Starting keto

Options
2»

Replies

• TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm week 3 and holding strong! I'm the only person on my friend's list doing it thus far. 10lbs down, rocking and rolling! The more the merrier!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jmcdao wrote: »
    I am following a diet that is basically Keto (low carb, no grains, etc).

Is there a real value to actually getting the strips and peeing on them, to make sure you are in Ketosis?
    Or are you guys not that hardcore?

I've been trying to decide how all-in to go :)

The strips are okay, but they are only measuring excess ketone bodies in your urine, not necessarily how "deep" into ketosis you are. I would use them anecdotally at best.
  • ksnegirl
    ksnegirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I just started 2 weeks ago. Always looking for keto friends!
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Zilia81 wrote: »
    Day 6 on keto.
    I use coconut oil to get most of my fats, but also using a lot of mascarpone. I have started adding psyllium husks to my morning english muffin, to get enough fiber to get smth moving. Although I`m drinking lots of water and enough fibers, I`m really constipated and bloated. That`s a bit annoying. I`m thinking that I may consume too much dairy?

Lots of avacado and a actually drink 2 tbs of avacado oil
  • gamemember732
    gamemember732 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jmcdao wrote: »
    I am following a diet that is basically Keto (low carb, no grains, etc).

Is there a real value to actually getting the strips and peeing on them, to make sure you are in Ketosis?
    Or are you guys not that hardcore?

I've been trying to decide how all-in to go :)

Those keto strips are not that helpful, they can only show that your urin contains a huge amount of ketones which is only the case for1-2 days after you enter ketosis OR if you strat eating carbs again and are no longer in ketosis.They only meassure your "excess" ketones. So keep that money and spend it on some avocados/nuts/berries or bacon.

• kattastrophe11
    kattastrophe11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just started keto on the 10th. It's going well so far. The first few days were rough cause I felt like I was starving... I'm guessing it was from body chemistry changing from burning glucose to ketones but I wouldn't k,ow cause I'm not a scientist and I don't understand this diet much. I was kind of forced into it because my husband started it and he cooks all the meals... :)
  • hillydeedot
    hillydeedot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I started Keto by choice on 10/4/16. It helped my brother drop some serious weight, and decided to give it a shot. I had what they called the Keto flu and it was rough. I figured out from talking to others on Keto that I wasn't getting enough good fat in. I started adding coconut oil to my coffee and made some peanut butter/chocolate/coconut fat bombs. It's getting better and I'm down 10lbs. Good luck to you and your husband!
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Gonna start cooking with coconut flour too. I'm out to sea on my ship and it's been hell of a week.

You should be eating HEAPS of fish! Jealous haha
  • Aydeejai
    Aydeejai Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I want to start keto but where to start? Someone hold my hand...
  • Sexybbw83
    Sexybbw83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started Tuesday....very new doing lots of research and processing to make sure i am not putting myself in danger..
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Been doing the Bulletproof Diet (cyclical keto) for several weeks and I feel great! I've been cooking lots of keto snacks and desserts as well, they keep me satisfied! like keto bread using almond powder and psyllium husk and seeds/nuts. tastes incredible and yeah, totally low carb :) eat it with lots of grass-fed ghee! Keto brownies, cheesecake, you name it. but starting the day with a cup of Bulletproof Coffee is a must. intermittent fasting with this coffee makes it very easy to keep the ketosis!