Weighing and logging.....forever??

Options

Replies

• akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a data-driven guy, also a bit obsessive, so I continue to log (but not weigh--I never did get into weighing my food) even though I'm more than a year into maintenance. For one thing, I find it comforting, a sort of "security blanket;" for another, I've got a new set of nutrition goals relating to fitness and body recomp, so it's still a useful exercise. But finally, also, I rather enjoy it -- for me logging is like doing crossword puzzles. (I told you I was obsessive.)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    After being able to maintain my weight for more than a year, I really thought I would stop logging this year to see how I did. But then I had major abdominal surgery the first of this year that forced me to be less active and I was worried about gaining weight plus the surgeon told me to up my protein while I was healing. I was good and hooray! no weight gain!

Then I thought in July I would stop logging in August just to see how I did. And promptly after making that decision came up with a herniated disc that required surgery. Back to sedentary for awhile.... Not a good time to stop logging.

So I will be logging for life it appears since deciding to not log apparently triggers the Logging Gods into messing with me.

I actually don't mind doing it, it doesn't take much time and it's really handy for menu planning and I have to weigh my husband's food anyway (for medical reasons). I just thought it would be interesting to see how I do without logging.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for nearly a year, and it's been a total struggle. I weigh and track nearly every day, and pay attention EVERY day. I'm JUST starting to get the hang of balancing life with food and exercise....but I don't trust myself to not "relapse"...so I weigh, measure and track as much as is possible.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have MFP bookmarked on my laptop, and the app on my phone. I find it requires very little effort to log foods, and the fact that I eat the same favorites makes it easy to find them in my database. Over time, i find that I'm better at estimating portion sizes; for example, with peanut butter (a lunch favorite) I measured out 2 tablespoons for a serving, then after a while put the tablespoon on the table next to the jar and eyeballed a portion, then I didn't need the spoon any more. I can measure out a one ounce serving of almonds by the feel in my hand, and it's accurate to within a nut or two.

I like weighing and logging because it keeps me accountable to myself. I find it's not a burden at all. How long will I do it? Until I know I've completely internalized the process, or until I die, whichever comes first.
  • steve_woodson
    steve_woodson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    logging and daily workout go hand in glove for me, I do not weigh food "mooo" but give it best guess. I have more energy and a better outlook on life with workouts and loggin, so that makes it easy to continue
  • Amanda_1973
    Amanda_1973 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will be going into maintenance mode very soon and plan on logging as I do now, I think it's the only way I'm going to be accountable and keep this weight off for a lifetime, it's become a habit anyway so I don't know if it's going to be too big of a deal to continue logging, plus that "streak" quota that MFP provides I find very satisfying and motivating, I'm logged in now going for over 260 days in a row, I'm very excited to see what happens when it goes to 365 lol. (Yeah I know I'm weird lol) having said all this, it's one prerogative and whatever works for you is what will work best, so if you don't have to log and keep yourself maintained I think it's great.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    KboxU wrote: »
    This is all good information! I've lost 20 lbs. and I have 5 to 10 to go. I've never had to lose over 10lbs because I've always intervened and lost unwanted lbs. when my clothes got snug, or if the #'s on the scale increase. Earlier this year, my dear mom passed away and my lbs. seemed to increase in a mere 4 weeks, on top of the extra 10 that were just along for the ride. Losing 20 was a challenge, but I can say that being in gym was one of the things that helped to save my life, after my mom passed. We were so close...and the workouts helped to offset some of the stress and extra pounds I picked up. Anyway, now, being within 5 to 10lbs. away, I'm planning for maintenance and I do not want to have to lose again anytime soon. It's much more enjoyable for me to workout for fun vs. having to lose the lbs. :-)

Well done! I have a similar story, after losing my Dad, the weight piled on, lost 26lbs so far and would like to lose another 22lbs.

I can't wait to get to the stage of working out just for fun
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging and haven't for about a month. I've actually lost a few lbs. I still weigh myself every other day. I have found I fluctuate 2/3lbs in a week which is fine by me. I don't deprive myself of anything but have found that I make better choices now I'm more aware of calorie content and I physically can't binge eat anymore. It's takes less food to make me feel full now. I think I lost those lbs because my activity level went up with a new job. I couldn't imagine logging forever either!!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is the only time I've ever maintained my weight loss. Every other time I've lost it and re-gained it because my portion sizes just crept up. Now I weigh and log every day and it works for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    This is the only time I've ever maintained my weight loss. Every other time I've lost it and re-gained it because my portion sizes just crept up. Now I weigh and log every day and it works for me.

I'll probably continue to weigh everything except for during vacation weeks too.

My eyes are not accurate gauges at all. Except for measuring butter. I can nail down 5 grams of butter like a pro. I hardly ever eat it, though.
  • quinngetsshredded
    quinngetsshredded Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly I stopped– I got to my goal weight, I no longer needed to track it, and I felt like I had gotten a fairly good idea for what a "normal" portion size looked like.

Now I've gone back up over the past couple of years (as a result of eating more junk food, starting university, and not exercising), so I'm using this as a way to reset my eating and exercise habits to healthier ones.

I'll likely stop tracking again when I get back in the groove of things.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I weighed food and logged daily for six months. I'm still in deficit mode, but experimented with not logging or weighing for the past two weeks and continued losing weight. So... I'm not going to return to it unless I feel like it or need to (weight loss slows, need a portion size refresher course, or macro tracking).

This will be a longer-term experiment, because my goal after reaching maintenance is to not log. I was a always within a normal weight range until I hit my early forties, then gained weight slowly in the years after that. So, the six months of logging was very educational on how I need to eat for my current lifestyle. I weigh myself often; that and how my clothing fits should be enough of an early warning system to stave off weight gain once I reach maintenance. I hope!
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I did this for 1 year once i hit maintenance i loggeed most days for a few weeks but now i rarely ever log a full day and its been weeks im actually a half lb under my goal weight. I onow what foods are good for me and what arent so i know if i have pancakes and sausage for breakfast not to eat pizza for dinner. If i have fruit and yogurt for breakfast i know i can get fries with my burger during dinner.

Heres a great rule. Eat good food that you enjoy but is healthy 90% of the time everyone wants those 10% dont deprive yourself. Only eat when youre hungry not when youre bored or sad. And only eat until youre full not stuffed. Try using a salad plate for meals no a full dinner plate. I do this everyday and ive kept my weight off just fine.
  • LB551
    LB551 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Few years back I never logged, but then again I was very discipline. I was a runner and ate everything, but in moderation. Never went to the gym and was in the best shape of my life. I enjoy logging. It keeps me in check.Once I become comfortable with the foods that I eat. I will probably stop logging.
  • quimbytimmons
    quimbytimmons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'll probably log my food and exercise forever, or as long as possible. I have overcome a terrible food addiction and I'm pre-diabetic so I need to see my macros and micros quickly. I don't mind it at all and even enjoy logging as it keeps me honest and nutrition oriented.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It boggles my mind that I managed to maintain a healthy weight for the first 40 years of my life without worrying about gaining an ounce , and now i have to count every single calorie to maintain my weight :confounded:
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    1.5 years after reaching maintenance I still log probably 90% of the time. I'm not super accurate unless i'm bulking/cutting and I only tend to weigh things like meat and dairy where a being a little off can make a significant difference. I also don't stress it if I feel like taking a break from logging for a bit; I think I have the whole intuitive eating thing down but it still scares me sometimes. Like many others I have lost and gained weight before and am determined to make it forever this time so if it turns out that logging forever will be the tool I need to maintain this forever than so be it.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'll likely log for a long time. I get something out of the routine and the security of knowing how much I'm eating. I may relax it some, but I really doubt it. It feeds my OCD in a glorious way :wink: