Dealing with others comments

Options
13»

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that I look like I'm 12. I'm 47. I like to think she was going for a compliment and just got the number wrong, but I'm not sure.

I was told by a neighbor not to lose anymore weight because I "looked better with your weight on. Some people just look better heavier". I usually ignore comments or try to take them in the spirit they were said in, but I admit that one hurt my feelings. I can take it as a compliment when my sister tells me I'm so skinny. I don't really like to be called skinny but I know she means it as a compliment. But I don't think my neighbor was complimenting me. I'm not sure I'd like to be told I look 12 either. Some people you just have to ignore.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, I would just take the motivation of the speaker in mind. If it is someone behaving rudely, I would just look them in the eye and say - pleasantly, but with confidence - "Uh, no, I am not..." - and continue looking them in the eye until they look away.

If it is someone who is just dumb, I would roll my eyes and quickly change the subject. Either way you send the message that the discussion is not welcome.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    "I know my body, and I'm not". Or just ignore them. Depends on who they are and your relationship with them. People say stupid things sometimes without thinking about how the words might impact the receiver.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A guy at the gym told me that I look great, but then said "Don't lose any more weight or you'll lose your boobs"! :/
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    NM
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    walkjem wrote: »
    A guy at the gym told me that I look great, but then said "Don't lose any more weight or you'll lose your boobs"! :/

You would be within your right to report him for that comment.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I ignore all comments. Eventually people get used to The New You and stop commenting and life goes on.

The funniest thing is when people who didn't know you before hear people commenting on The New You and how "different" you are. I don't know, for some reason I always find that amusing.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I ignore all comments. Eventually people get used toThe New You and stop commenting and life goes on.

The funniest thing is when people who didn't know you before hear people commenting on The New You and how "different" you are. I don't know, for some reason I always find that amusing.

I like seeing "before & after" photographs. The differences are so stunning that the same person doesn't even look like he or she did in the before. It is mind boggling sometimes.
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    walkjem wrote: »

Unbelievable, I can't believe how horrendous some humans are :'(
  • escschwartz
    escschwartz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Since I recently had a physical, I can honestly answer that "my doctor is thrilled" which usually shuts up most people. In fact I am right where the doctor told me me wanted me years ago. I usually preface it with "I'm not sick" since some friends worried that I had some medical issue that caused the loss and they are genuinely concerned for me.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    elleelle03 wrote: »
    emawbey wrote: »
    138shades wrote: »
    I don't take anything to serious. I mean my own opinion is the only one I accept in all actuality.

Ha I am trying to get more like this day by day, I care so much what others think but why is their opinion more valid than mine?

One of the good things about growing old is you care less about what others think... see what you have to look forward to!

Truth. Every decade that passes this becomes more and more evident. I'm 51, and at this point I give about zero f**ks. Liberating to say the least; wish I was of that mindset in my twenties.
  • Gracious_Plum
    Gracious_Plum Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I often get told "Why do you bother with gym/eating healthy? You're already thin!"... my reply "exactly" B)
    It's going to the gym and eating well that keeps me like this! :|
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When people comment on how others look, how they dress, or how much they weigh, it has more to do with them than it does with you. When you feel beautiful you can find beauty in everyone around you. If you and your doctor are happy with where you are than that's the important thing. If the comments really upset you maybe you could keep a journal to let some of those feelings out so they don't mount up.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    oops responded to old thread
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar query (with my old MFP account) - the comments were really getting me down. What a few people said turned out to be true - wait it out, people will get used to your thinner size eventually and will stop commenting. I'm pleased to say, that's been the case for me. I rarely get comments now, and when I do, it bothers me less. I know I'm not too thin, I know I'm taking really good care of myself with my diet and my exercise, so the occasional comments slide off me nowadays.