Scale Stress Syndrome

Replies

• YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    I hate the scale. That's why I focus on body fat measurements and the size of my clothes
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Lets keep this bumped..

This to me is the single number 1 subject that gets discussed in the forums every single day. Such as "Why did I gain 3 pounds from yesterday or the weekend", or "Why am I exercising more, eating at a deficit and now gaining weight"?

I still hate seeing the daily fluctuations, I no longer freak out, but nonetheless, it is a real part of your weight, it not just fat and muscle, organs and other tissue that make up your body!!

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Just a little bump.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    I can't take my scale seriously. I have to get on it 4-5 times just to make sure I get an "accurate" number. It will literally sometimes give me 3 different numbers everytime I get on. And I never even change it's position.

It's a conspiracy!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited August 2016
    I can't take my scale seriously. I have to get on it 4-5 times just to make sure I get an "accurate" number. It will literally sometimes give me 3 different numbers everytime I get on. And I never even change it's position.

It's a conspiracy!!!!
    I do it twice and take the bigger number. If there's a big gap between numbers, I weigh a 3rd and then just average it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2016
    "ninerbuff wrote: »
    I do it twice and take the bigger number. If there's a big gap between numbers, I weigh a 3rd and then just average it out

I do something similar.

I know my weight doesn't vary THAT much from day to day and, if I get a reading 1# or more up or down from the previous day, it's probably due to retained water or bowel weight. So, I just log 50% of the difference.

This doesn't affect the trendline and helps make the chart look much less erratic.

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Great advice. Bump.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    bump
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    this post speaks to me. just posted a discussion about that today.
    will read member's posts. hopefully it will keep me focused
  • mwopm3
    mwopm3 Posts: 21 Member
    I just started MFP 3 weeks ago and was afraid to step on scale. Someone here sent me this thread and it helped so much! I did the dirty deed and discovered I was 5 pounds heavier than I hoped in my mind. But it has turned into a motivator. I love the emphasis on long term trends, and how your clothes feel and Heath overall. It's hard to keep it in perspective sometimes but right now I have more motivation than I've had in a couple of years so I'm enjoying this moment!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Should be bumped everyday. This topic comes up many times every day! :)
  • ninerbuff
    bump
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Seems a good place to ask a question. I weigh daily and it seems that it takes 2 days for a bad day to show up on the scale. So yesterday I was watching Hockey all day, eating pizza and drinking Crown. Still logged everything and didn't go over by much (~200 cals) but my weight is down today and I except it to be up tomorrow. Same happened last week after a Sushi night at the all you can eat place in town. Next morning weight was down a bit but up the following day.

Is this my scale being a jerk or is it a result of too much sodium intake taking a day to gain water and then it gets flushed out?

I like weighing daily, but I don't obsess over the number. It's been going down (~20lbs in 5 weeks but starting at ~325 so I know it will slow down) but it does bounce around a bit.
  • ninerbuff
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Seems a good place to ask a question. I weigh daily and it seems that it takes 2 days for a bad day to show up on the scale. So yesterday I was watching Hockey all day, eating pizza and drinking Crown. Still logged everything and didn't go over by much (~200 cals) but my weight is down today and I except it to be up tomorrow. Same happened last week after a Sushi night at the all you can eat place in town. Next morning weight was down a bit but up the following day.

Is this my scale being a jerk or is it a result of too much sodium intake taking a day to gain water and then it gets flushed out?

I like weighing daily, but I don't obsess over the number. It's been going down (~20lbs in 5 weeks but starting at ~325 so I know it will slow down) but it does bounce around a bit.
    Normal fluctuations. People think it takes food only a couple of hours to digest, but after a meal it takes about 6 to 8 hours to digest through the intenstinal tract. Nothing to worry about if your weight is consistently going down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Just bumping useful old threads. Nothing to see here.

tumblr_mrn2cgaqTW1r065evo1_1280.gif
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    I'm working really hard and am up 2 straight weeks in a row for a total of 3.8lbs. I was distraught this morning after my 2lb gain this week. I have so much more to loose. It's just so damned hard, I am sore all the time from cardio & lifting, go to bed and wake up hungry almost every day and that kind of feedback feels like a punch to the gut. I'm glad I saw this thread. I'll keep at it.
  • ninerbuff
    bscmcse wrote: »
    I'm working really hard and am up 2 straight weeks in a row for a total of 3.8lbs. I was distraught this morning after my 2lb gain this week. I have so much more to loose. It's just so damned hard, I am sore all the time from cardio & lifting, go to bed and wake up hungry almost every day and that kind of feedback feels like a punch to the gut. I'm glad I saw this thread. I'll keep at it.
    Just remember that weight loss isn't linear. Exact execution in two consecutive weeks may not result the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I haven't been stepping on the scale. It crushes me every time I see that number. I can't look anymore. I'm just going to try to be kind to myself, stick to a moderate deficit, and hopefully look good by May or something.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I weigh daily. It's so frustrating to see the number not budge when you are doing everything right. Thankfully, I have come to accept it in these past 6 months hs of losing weight. After beginning a lifting program this past week, I am swollen and sore...and 2 lbs heavier on the scales. I know when I go to my dietician for a weigh-in on Thursday, I will have more of an idea as to what is going on - how much fat mass I lost, how much water weight I am holding, how much I actually lost or gained. So, I am trying not to let it get to me.
  • ninerbuff
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I haven't been stepping on the scale. It crushes me every time I see that number. I can't look anymore. I'm just going to try to be kind to myself, stick to a moderate deficit, and hopefully look good by May or something.
    The best result is how you look and how your clothes fit. The scale is just a measurable tool of weight and doesn't designate what that weight actually is (fat, muscle, water).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png