Why is 40 called the, "New Twenty"?

Options

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    @thisonetimeatthegym love the new profile picture...great to finally see ya

As in finally showing up in the thread, or you see something you didn't in the last pic?
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks, show's over. Not much of a show. I just lost all my tolerance for a bit...my sanity is somewhat restored, and those I'm "tolerating" are back on ignore status. Goodnight B)
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Sorry folks, show's over. Not much of a show. I just lost all my tolerance for a bit...my sanity is somewhat restored, and those I'm "tolerating" are back on ignore status. Goodnight B)

Awwwwwwhhhhhhh.....
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

You shouldn't let him wear you down like that...on the internets that just means he won. Which in turn feeds his ego which will eventually turn into something none of us want to see.

So for the sake of the MFP forums...please don't let this happen.

Too late....

He posted food.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Goodnight!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Goodnight!

:/ Please don't go. You were so close.
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Because people can't math. No child left behind, yea right! *snort*

Also denial.

So is 20yrs the new newborn? I'mma confused.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I love the forties so far! Still in awesome shape physically, perhaps fitter than ever, but older, wiser and much more confident than I was in my younger days. But I'd rather be a really fit, energetic, healthy older woman than a mediocre young one any day... B) I see that many of my peers have let themselves go completely, and maybe that's why the 40's can be depressing for some people. I often forget that I'm so old... Sometimes I see people and think they are much older than me, sluggish and bedraggled, but then I find out they're actually younger. :o

It doesn't have to be like that, though. Just take care of yourself. Make your health and fitness a priority. It's the best investment you can make, IMO. I think it's harder at this age to get yourself back into prime shape after you've fallen apart, so to speak, so it's better to just not let yourself go to begin with. I know that whatever state I'm in now will directly influence the way I am a decade from now, so I want to build the best foundation possible for my future.

I plan on being the best version of me indefinitely. (By that, I mean I'm planning on being in great shape physically and mentally for whatever age I'm at.) And I'm taking proactive steps to make sure there's a good chance (barring unforeseen circumstances) that that happens. Luckily, family health history seems to be in my favor, too. I know there are no guarantees, but statistically, practicing healthy behaviors ups your odds of staying healthy. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not 40 yet. And I don't call it the new 20. But, I agree with @jenilla1 and the others. I feel healthy and youthful. I'm going to keep enjoying life and taking care of my health and fitness. Life is short. And we are still young. It's not a midlife crisis if nothing bad is happening and life is just continuing. I'm glad to see so many others feeling that way. But, there are ways that it's better than the 20's. No matter how mature we were then. We are more mature now in many ways. And I am enjoying that. Not that I don't have my moments of forgetting to be mature, though.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Being comfortable with yourself is great, but more often I see it from grown women acting like kids.

...and the problem with that is?

No problem if you don't have people you're responsible for. I think people have misunderstood what I was saying anyways. Like you said, many 20 somethings are ridiculously immature, so why is it so insulting to assume that many people in their 40's don't want to accept their age? That 40 is the new 20 "for many" isn't always about accepting yourself and more being afraid of your age?
  • km8907
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Being comfortable with yourself is great, but more often I see it from grown women acting like kids.

So I do stuff - gymnastics, trapeze, play at the playground, organize pick up games of duck, duck goose, slide down the slide, play on the monkey bars, do splits in the air on the trampoline, do back flips into the pool.

The other moms sit and play on their cell phones and gossip with each other.

Is this what you mean?

Not at all. Thanks for playing though.
  • km8907
    Options
    Also OP, I can't find an origin for the saying, but have a feeling it's something Samantha from Sex and the City would say, and she's cool af, so I'd go with it.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Current average life expectancy for American women is 81.1 years.

Current average life expectancy for American men is 76.4 years.

The collective midpoint for women is 40 years and six months old.

The collective midpoint for men is 38 years and 5 months old.

Men and women older than the collective midpoint, are, on average, past their middle age and have lived more than half their lives already.

And that's pretty much it. The rest of the perky declarations concerning age - including 40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40 and 70 is still young - are exercises in whistling in the dark.

Well at least this isn't depressing. But isn't whistling in the dark still whistling? I don't get it

Darn right you shouldn't be depressed. Men are still rolling up to you in cars and whooping out mating calls when you walk down the street. :wink:

Lol! I'm not worried about turning 40. I spent my twenties pregnant and/or nursing or grappling with pregnancy weight. My thirties have seen me in my best shape and form and I'm not broke! How bad can 40 possibly be?

Yep ..this was me too ..40's have been the best age yet..Im happy to be the healthiest version of my age no matter what it is ..I definitely won't be telling myself cheer up 40 is the new 20. Im a much better version of the 20 year old me anyway..