11---pt appointment
    12---sore/rest
    13---35 minutes bike trainer/2.45 TM walk/few weights
    14---4.4 walk
    15---4.8 walk
    16---2 poké walk
    17---2.1 Robbers Cave hike.
    18---4.2 Rough Canyon hike (corrected)
    19--- Travel home, PT. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my PT?
    20---1.5 poké walk
    21---1k poké walk
    22---3. 2 mile walk
    23---rest
    24---4.7 Walk felt rather strong. Ugh, but once I sit for the ride home I'm stiff. I think I need a hot tub. :blush:

49.42/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Joining late!

Did some running around on the Orange trail loop at Shawnee Mission Park today. Decided it would be a clockwise sort of day and eeked out 3 loops. I had to hop over a turtle. Other than that just other runners, bikers and hikers (and of course, dogs). I was tempted to head over to some challenging trails at Wyandotte County Lake Park (@7lenny7 knows which ones) but decided against it due to both time and injury risk since today was supposed to be an endurance run. I keep noticing my ankles get a bit wobbly towards the end of long runs, so I'm sticking to easier stuff for the longer runs for now.

Since I'm not 100% sure that I know what distance I have run (since my Garmin is not recording my routes for some reason) and since I don't really care all that much how far, but more about how long and what sort of effort it feels like, I am not going to track my miles. :smile: Instead, I will track things based on how the run went.

10/24 - Turtle!

event.png

Welcome back friend!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I just have a normal, lined notebook that I write in when I run. I write when and where I went, what the weather was like, what I wore, how I felt and a little reflection. It helps me loads to look back, particularly now the season has changed and I can't remember what was best to wear for X degrees/wind/no wind etc because it's been six months since I wore anything other than vest and shorts. It has also helped me a lot to work out some good nutrition strategies as I often reflect on that as an influence on my run. If I want to see the specific pace/route data for my run when I read it back then I can just find it on strava, I have no time for doubling up!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just realized that my off season running plan is actually higher MPW then the first week or 2 of the marathon training plans I'm looking at...LOL....good problem to have. Edit: Just realized how cocky that sounds...I'm actually just amazed at how far I've come.

Thanks all for the notebook/journal suggestions. I'm going to go notebook shopping this week to find something. I'm giving myself this week "off" and going to start tracking/journaling my running starting next week.

AND I just did something I would have never thought possible a year ago. I just mapped out my first 20 mile route for training. Crazy to think that about 11 months ago I ran a solid (no walking) 5k distance for the first time ever.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 20 miles
    10/2: 4.6 miles (am), 5.4 miles (pm)
    10/3: 6 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/4: 5 miles (am), 10 miles (pm)
    10/5: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.5 miles
    10/7: 9.5 miles
    10/8: 6 miles with a 5k in the middle
    10/9: 4 miles
    10/10: Oh my god finally a rest day
    10/11: 10 miles
    10/12: 6 miles (am), 4.2 miles (pm)
    10/13: 8 miles (am), 6.4 miles with the Thursday crew
    10/14: Rest day
    10/15: 7.3 miles with the Saturday crew
    10/16: 2 miles + 13.1 HM
    10/17: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew
    10/18: 7.5 miles
    10/19: 5.7 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    10/20: Rest (am), 8.1 miles solo + 6.2 miles group (pm)
    10/21: Rest day
    10/22: 10 miles with the Saturday crew
    10/23: 20 miles with friends!
    10/24: 6 miles

2.5 roads / 3.5 trails. I'm liking this afternoon trail running-as-recovery thing. I knew that I'd need to sleep in today after 20 yesterday + 2.6 miles hiking + a party keeping me up late Saturday night, and I looked forward to my run ALL DAY at work today. And it was beautiful when I went out: sunny, 60F and change, breezy, plus the park wasn't too crowded.

I'm learning to follow trail blazes and markers, so today my goal was to follow a couple specific trails and I did a good job! I followed the white blazes for almost the entire white loop until I cut over to yellow and then back to white because something hidden in the trees growled at me fairly menacingly... I don't wanna get eaten by some fuzzy creature! Besides that, I followed all the other colors I'd planned on pretty much perfectly. It sounds like a crazy simple goal (follow the blazes / don't get lost!), but I realized that if I want to do a trail race I want to know how to look out for blazes and markings, not learn on the go!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k: 21:26
    10/16: Superhero Halloween Half Marathon: 1:42:24
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Goal: 3:30 or better)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift that sounds like a great run...Wish I didn't get totally turned around on my first trail run.....
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun good job, you did it!!! Very close to getting under your goal time, which sounds like considering the weather and all that was an accomplishment! Congratulations. It's a great learning experience, isn't it? I feel you on having all the runners pass you - I know with my out and back half that it was a bit discouraging seeing all those people coming back before I was at the halfway point. But we know we have to run our own race of course. So happy for you in meeting this goal!

My running update - thanks to those of you who encouraged me. Especially the person who said that if you quit now you have to start from nothing again. That's what I'm thinking about and want to avoid!

Date :::: Miles :::: Oct total (goal 50)
    10/01/16 :::: 5.8 :::: 5.8
    10/02/16 :::: 2.8 :::: 8.6
    10/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.8
    10/04/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 13.9
    10/05/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.9
    10/06/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 16.1
    10/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.1
    10/08/16 :::: 1.2 :::: 17.3
    10/09/16 :::: 13.1 :::: 30.4
    10/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/11/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/13/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/14/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/15/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4
    10/16/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 32.6
    10/17/16 :::: 1.4 :::: 33.9
    10/18/16 :::: 5.4 :::: 39.3
    10/19/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 39.3
    10/20/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 39.3
    10/21/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 39.3
    10/22/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 39.3
    10/23/16 :::: 5.0 :::: 44.3
    10/24/16 :::: 2.0 :::: 46.3

Today - 2 miles running with Stella! I'm trying a new front-clip harness with her and it worked almost like magic to keep her from pulling so much. I think I mentioned it in my last post that I was able to do a nice long hike with her on Sunday so I decided to give running a go today. She did so well. A little bit of crossing over in front of me that I had to be alert to, but she was pretty focused and all business. Pace was a bit slower and a bit more erratic than I wanted, but I think we'll get it together. I need to get a hands-free leash though because it is really hard to keep one arm holding the leash. I have one in my Amazon cart so I will just go ahead and order. I'm excited that I seem to have a running buddy just like I hoped!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic good job getting out there again! You'll be back in the swing of things in no time! Also, it's awesome that Stella is becoming a good running buddy!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @runrachellerun fantastic job on your first HM. Woohoo
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    10/3: 6 miles
    10/4: 3 miles
    10/9: 26.2 miles -- Chicago Marathon
    10/13: 3 miles
    10/15: 3 miles
    10/18: 3 miles
    10/20: 4 miles
    10/22: 3 miles
    10/23: 6 miles
    10/24: 3 miles

Today was a short recovery run done intended to be done at a 10 pace. I finished at 29:45 (9:55 pace), so not too far off. I can definitely feel myself improving because this felt like a walk in the park and I had to hold myself back from going too fast. I could have done at least another mile or two at this pace without stopping, which really made me wish I slowed it down just a bit in the beginning of my 6-miler yesterday because I probably could have avoided walking. Ah well, it's what I will strive for next time. I really need to make myself do my knee exercises because I can feel a bit of runner's knee rearing it's head.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun - Congrats on doing what so many will never even attempt, and kudos on seeing it through to the finish! Don't sweat the time on your first half. It really is a challenging distance to first achieve compared to 5/10k.:smile:
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Has anybody run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati? I'm considering making it my spring marathon, though I kind of wish there was another close-ish marathon in the first half of April. Any suggestions? For reference, I'm located in central Ohio.

@louubelle16 Woohoo for no hip pain!
    @juliet3455 Wtg on the hills! During the San Diego RnR marathon a few years ago, I saw a sign halfway up the big hill at mile 20 that said "We eat hills for breakfast." I love that and think of it to help me power through my breakfast of hills sometimes, haha
    @zmcgrandles Hope the calf/knee injury ends up being minor!
    @HeatherMN Thanks! Sometimes we just need a weekend off...hope you enjoyed yours :)
    @BeeerRunner Thank you! I'm jealous you have a Zero Runner at your gym as I've wanted to try one for awhile now. Hope it helps with marathon training!
    @Stoshew71 The Kentucky Derby Marathon was my first marathon in 2014 and where my love for horse racing started. Not a bad course from what I can remember...I'll probably go back and run it again at some point.
    @mom3over40 Wtg on a great run and maintaining a PR pace!
    @9voice9 Sorry about the run but we all have days like those. You'll get it next time!
    @MNLittleFinn Congrats on officially being registered for your first full marathon!
    @RunRachelleRun Congratulations on your half marathon!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running daily check in:

Today was planned as a rest day anyway, after running intervals 2 days in a row; but I was feeling the Achilles just a bit walking barefoot in the hallway this morning. It wasn't painful or even particularly bothersome; but there was a sensation there, where there hadn't been the past few days. Then the morning hallway jog while the eggs cook confirmed that a rest day is the correct plan for today. I was able to get some brisk walking in later, but I have to be mindful of distance and intensity even while walking.

I expect to feel better tomorrow morning than this morning, and I look forward to hearing what the PT has to say about how my progression is going.

@mom3over40 - The resemblance of what I'm doing to a beginner 5K plan is not accidental. I reasoned that when I first turned myself into a runner, my calves ached all the time. The plan had me running intervals, and never running consecutive days. So perhaps treating injury recovery with intervals and rest days would help recovery, same as the beginner 5K plan allowed for calf development. As far as longer walking intervals, I don't know. I never took longer than 1 minute walking in my beginner 5K plan. I think the longer walking intervals in some beginner plans were put there for people who need a lot of cardio development; but cardio isn't my problem. My problems are all with muscle and tendon development and injury. Cardio trains faster than muscles, and much faster than tendons; so I probably won't even notice how much cardio I lose.

@MNLittleFinn - If your off season MPW are higher than the starting MPW for the marathon training plan you're looking at, there are a couple of things you could do. You could skip a week or two and start where your MPW are; or you could look for a more aggressive marathon training plan. Or you could just chill out and enjoy being more prepared than the plan calls for. Don't ask me which is the best option; I haven't figure out what's the best way for me to prepare for a marathon.
  • TGTiger
    TGTiger Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    8.5 to go
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'm actually thinking I'll do the chill and take it easy option. If I feel it's not enough I can always add more time/miles in, but cutting back a bit to begin training wouldn't be bad. My winter base building should have me in good shape for marathon training come mid February, looking at 18 weeks of training plan running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! @Orphia! So glad to see you back!
  • lavender624flood
    lavender624flood Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing averaging 6k steps per day in October.