constipation is still a problem after that, you need to seek actual medical advice.

• virginiashannon
    virginiashannon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you are walking for exercise, is it a leisure walk or are you getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time? As I am only asking, as I only walk and I do at least an hour and out of that hour my heart rate is up in the high range for 75% of the time (except for Starting and when I am almost finished). Detox your body, I drink a tea every 3-4 days and it works wonders. Since our foods today no longer contain the nutrition content that they should it is imperative to give your body an alternate source of nutrition. I do only these three things and I have had a consistent loss for the past 6 months.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Constipation can definitely be a culprit. So can time of the month, etc. you're doing fine. Track carefully and the weight will come off.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you are walking for exercise, is it a leisure walk or are you getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time? As I am only asking, as I only walk and I do at least an hour and out of that hour my heart rate is up in the high range for 75% of the time (except for Starting and when I am almost finished). Detox your body, I drink a tea every 3-4 days and it works wonders. Since our foods today no longer contain the nutrition content that they should it is imperative to give your body an alternate source of nutrition. I do only these three things and I have had a consistent loss for the past 6 months.

OP is exercising so you suggestion to walk is sort of moot.

Detoxing isn't a thing unless you're addicted to a substance or have ingested something toxic, in which case, get thee to a doctor, don't drink tea.

And what on earth does our "Since our foods today no longer contain the nutrition content that they should" mean?!

OP, I think your conclusion to give it a couple more weeks is perfect at this point.
  • blueboy2526
    blueboy2526 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But the body fat is more "fluffy" and the muscle is more "dense and compact." Muscles take up less space in your body, so body weight may go up as you add compact, tight muscle mass.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    yes..it is the weight training... if puts on false weight for up to six weeks. Stick to your eating plan..keep working out..stay off the scale because the silly half of your mind will get discouraged. If you keep doing what you're doing you'll get fit..thin and healthy.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But the body fat is more "fluffy" and the muscle is more "dense and compact." Muscles take up less space in your body, so body weight may go up as you add compact, tight muscle mass.

While this is true, a woman can naturally gain approximately 0.5 pounds of muscle per month. So it is unlikely that she has gained 3-4 pounds of solid muscle in just 2 weeks.

However, I do like the idea that you are putting out there to use OTHER methods as well as the scale to determine how your fat loss is progressing. Things like photos, body fat calipers, and measurements, can help give you a better overall picture of how you are progressing.

Ultimately, the conclusion to give the scale a couple more weeks to adjust is a good one. Don't get discouraged @napilibay , keep logging. You got this. :wink:
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »

Ok... Earlier you mentioned only getting between 35-50 g of fat per day. Given what you are saying here, it's not a fluid or fiber issue (assuming most o tthose veggies are fibrous ones, as opposed to starchy ones), so that leaves fat. The MFP standard recommendation for fat (in your case 50g per day) should really be viewed as a minimum. Shoot for at least 50 g of fat per day; going over the fat macro is fine, so long as you don't go over on calories. Hopefully that will sort out the constipation. If not, talk to your doctor. I'd increase fats and give it a week. If the constipation is still a problem after that, you need to seek actual medical advice.

So far the extra fat is working. I've been eating 70g per day for two days (mostly nuts and eggs) and feel better. Thanks!