Can i lose 40 lbs in 4months?

Options
124»

Replies

• 2bbetteremma
    2bbetteremma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    2048Bit wrote: »
    You absolutely CAN lose forty pounds in four months. It really depends on how badly you want it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Thus far I've lost just shy of 100 pounds since last Christmas, and admittedly, I've been stale for the last two to three months. I'm 33 years old, and was sitting at between 800-1000 calories per day. With that, I was hitting the gym twice per day, five days per week.

The only slight caveat I would have is that you might want to check with a medical professional if you're not 100% healthy. My weight loss was supervised by my doctor. I asked him what his thoughts were about eating as few as 1000 or less calories, and he essentially explained to me that you essentially can't starve to death if you have stored fat. In fact, for morbidly obese patients he puts then on 800-1000 calorie per day diets.

It doesn't seem like it, but 1000 calories can actually be a lot of food if you're eating the right kind of foods. Almost any veggies are great, fruits can be a little tricky as they can be higher in sugars and carbs. Fish, chicken and some beef are good. I say some beef, I mean, in moderation as its a little more fatty and calorie rich than chicken and fish.

At the end of the day don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose it, you absolutely can. I'm going back on this plan starting tomorrow (just finished making all my meals for tomorrow). My goal is to lose another 25 pounds on the next 45 days.

What meals will you be eating hun? I need guidence I've got 4 stone to shift!!
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very heavy, it is unlikely. What you CAN do is make some serious progress that you otherwise wouldn't have in that time. I would strive for 5 lbs a month, and if you get more, celebrate.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 70lbs in under 6 months, along with my hair, due to extreme calorie & nutritional deficit. It took me a while to get back on track. Slow & steady wins the race! Good luck to you!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    em50fan wrote: »
    You absolutely CAN lose forty pounds in four months. It really depends on how badly you want it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Thus far I've lost just shy of 100 pounds since last Christmas, and admittedly, I've been stale for the last two to three months. I'm 33 years old, and was sitting at between 800-1000 calories per day. With that, I was hitting the gym twice per day, five days per week.

The only slight caveat I would have is that you might want to check with a medical professional if you're not 100% healthy. My weight loss was supervised by my doctor. I asked him what his thoughts were about eating as few as 1000 or less calories, and he essentially explained to me that you essentially can't starve to death if you have stored fat. In fact, for morbidly obese patients he puts then on 800-1000 calorie per day diets.

It doesn't seem like it, but 1000 calories can actually be a lot of food if you're eating the right kind of foods. Almost any veggies are great, fruits can be a little tricky as they can be higher in sugars and carbs. Fish, chicken and some beef are good. I say some beef, I mean, in moderation as its a little more fatty and calorie rich than chicken and fish.

At the end of the day don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose it, you absolutely can. I'm going back on this plan starting tomorrow (just finished making all my meals for tomorrow). My goal is to lose another 25 pounds on the next 45 days.

Out of all of the solid advice given here warning against rapid weight loss, *this* is the post you respond to? :(

This^^^ beat me to it.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Let's get real....I am not trying to start an argument, but.....you have only lost 11 pounds in 7 months. Why haven't you lost the weight already?

I've been debating for a while on whether or not to respond to what you wrote. I decided that for the sake of OP, I needed to. What you wrote is extremely rude and incredibly insensitive. She has lost weight, and that is the important part regardless of the road she has ahead of her. Didn't your mother ever tell you if you didn't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all? Shame on you. Losing weight is one of the most difficult things a person can do. They certainly don't need snarky remarks from somebody they don't even know. I was asking for advice, not insults.

OP- just keep plugging along. Losing it slowly is the way to go, trust me.

there are two viewpoints on this to be honest.

one is yes, it was rude.
    the other is, 11lbs in 7 months is not really trying hard at all.

sometimes people just need to hear the truth

i disagree 100% with this.
    all things considered, equal effort does not necessarily correspond with equal results. you have to take into account knowledge, technique, execution, starting stats. that's why cliches like "work smarter not harder" exist.
    this just came off as judgmental with a side of ubiquitous tough love nonsense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

Out of all of the solid advice given here warning against rapid weight loss, *this* is the post you respond to? :(

This^^^ beat me to it.

Exactly what I was going to say...

It's examples like this that I find most disappointing, when people clearly only focus on the advice they wanted to hear regardless of how illogical, irrelevant, unnecessary, and potentially dangerous it may be.

Ding, ding, ding!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I know getting to your goal quickly sounds appealing, but there are considerable health risks assiciated with it. The poster you quoted was under care of his doctor.

You can still be overweight and malnourished, and that's the risk. Fatigue, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, decreased strength. Your body can only take so much from fat stores in a day, the rest comes from non-fat tissues. Hair thins, nails become brittle. If serious enough organ function can be affected (brain, kidney, liver, etc). A friend of mine had a seizure, but that was a very extreme case. The other symptoms are more likely. This isn't an all inclusive list, just trying to get you to see there is a reason no one else was supporting that posters methods.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Maybe this is a misunderstanding. People aren't telling you that you "can't" lose 40 pounds in 4 months, they're telling you that you"shouldn't".

The problem with crash diets is that you burn too much muscle...with the loss of muscle you end up with a permanently slowed metabolism...you go back to eating like "normal" after the diet is done and end up gaining more than you lost.

If you aim for a pound a week, you'll still go down a full size and a half in a month!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

Maybe this is a misunderstanding. People aren't telling you that you "can't" lose 40 pounds in 4 months, they're telling you that you"shouldn't".

The problem with crash diets is that you burn too much muscle...with the loss of muscle you end up with a permanently slowed metabolism...you go back to eating like "normal" after the diet is done and end up gaining more than you lost.

If you aim for a pound a week, you'll still go down a full size and a half in a month!

there is no guarantee that 4-5 lbs in a month will mean she will go down a full size and a half. she may or may not. but its still a safer rate of loss
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

there is no guarantee that 4-5 lbs in a month will mean she will go down a full size and a half. she may or may not. but its still a safer rate of loss

I thought I saw her measurements were the same as mine when I started...It's a reasonable estimate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I thought I saw her measurements were the same as mine when I started...It's a reasonable estimate.

it all has to do with how shes shaped(body composition),genetics,where she loses the fat,etc. I mean its possible,but everyone is different even those with similar measurements. for most people to lose a size it takes 10lbs or more,some its less.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

it all has to do with how shes shaped(body composition),genetics,where she loses the fat,etc. I mean its possible,but everyone is different even those with similar measurements. for most people to lose a size it takes 10lbs or more,some its less.

Correct. When I was 50+ lbs overweight (4 stone) it took me 30 pounds to lose a size. That took me from January to April. Bigger sizes means more weight between the sizes.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Just leaving this article on Gallstones, which indicates rapid weight loss as one causative factor:

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/dieting_gallstones/Pages/dieting-and-gallstones.aspx
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Just leaving this article on Gallstones, which indicates rapid weight loss as one causative factor:

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/dieting_gallstones/Pages/dieting-and-gallstones.aspx

Thanks hun!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

That's not the OP. Unless I missed something. Which is quite possible.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Are you seriously trying get advice from someone who recommends an extremely unhealthy fast weight loss and vlcd 800-1000 calories, but ignore all the solid advice in this thread? JFC. Read this:
    I lost almost 70lbs in under 6 months, along with my hair, due to extreme calorie & nutritional deficit. It took me a while to get back on track. Slow & steady wins the race! Good luck to you!
    And this:
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

@em50fan

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yep, this. Even the OP came back on the solid advice and is rethinking her weight loss goal to lose that much in a short amount of time.